Singapore Expats

Can I be employed in SG and be on HK work/study/entrepreneur visa?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
mou-ming

Can I be employed in SG and be on HK work/study/entrepreneur visa?

Post by mou-ming » Tue, 16 Jan 2018 11:37 pm

Hi,

I know the way of how to continue working for my employer in SG but be employed in HK. Is there a way to be employed in SG and somehow be under work/study/entrepreneur visa in HK to be accounted towards getting a PR in HK.

I know MOM has this answer:
"Can a work pass holder work in multiple jobs?

All work pass holders must only work for their designated employer. They must not take on additional jobs or engage in activities to earn additional income in Singapore.

This also applies to training pass holders doing on-the-job training."

But it seems to be applied only to Singapore. Or if it applied to all countries maybe there's a workaround to my problem?

Situation:
I'm employed under EP in SG. I really like my company and team so I want to keep it. I also applied for SG PR recently (that will take 4-6 month to get results). I have an active work visa with HK that ends in a couple of months.

Reason:
- I want to be employed with my SG company.
- I want to see my SG PR application results.
- I want to keep my legal attachment with HK and have a chance for it to count towards getting a PR.

Capabilities:
I can fly back and forth and I can rent apartments in both places. I can sometimes work remotely.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Can I be employed in SG and be on HK work/study/entrepreneur visa?

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 17 Jan 2018 3:02 am

You cannot hold multiple jobs in Singapore. What you do in terms of employment outside of Singapore is up to you and up to your employer. Many employers prohibit employees from moonlighting.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 17 Jan 2018 9:32 am

mou-ming wrote:Hi,

I know the way of how to continue working for my employer in SG but be employed in HK. Is there a way to be employed in SG and somehow be under work/study/entrepreneur visa in HK to be accounted towards getting a PR in HK.

All work pass holders must only work for their designated employer. They must not take on additional jobs or engage in activities to earn additional income in Singapore.

But it seems to be applied only to Singapore. Or if it applied to all countries maybe there's a workaround to my problem?

Situation:
I'm employed under EP in SG. I really like my company and team so I want to keep it. I also applied for SG PR recently (that will take 4-6 month to get results). I have an active work visa with HK that ends in a couple of months.

Reason:
- I want to keep my legal attachment with HK and have a chance for it to count towards getting a PR.

Capabilities:
I can fly back and forth and I can rent apartments in both places. I can sometimes work remotely.

Chances of getting PR in SG, when you are posted overseas is going to be very slim.

Between, are you collecting PR's ? Why do you want to be a PR of both countries?

mou-ming

Post by mou-ming » Wed, 17 Jan 2018 10:40 am

Strong Eagle wrote:You cannot hold multiple jobs in Singapore. What you do in terms of employment outside of Singapore is up to you and up to your employer. Many employers prohibit employees from moonlighting.
So outside Singapore can if my employer is OK? My employer will be fine

mou-ming

Post by mou-ming » Wed, 17 Jan 2018 10:44 am

singaporeflyer wrote:

Situation:

Reason:

Capabilities:

Chances of getting PR in SG, when you are posted overseas is going to be very slim.

Between, are you collecting PR's ? Why do you want to be a PR of both countries?
I'll be mostly in Singapore for the time being. And can rent flats in both places. The reason behind SG PR is because there's a chance to get it like soon soon. Whereas HK PR I need to wait a few years more. And I feel very insecure without a strong legal attachment to any of these countries. Yet my personal preference is in Hong Kong. But at the same time I don't want to miss out a chance getting a PR in SG.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 17 Jan 2018 10:50 am

mou-ming wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:

Situation:

Reason:

Capabilities:

I'll be mostly in Singapore for the time being. And can rent flats in both places. The reason behind SG PR is because there's a chance to get it like soon soon. Whereas HK PR I need to wait a few years more. And I feel very insecure without a strong legal attachment to any of these countries. Yet my personal preference is in Hong Kong. But at the same time I don't want to miss out a chance getting a PR in SG.

