Singapore Expats

Handing back apartment to landlord

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
SuzIrl

Handing back apartment to landlord

Post by SuzIrl » Mon, 11 Sep 2017 3:35 pm

Can anyone tell me from experience if the agent is required to attend when handing back the apartment?
The agent I used last year keeps contacting me to arrange handing back the keys & I'm trying to understand what their role is if any at this stage.
The landlord is not using them for the next tenant nor am I using them for my new place. Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Search By

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Handing back apartment to landlord

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 11 Sep 2017 4:47 pm

SuzIrl wrote:Can anyone tell me from experience if the agent is required to attend when handing back the apartment?
The agent I used last year keeps contacting me to arrange handing back the keys & I'm trying to understand what their role is if any at this stage.
The landlord is not using them for the next tenant nor am I using them for my new place. Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
As long as Agent don't ask money :D you can get them present.

They need to build rapport with the LL right ?

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Mon, 11 Sep 2017 7:09 pm

if you know agent has been authorized by LL to sign off on the inspection, please make sure you get the agent there so you can get a document that will help you get your (hopefully entire) deposit back.

if there is no form nor authorization, use the agent to sign something that may be beneficial to you if things go sour. especially if this was the same agent that showed and let the premises to you.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 11 Sep 2017 10:06 pm

The agent is not required but it is useful to have h/im/er as a witness. If he is your agent this may be considered as his duty to document everything what should be documented to protect you later against some made up claims of the LL.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 12 Sep 2017 12:50 pm

without a signed document... the agent will be a useless witness because there's money to be made siding with the LL.

you. need. proof.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 12 Sep 2017 1:39 pm

The agent would not be the witness to testify on the condition of the apartment but to testify on the hand-over itself, time/date the hand-over took place, the keys being handed over etc., so basic things only. The tenant should still do his job and document the unit condition taking tons of photos, some with the agent in them.

Long disappeared JR8 has mentioned the local court refused photos alone as the evidence as they were (according to the court) not good enough to prove when the photos where taken.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 12 Sep 2017 8:23 pm

IMO, the photos by themselves are useless - with or without an agent in them.

if the photos cannot be proof, then surely any damage that occurs during the vacancy period cannot be pinned onto the tenant?

(i do not imply that photos should not be taken, but it's not technically possible to video or photograph the house in its entirety within a reasonable amount of time even without the agent or that day's paper being in frame)

as such, i believe it's more important to get the right document and the agent together, and to get the agent to sign it before handing over the keys - especially if authorized.

the photos of defects should have been taken during the move in period, not after, and a copy repeatedly sent by email to the landlord/LL's agent until you get a reply that it's been received.

anything not photographed and then pointed out (and not disputed) during handover is the tenant's problem.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 12 Sep 2017 8:46 pm

it's not difficult to do it by hand either, and allow the agent to take a photo with his smart phone when done. keep the original. (you can add a meter reading in if you haven't already gotten SP to come take a reading)

it doesn't have to be unnecessarily detailed. 1 sheet of A4 paper and a pen.

==========

HANDOVER FORM 31/12/2017

16 EXPAT ROAD #01-01 S123456

Items:

1. entrance keys x 4

2. internal bedroom keys x 8

3. lousy mattress

Condition:

[ ] within fair wear and tear, defects previously discussed included.

[X] not within fair wear and tear, described with reason here:

1. giant poo stain on in balcony. previous occupants did not own a pet elephant.

2. drawing of cheeky monkey on living room wall.

accepted by:

{SIGN}

agent/LL name, id #

page 1 of 1
=============

the goal is to get the first box checked and secure the signature. don't write anything down under the second box even if the agent points it out.

because you should be able to explain it away. if you cannot resolve it, it's best to not handover the place until you have rectified it.

agents do not appreciate having to make multiple trips. LLs want to rent it out again ASAP. agents may also not prepare a handover form unless they absolutely have to.

the same goal applies to their forms. tell them to point out the defect to you, so you can cross reference with your photos/emails. DO NOT LET THEM WRITE IT DOWN.

do not give them a chance (if your circumstance allows) to make deductions from your deposit.

many slimebag LLs will work with the contractor(s) to take more than is really necessary.

some things cannot be explained away - such as cracks on the walls as a result of nearby construction work.

as a tenant, you need to be on your toes and know what's going on. leaving it to the last month before informing the LL is not reasonable nor the smart thing to do.

inspect the place by yourself earlier. get your own contractors in and sort it out. this way, you have some say over the works/costs involved.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 12 Sep 2017 9:04 pm

I normally take between 100-400 photos during any hand-over. I believe I am able to cover everything. I do it even for the interiors of the cabinets. Takes all about 20 min. I just go room by room and systematically cover the area, floors, walls, ceilings, open doors... No agent and no LL has ever had any problem with this,

A document has limited capacity (it contains a list) and may contain a statement that the LL founds the apartment ok. Stilt later, it can be claimed that some defects were made hidden to mislead the LL or just not noticed. IMHO only what is included to the list is pretty much solid. I am not saying there is something wrong with it, but for me it is supplementary.

With the photos, if the quality is sufficient, such evidence should be difficult to object.

unbelievable1981
Answers: 1

Post by unbelievable1981 » Mon, 11 Dec 2017 8:45 pm

How would you guys deal with a LL and Agent that during the handover says "we will get back to you in a couple of days while we do a further inspection?"

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 13 Dec 2017 6:16 pm

unbelievable1981 wrote:How would you guys deal with a LL and Agent that during the handover says "we will get back to you in a couple of days while we do a further inspection?"
Say no, only in your presence, otherwise you will consider it as handed over with no defects

Again, depends if the LL and Agent are good or looking to make some extra $$$