Singapore Expats

Looking for perspective on Abortion and the USA and rest of the world.

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

Looking for perspective on Abortion and the USA and rest of the world.

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 12 Oct 2016 12:40 pm

As an Aussie I have long been accustomed to the view that abortion is a personal choice (and in my view wrong but the sin is on the people involved; not the country or myself). I struggle to understand conservative Americans who are really only republican because of this single issue. From the stats I've read abortion rose during the GOP admin (because of economics and perhaps a lack of welfare support) and has actually fallen under P. Obama (http://www.politicususa.com/2014/02/03/ ... obama.html).

In Singapore, there are IMO too many abortions which I think is a function of a lack of BC and sex education along with a 'push button solution' mentality but generally most people seem to view it as a sad thing but a personal decision.

I thought this sentence interesting:

"Republicans don’t want the issue of abortion to go away, because it is one of the few ways they can get their evangelical base out to vote. "
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

x9200

Re: Looking for perspective on Abortion and the USA and rest of the world.

Post by x9200 » Wed, 12 Oct 2016 9:06 pm

Talking about abortion is like talking about superiority of ones religion and openly inviting trolling or heated arguments. Having said that I read recently somebody's post on FB...

If one claims that the human life should be protected from the conception there are various consequences of such claim. One is that you can not save ones life in expense of another life so if the mother's life is endangered even a very immature, underdeveloped or defective fetus can not be sacrificed to save her (if this is the only option). Now, imagine you drive a car and all the sadden there is somebody in front of it and you have that choice to crash against a tree (killing maybe yourself and your passengers) or run over this person. You will not be penalised for the decision you are going to make, so why you should be in case of an abortion? It's a personal choice with the consequences staying with you for the rest of your life.

Of course the assumptions are that no reasonable person want abortion and this is something serious to do and not a good thing for sure.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Looking for perspective on Abortion and the USA and rest of the world.

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 12 Oct 2016 9:11 pm

PNGMK wrote: In Singapore, there are IMO too many abortions which I think is a function of a lack of BC and sex education along with a 'push button solution' mentality but generally most people seem to view it as a sad thing but a personal decision.
Inside info says a fair number of abortion is requested by married couples who can't afford the child. You can infer whatever that's supposed to mean.

Touchy subjects even for doctors here who are allowed to object.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 12 Oct 2016 9:42 pm

The Republican party is split by its evangelical component. Not only are they anti-abortion, they are against gay rights, gay marriage, and even birth control. It's not that these folks are pro life... once a child is born, there shall be no healthcare, no welfare, no special needs support.

And yes, it's still important to a lot of Republicans to get out the evangelical vote... while not the majority, without them election to office becomes difficult.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 12 Oct 2016 10:28 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:The Republican party is split by its evangelical component. Not only are they anti-abortion, they are against gay rights, gay marriage, and even birth control. It's not that these folks are pro life... once a child is born, there shall be no healthcare, no welfare, no special needs support.

And yes, it's still important to a lot of Republicans to get out the evangelical vote... while not the majority, without them election to office becomes difficult.
Ok I'm stealing those first two sentences. Perfect. Thank you and good night!
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

onlinegenericpill

Post by onlinegenericpill » Wed, 13 Dec 2017 1:57 pm

Most of the women, around 92 % of women abort the pregnancy in USA in non surgical method.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Wed, 20 Dec 2017 10:11 pm

PNGMK wrote:As an Aussie I have long been accustomed to the view that abortion is a personal choice (and in my view wrong but the sin is on the people involved; not the country or myself)."
For me, your argument already stopped at sentence #1.

"....the sin is on the people involved...." Who are you to decide after already declaring its a personal choice, and at that point any political bias or observation is negated. The issue itself is not a political one whether it be Republican, DAP, PAP, LDP or any other bloody letter combination you want to put together.

Nobody, absolutely nobody, has any superiority or comment on anybody else's lifestyle or choices, no matter what they involve. I don't care the cause or religious belief behind, nobody or anybody can push beliefs or insult onto others. What you did form sentence #1 was insult absolutely everybody that doesn't agree with your perception of perfection. You, or anybody else, has no right to call the choice made by others an out-and-out sin only because you don't believe! Just saying you think it's a "personal choice" is negated by every word that followed.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

yesitsme

Post by yesitsme » Mon, 15 Jan 2018 2:27 pm

I am not sure of what is right or not. But one thing I am sure of. Whatever might be the reason for abortion (health-related, financial, other social issues), the mother-and-only-the mother involved should be vested with the full rights to such a decision (not husband ..not certainly family)..

All moral and religious dilemmas dwarf in comparison to the life time consequences that the mother has to face irrespective of the decision; either abortion or carrying that pregnancy..so she is the only judge..