Singapore Expats

Citizenship by Naturalisation

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
CashewNut

Citizenship by Naturalisation

Post by CashewNut » Sun, 07 Jan 2018 5:32 pm

So section 127 of the Constitution states as follows :

Citizenship by naturalisation
127.—(1) Subject to clause (4), the Government may, upon application made by any person of or over the age of 21 years who is not a citizen of Singapore, grant a certificate of naturalisation to that person if the Government is satisfied —
(a) that he has resided in Singapore for the required periods and intends, if the certificate is granted, to do so permanently;
(b) that he is of good character; and
(c) that he has an adequate knowledge of the national language.
(2) The periods of residence in Singapore or the relevant part of it which are required for the grant of a certificate of naturalisation are periods which amount in the aggregate to not less than 10 years in the 12 years immediately preceding the date of the application for the certificate and which include the 12 months immediately preceding that date.
(3) A person to whom a certificate of naturalisation is granted shall be a citizen of Singapore by naturalisation from the date on which the certificate is granted.
(4) No certificate of naturalisation shall be granted to any person until he has taken the Oath of Renunciation, Allegiance and Loyalty in the form set out in the Second Schedule.

This seems to allow foreigners the ability to apply for citizenship so long as they've been in Singapore for 10 out of the last 12 years including in the 12 months preceding the application.

No mention is made of needing to be a PR. So, could one apply for citizenship if they had been on an EP for the past 10 years?

I guess that the government has final say on these matters and if they set the rule that you have to be a PR to apply them you have to be a PR.

But I guess the question is more legal....could you at least "apply" for citizenship if you'd simply lived here long enough?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Citizenship by Naturalisation

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 07 Jan 2018 7:25 pm

I've always been of the opinion that you could directly apply for SC without being a PR. Most people use PR to establish residency....
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!