Singapore Expats

Customs clearing agent - Advice required

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ellatyne

Customs clearing agent - Advice required

Post by ellatyne » Wed, 29 Nov 2017 2:28 pm

Hi guys,

I need some urgent advice. I have purchased something for delivery to Singapore and just found out I need to sort out a customs clearing agent in order to collect it from the airport. It is time sensitive as the package is due to arrive on Friday morning!

The item is values at around $150 SGD so shouldn't require an import permit. My research hadn't found any info about a customs clearing agent being necessary.

Could anyone offer me any advice on what actually needs to be done, and if I do need a clearance agent an advice on likely price and a recommendation if anyone has one?

Thanks so much in advance,

Ella

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Customs clearing agent - Advice required

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 29 Nov 2017 9:45 pm

How was it sent? Singpost and the various well known delivery services normally provide clearance as part of the delivery services.

ellatyne

Post by ellatyne » Thu, 30 Nov 2017 10:36 am

It was purchased directly from the supplier, so I have to arrange the collection myself. However from my research online it wasn't previously clear that I would need a customs clearing agent.

The product is for personal consumption and under the taxable value.

I guess I am hoping someone can tell me exactly my options here as I am totally out of my depth here. Some clearance agents are wanting very high fees to get the item from Changi for me, as much as I actually paid for the product and the airfare for it to get here. I guess this is because they normally do this for companies importing big volumes.

But what to do in the case of an individual for a small order. Am I stuck just paying out that huge amount?

Thanks for your help so far.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 30 Nov 2017 10:47 am

So... you shipped air freight, FOB?

ellatyne

Post by ellatyne » Thu, 30 Nov 2017 10:57 am

Yes. I very much wish I hadn't now, but it is too late, so I just need to work out the best way out of this, in the least costly/stressful way possible.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 30 Nov 2017 10:24 pm

Were it I, I would determine which airline is bringing in the goods. I would call them up and ask where their freight facilities are at Changi (I think you need to go up Changi Coast Road to the air freight terminals). I would tell them that I have a package coming in and ask them for instructions as to how to retrieve.

I am sure that Singapore customs is pretty fully integrated into air freight operations for all the airlines. You probably don't need a freight forwarder... you do need to do a bit of research as to whom you need to see and what forms you will need to fill out.

Chances are good that your package is sitting on a shelf, just waiting for paperwork to be filled out.

http://www.changiairport.com/content/ca ... cture.html

ellatyne

Post by ellatyne » Fri, 01 Dec 2017 10:50 am

Thank you very much for your advice. Helpful as ever! :)