Singapore Expats

Rental Matter - Dispute

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
GolgiApparatus

Rental Matter - Dispute

Post by GolgiApparatus » Thu, 11 Jan 2018 10:30 pm

Hi, first of all, thanks for letting me join the forum. I need a piece of advice from the experienced expats here. Below is my current situation.

I’ve been staying here in Singapore for almost 6 months, I came and secured a job in August last year. The tenant agreement with my landlord has a clause that states that I must stay at his place for at least a year. Due to personal reason, I am thinking about moving to a better place. I had tried talking to him about my concern, and as expected, the outcome is that my security deposit will be forfeited for breach of contract.
I expressed my disappointment to some friends, and in our discussion, I was told about the stringent rules and regulations of leasing a HDB flat in Singapore. Upon checking with HDB e-service website, my FIN numbers aren’t even on their databases, the search result indicates that I’m not an authorized subtenant and I’m not allowed to stay at the flat.
It seems like I’ve been in the dark since day 1, leaving the place is my top priority now.

My questions are:
1. I see ray of hope, since I am not authorized to stay there, what would be the chance of me to turn the tables in this dispute? Would the violation of laws (by the landlord) be invalidating his contract that he has been using to bind me to the place?
2. My friends are unable to give me a better explanation as they too have never been put in such situation. In such a case that, if the violation is indeed recognized by the government authorities, what would be the consequence(s) to both parties (me and the landlord)?
3. If I were to report him to the authorities, what would be the relevant government departments/offices that I should approach? Would the authorities help me in winning back my money if they decide the landlord is at fault?

Search By

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Rental Matter - Dispute

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 12 Jan 2018 3:26 pm

As it is an illegal rental you can leave anytime, in fact you should now you are aware of this fact. Demand your deposit back or threaten to report him to the HDB. IF an agent is involved notify them that you plan to involve CEA. Illegal rentals is a big no no.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by brian_singapore » Fri, 12 Jan 2018 4:12 pm

What would happen if the LL (or agent) immediately updated the HDB with the tenants particulars?

Would he then be in compliance and able to hold the tenant to their lease?

Or is the fact he didn't at the start of the lease carry through as a violation even if it is corrected now?

howdidoo

Post by howdidoo » Mon, 15 Jan 2018 2:24 pm

I may not be able to advise much, but just wanted to add that my colleague just had a situation last week that her Landlord had not updated HDB records about their rental lease and upon realizing it, the landlord could update HDB within a day online.. So your query that can he do it now, is actually possible, so keep that in mind when you go deep in action.

SebastiaanW

Post by SebastiaanW » Tue, 16 Jan 2018 6:07 pm

Hi,

Take a screenshot of the HDB entry showing that you are not registered. Also, HDB would/should be able to track when the last entry was made in their system.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
Sebastiaan