Where are you originally from?
What do you do?
How old are you?

If you are not staying physically in SG, the chance of you getting a SG PR, just because you "don't want to miss the chance" will be very very low

mou-ming

Post by mou-ming » Wed, 17 Jan 2018 1:04 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
mou-ming wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:

Where are you originally from?
What do you do?
How old are you?

If you are not staying physically in SG, the chance of you getting a SG PR, just because you "don't want to miss the chance" will be very very low
Hey thanks for replying!

I will stay physically in SG. It's not an issue. So should be fine.

I don't want to evaluate my chances based on my profile. I believe I've got a nice chance.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 17 Jan 2018 1:32 pm

mou-ming wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:You cannot hold multiple jobs in Singapore. What you do in terms of employment outside of Singapore is up to you and up to your employer. Many employers prohibit employees from moonlighting.
So outside Singapore can if my employer is OK? My employer will be fine

Singapore regulations state only that a person on EP cannot work for more than one Singapore company at a time. So long as the other company you are working for does not have a legal presence in Singapore, you will have no issue.

Note however, that if the company you are working for in Hong Kong also has a Singapore presence, then it is a whole new game. For example, if you were working for Dell Hong Kong, you'd have a problem because Dell also has an office in Singapore. Both of these companies will be wholly owned companies of the parent company, Dell USA, and thus you would be in violation of your EP stipulations.

okonu
Regular
Regular

Post by okonu » Thu, 18 Jan 2018 4:01 pm

For PR in both places, you need to show your tax records, and that you are resident. I don't know what the double tax treaty is like between the two, but decent risk you will end up paying fair chunk to both.

As your active visa in HK runs out soon - what are you going to replace it with? For study visa, they are pretty strict with attendance (friends of mine that lost jobs in HK were able to stay by signing up to full time diplomas/ courses at HKU, but it was checked up on)

For work permit visas - HK isn't as strict as MOM, but still your firm needs to show that locals can't do the job, and is a headache for them.

Entrepeneur visa - again, pretty tough to do on a part time basis

All the above are tougher/ subject to more scrutiny if you are mainland chinese

mou-ming

Post by mou-ming » Thu, 18 Jan 2018 4:59 pm

Just received a confirmation from MOM that it's OK. They didn't say anything on when a company I'm employed in another country has a presence in SG though.Image

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 18 Jan 2018 9:35 pm

mou-ming wrote:Just received a confirmation from MOM that it's OK. They didn't say anything on when a company I'm employed in another country has a presence in SG though.
That's because you didn't ask them.

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bcheng74 » Fri, 19 Jan 2018 8:48 am

I actually don’t understand what the OP wants to ask from the forum here. Having an employment relationship in HK while most of his time he will be in SG physically will make his application for HK PR difficult. However he said he is pretty confident that it will work. So wish him good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mou-ming

Post by mou-ming » Fri, 19 Jan 2018 3:17 pm

Just received a message from MOM on the question about being employed in another country with an employer that has a presence in Singapore while holding the EP and working for a Singapore company.

Apparently it's perfectly fine.Image

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 19 Jan 2018 5:14 pm

That's pretty good poo. However, be careful that your HK employer doesn't ask you to preform any duties for them while you are physically in Singapore as that would be in direct violation of their admonition/advice. But at least now you have an affirmative answer direct from the horse's mouth. And, we all learned something as well. :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 19 Jan 2018 10:20 pm

Thank you for sharing. I am surprised they responded that way, and primarily for the reasons that SMS mentioned but also because when you are tax resident in Singapore, it doesn't matter which subsidiary is paying you, it is taxable income in Singapore.

I think you are going to run into trouble with your tax residency status on down the road. If you are tax resident in Singapore, then all the money you earn, including that in HK is subject to Singapore tax (but not HK tax). If you are not tax resident in Singapore, then you are subject to the non-resident rates in Singapore and/or you'll have the reverse situation in HK... resident tax on all your active income.