Singapore Expats

Arrested in Singapore for swearing at police officers

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Arrested in Singapore for swearing at police officers

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 16 Nov 2017 7:26 pm

JayGmoney wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yeah, it's a jail-able offence, but apparently they don't really think you are a flight risk and as long as you didn't pull a dumb on like my kid did, you will probably only have a fine, but, again, they may also slap it to you to make an example. With the courts here, you can never quite tell as the punishments don't always fit the crime. Sometimes they are light and sometimes they seems a bit over the top. Just don't antagonize anybody. It's yes ma'am, yes sir, yes your honour. ALL THE WAY.
I am hoping my good behavior and politeness in the police station counts for something too!
Thanks for making legal arrangements. Listen to her advice. I don't consider $1000 a light bail because they've also seized your passport.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 17 Nov 2017 9:12 am

My son is a Singapore citizen, if you have bail, regardless of the amount or nationality they will automatically seize your passport. They did his as well and we didn't have to post the bail per se, but did have to secure it with a surety guarantee (his bail was set at $5K).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 17 Nov 2017 5:59 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:My son is a Singapore citizen, if you have bail, regardless of the amount or nationality they will automatically seize your passport. They did his as well and we didn't have to post the bail per se, but did have to secure it with a surety guarantee (his bail was set at $5K).
Huh. Ok - well my SC son was also arrested as a minor but I don't remember having to hand his passport over. I do remember a surety. I was mighty pissed that his mother (who caused the whole thing) wasn't requested to post it but the blary SPR father (me) was...

duluoz1

Post by duluoz1 » Sat, 25 Nov 2017 5:00 pm

PNGMK wrote: Time to give up the booze mate. I gave it up when I was told it will definitely give me stomach cancer if I keep drinking and I've got a lot of other friends who've also stopped drinking. All my stupid mistakes have been when I was drunk. I would like to see bars and such forced to stop serving intoxicate patrons myself (although this is enough of a nanny state as it is).
Interesting to hear this. I've noticed recently that I find it increasingly hard to just have one or two beers, it's turning into more like 4 or 5, plus spirits, and although I'm not a violent drunk I do tend to make bad decisions. I'm sure you can imagine. Hangovers are also getting way way worse. Maybe time for me to look at giving it up.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 27 Nov 2017 8:04 am

duluoz1 wrote:
PNGMK wrote: Time to give up the booze mate. I gave it up when I was told it will definitely give me stomach cancer if I keep drinking and I've got a lot of other friends who've also stopped drinking. All my stupid mistakes have been when I was drunk. I would like to see bars and such forced to stop serving intoxicate patrons myself (although this is enough of a nanny state as it is).
Interesting to hear this. I've noticed recently that I find it increasingly hard to just have one or two beers, it's turning into more like 4 or 5, plus spirits, and although I'm not a violent drunk I do tend to make bad decisions. I'm sure you can imagine. Hangovers are also getting way way worse. Maybe time for me to look at giving it up.
Look at your family history perhaps. I have a family history of teetotalers (baptists) on one side and East Europeans who had to stop drinking anything apart from an afternoon beer (because of violence) on the other side so I assume I'm a potential alky. I stopped drinking whole sale at 52. I haven't stopped completely but I feel I am in more control and I am far less worried about my stomach issue coming back. I feel free. I am now trying to remember the last drink I had - it was a pint at the Eurasian club two weeks ago. Prior to that it would have been weeks. I find that if I don't hang around people who drink it helps a lot in controlling the desire.

casey5047

Post by casey5047 » Mon, 27 Nov 2017 1:38 pm

JayGmoney wrote:Hi all. I’m new to this forum and need some advice form anyone who knows the answer.

Last night I was arrested for swearing at a police officer. I was a little drunk at the time so was not aware of my actions. To make things worse, I was told in my interview the following morning that I spat at the police office too! I must have been very drunk to to that!

They’ve released me out on a personal bail.

I am British, on a tourist visa but was born in Singapore and am trying to set up a company here. I’ve been coming to Singapore a lot in the last 7 years to visit relatives and friends I’ve made here. I now have a Girlfriend who im planning to marry.

This similar incident happened to me last year where I was arrested for the same thing, but minus the spitting at the officer.

Last time, they let me off with a verbal warning and no record.

I’m currently on bail and they’re holding my passport.

My question is this:

- does the part where I spat at the officer make this worse?

- after a repeated offence but with no record, will they know about that last incident thus making this one worse?

- will I be banned from coming back to Singapore and what can be the charge?

- if I get any charges, will they ask me to leave the country?

Thanks guys looking forward to your feedback.

