Singapore Expats

Advise on getting treatment for depression

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
KittyJules76

Post by KittyJules76 » Wed, 30 Jun 2010 11:20 am

I think stress release is different from individual. For me, definately not meditation. This is me trying to do meditation (hmm...ok here goes, trying to clear my mind, relax first, Ok let's try sitting in this position, shoulder drop ok eerr..relax....after 10 seconds later... am i relaxing? hmm..may be this is not a good sitting position, may be I should lie down and it went on and on and on ...)

Then one of my doctor suggested me to count numbers backwards. (Alright ok may be I should start from 100.
Right 100, 99, 98, 97, 96, 95, 93, 92 eerrr...s*&t I skip a number ok have to start again. 100, 99, 98, 97 .......and I end up the whole night not sleeping counting numbers until I reach -3216 I fell asleep then woke up within half an hour coz my alarm went off for work)

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Wed, 30 Jun 2010 7:32 pm

KittyJules76 wrote:I think stress release is different from individual. For me, definately not meditation. This is me trying to do meditation (hmm...ok here goes, trying to clear my mind, relax first, Ok let's try sitting in this position, shoulder drop ok eerr..relax....after 10 seconds later... am i relaxing? hmm..may be this is not a good sitting position, may be I should lie down and it went on and on and on ...)

Then one of my doctor suggested me to count numbers backwards. (Alright ok may be I should start from 100.
Right 100, 99, 98, 97, 96, 95, 93, 92 eerrr...s*&t I skip a number ok have to start again. 100, 99, 98, 97 .......and I end up the whole night not sleeping counting numbers until I reach -3216 I fell asleep then woke up within half an hour coz my alarm went off for work)
Meditation isn't something you can just "do". You need to learn it. What you have described here has little resemblance to meditation. If you want to learn more about it, perhaps you could check out Jon Kabat-Zinn's approach. His is just one of many many techniques out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nwwKbM_vJc

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Advise on getting treatment for depression

Post by poodlek » Wed, 30 Jun 2010 7:36 pm

nakatago wrote: Not necessarily yoga. There are studies (they're out there) that say exercise releases endorphins, which are the body's anti-depressants. You like yoga (which suspiciously looks like you're...), some may like running. Or horizontal dancing.
I like yoga particularly because it combines mindfulness and bodily awareness with the exercise that releases the ever-important endorphins. Some may get the mindfulness from other forms of activity too, but yoga (taught properly) is particularly geared towards gaining a better understanding and acceptance of one's self.

ana.vargas

Re: Advise on getting treatment for depression

Post by ana.vargas » Tue, 09 Jan 2018 1:42 pm

My sister has been battling depression, and she really doesn't share that much. It's pretty hard to understand her situation as there has been a lot of opinion on what she should have or should not have done. What I do instead is to put myself in her position, and even though I have not had the chance to be a mother, I've been doing great leaps in her improvement.

My point is, the people around you could try to understand you in all aspects. Not coddle you, but still, make sure to take care of you when you stray.

May I suggest a link that you can reference your situation: https://aidinrecovery.com/drug-addictio ... epression/