Singapore Expats

Bare boat rental in Singapore?

Discuss travel and holidays tips and advice here.
sgboat

Bare boat rental in Singapore?

Post by sgboat » Tue, 14 Nov 2017 6:04 pm

Anyone has any idea whether we can rent bare boats in Singapore?
I can find many yacht chartering service but cannot find any bare boats for rental.
I have PPCDL.
Thanks.

justnile

Re: Bare boat rental in Singapore?

Post by justnile » Mon, 18 Dec 2017 4:44 pm

You can get from any of the marinas. They will maintain a register of boats for lease. Not sure how bare you want your charter to be. Usually it comes with diesel and you just pay for the fuel when you return. At the end, it depends on how comfortable the master is to lease to you. If I don't know you, not sure of your skills, whether you can pay for damages or if you are doing any illegal stuff, I probably won't lease to you. My advice is to hang out at the marinas, charter a few times with the master/skipper, get to know them before you try to lease it. PPCDL is no guarantee for skills and worse, if you are a foreigner, there is not much recourse if the owner loses his boat.

sgboat

Post by sgboat » Mon, 18 Dec 2017 4:47 pm

justnile wrote:You can get from any of the marinas. They will maintain a register of boats for lease. Not sure how bare you want your charter to be. Usually it comes with diesel and you just pay for the fuel when you return. At the end, it depends on how comfortable the master is to lease to you. If I don't know you, not sure of your skills, whether you can pay for damages or if you are doing any illegal stuff, I probably won't lease to you. My advice is to hang out at the marinas, charter a few times with the master/skipper, get to know them before you try to lease it. PPCDL is no guarantee for skills and worse, if you are a foreigner, there is not much recourse if the owner loses his boat.
Thanks for the kind advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justnile

Post by justnile » Mon, 18 Dec 2017 4:50 pm

Also, the Singapore Straits and surrounding waters is no joke at night. I strongly suggest you get familiar with the night time navigation here with someone experienced. A small boat will just get run over by the merchant ships when you are transiting out to the South China Sea. You fish in Indon waters and you may get arrested by their customs, and if you go too close to pirate infested areas, you get robbed and worst killed.

sgboat

Post by sgboat » Mon, 18 Dec 2017 5:55 pm

justnile wrote:Also, the Singapore Straits and surrounding waters is no joke at night. I strongly suggest you get familiar with the night time navigation here with someone experienced. A small boat will just get run over by the merchant ships when you are transiting out to the South China Sea. You fish in Indon waters and you may get arrested by their customs, and if you go too close to pirate infested areas, you get robbed and worst killed.
Noted with thanks!