Singapore Expats

Recent Arrival Saying Hi!

New here? Don't be shy. Introduce yourself here and expand your social network!
x9200

Re: Recent Arrival Saying Hi!

Post by x9200 » Wed, 06 Sep 2017 9:19 am

ecureilx wrote:
Tigerlily_Orchid wrote: Is that the biggest group? We're not Americans so I'm not limiting myself to one race. I've submitted application to the Singapore Expat Wives group on Facebook then I'll check out the other groups.
Don't get me wrong.

I suggested the American club as your first stop as it will be easiest of the lot to feel home. And unlike some groups where newer members join with some agenda, nobody's gonna question your intentions to join.
Did I confuse it with something else or this is the club with a 25k or so for the membership?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 06 Sep 2017 9:37 am

x9200 wrote:Did I confuse it with something else or this is the club with a 25k or so for the membership?
ouch,

says somewhere you can pay by installment :D

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 06 Sep 2017 10:56 am

ecureilx wrote:
x9200 wrote:Did I confuse it with something else or this is the club with a 25k or so for the membership?
ouch,

I guess there are many people who think it's worth the money or this amount is negligible to their budget but sure and definitely I am not one of them.

Besides, somehow I have this feeling (just a feeling, not really justified) this kind of places with such high entrance fees must be very attractive to one specific group of this society, that for my own use I tend to name The Real Singapore Expat Wives.

Tigerlily_Orchid

Post by Tigerlily_Orchid » Wed, 06 Sep 2017 11:09 am

ecureilx wrote:
ouch,

Ehm....$20K for membership? I'll pass, thanks. :shock:

Tigerlily_Orchid

Post by Tigerlily_Orchid » Wed, 06 Sep 2017 11:11 am

[/quote]
I guess there are many people who think it's worth the money or this amount is negligible to their budget but sure and definitely I am not one of them.

Besides, somehow I have this feeling (just a feeling, not really justified) this kind of places with such high entrance fees must be very attractive to one specific group of this society, that for my own use I tend to name The Real Singapore Expat Wives.[/quote]

Now I'm intrigued. Does the RSEW have a certain reputation? I saw online that they were the biggest group of expat wives which was why I wanted to join their FB group.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 06 Sep 2017 12:21 pm

I think you should not worry about it too much. I am not sure what the FB group consists of, but there is rather large group of ladies typically driving some big SUVs in rather distinctive manner, not able to anything without their maid(s) and dragging them everywhere, with plenty of time, meeting daily for breakfast / lunch in Shangrila etc etc ...

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 06 Sep 2017 1:09 pm

x9200 wrote:I think you should not worry about it too much. I am not sure what the FB group consists of, but there is rather large group of ladies typically driving some big SUVs in rather distinctive manner, not able to anything without their maid(s) and dragging them everywhere, with plenty of time, meeting daily for breakfast / lunch in Shangrila etc etc ...
High Tea in Shang or Hilton or Hyatt or Marriot !! Not other places ;)

That's the group that is well followed on Tattler (one of my ex-employer is in that exclusive invite group, but she is not pretentious .. more down to earth !! )

OP, try also try to look for the SG Mummies group !

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 06 Sep 2017 1:59 pm

ecureilx wrote:
x9200 wrote:I think you should not worry about it too much. I am not sure what the FB group consists of, but there is rather large group of ladies typically driving some big SUVs in rather distinctive manner, not able to anything without their maid(s) and dragging them everywhere, with plenty of time, meeting daily for breakfast / lunch in Shangrila etc etc ...

That's the group that is well followed on Tattler (one of my ex-employer is in that exclusive invite group, but she is not pretentious .. more down to earth !! )
Pretentious is probably the right word but for a down to earth person it should be a challenge to attend. For me, the encounters on the roads and Cold Storage are already enough. Oh, well.

Tigerlily_Orchid

Post by Tigerlily_Orchid » Thu, 07 Sep 2017 10:05 am

ecureilx wrote:

OP, try also try to look for the SG Mummies group !
Thanks for the info but I don't have kids so my interests probably wouldn't align with the Mummies group. =)

EdwardHend

Post by EdwardHend » Thu, 11 Jan 2018 5:33 pm

Tigerlily_Orchid wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
ouch,

Ehm....$20K for membership? I'll pass, thanks. :shock:
I'm starting to be interested already but.... $20k membership? I'd rather pass too.