Jay
Reading this, you seem to have a problem with taking responsibility for your own actions. Look at the way you smuggle in the point that you spat at the police officer as though it's an after-thought, after making it seem like you were 'only' in trouble for swearing. Or the whoops-a-daisy tone of 'I must have been very drunk to to that!'
JayGmoney wrote:I am also hoping that the IO who interviewed me saw that i am a genuine bloke with no criminal intent..
What's a 'genuine' bloke exactly? You mean you're not a sex robot? And how is it possible to swear and spit at a police officer and not have criminal intent?

You'll probably get off with a warning because, judging by your entitled tone, you're a wealthy white guy. Personally I hope they lock you in a barrel and fire you into the Indian Ocean.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 27 Nov 2017 2:19 pm

JayGmoney wrote:I am also hoping that the IO who interviewed me saw that i am a genuine bloke with no criminal intent..
What's a 'genuine' bloke exactly? You mean you're not a sex robot? And how is it possible to swear and spit at a police officer and not have criminal intent?

You'll probably get off with a warning because, judging by your entitled tone, you're a wealthy white guy. Personally I hope they lock you in a barrel and fire you into the Indian Ocean.[/quote]

Don't worry Casey - I was talking to my quotations engineer who is ex SPF. He voiced the opinion that Jay has most likely run out of get out of jail cards on this one as (in his words) - "The best chance for avoiding jail you have is to avoid being arrested by being too much bother for the arresting officer to write you up (i.e. plead off with the AO). If you piss the arresting officer enough (by spitting at him) that he cares enough to write you up then the IO will almost certainly support the AO and then you're at the mercy of the AGC. If the AGC pass the case down for prosecution it's very rare that you'll get off without a some clear technical error or missed evidence".

JayGmoney

Post by JayGmoney » Mon, 27 Nov 2017 6:28 pm

PNGMK wrote:

You'll probably get off with a warning because, judging by your entitled tone, you're a wealthy white guy. Personally I hope they lock you in a barrel and fire you into the Indian Ocean.

Don't worry Casey - I was talking to my quotations engineer who is ex SPF. He voiced the opinion that Jay has most likely run out of get out of jail cards on this one as (in his words) - "The best chance for avoiding jail you have is to avoid being arrested by being too much bother for the arresting officer to write you up (i.e. plead off with the AO). If you piss the arresting officer enough (by spitting at him) that he cares enough to write you up then the IO will almost certainly support the AO and then you're at the mercy of the AGC. If the AGC pass the case down for prosecution it's very rare that you'll get off without a some clear technical error or missed evidence".[/quote]

HI sorry for not being so active.

Here is an update - I reported for Bail today and was told to come back again in 2 weeks time.

I then went and visited the IO to provide her with a letter that explains more about the situation which I forgot to mention in the interview (as I was still drunk and tired at that point!)

She asked me when I am due to go back to the UK, I said December 23rd and she said unfortunately this investigation will last more than 90 days! Therefore I won't be able to go back for christmas.

In regards to the spitting, If i remember correctly, I think the way she described it was "You then spat and it went on the officers shirt" - Therefore maybe not seeming intentional.

I actually remember NOTHING, I was black out drunk and only remember waking up in the police station the following morning.

I did mention in my letter that I used to suffer from Tourettes Syndrome as a child and it does tend to come out when I am drunk. Because i don't even remember the swearing part. Everything I mentioned in my original post here was what was told to me by the IO.

Now I know many of you would say that I am talking shit, but if this will help explain the swearing, then it makes sense to me.

I just HOPE that i just get a fine or a warning as this was really me being drunk.

The crazy part is that I was on my own and went to drink just to make myself sleepy so i'd be able to sleep after traveling. I had no idea this would happen!

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 27 Nov 2017 7:09 pm

Good luck. I hope in some way it works out for the better. Showing genuine remorse and contriteness is absolutely the way to go here.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 27 Nov 2017 7:13 pm

Feel sorry for you. I have been drunk a few times like that during my office parties, even in Singapore, when I don't remember the next day how I reached home. Black out exactly the way you described it. Last time it was so bad that I locked myself in the toilet and puked everywhere. After that my wife doesn't allow me to drink. So I have stopped going to office parties now and hardly ever drink and when I do, it is not more than 2 pints.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 30 Nov 2017 12:41 pm

https://sg.yahoo.com/news/woman-jailed- ... 55023.html

You will need the wind to be in your favour I think.

Japanese woman just got 36 weeks for assaulting a Police Officer.
A woman who attacked two police officers on separate occasions, both while drunk, has been jailed 36 weeks.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 30 Nov 2017 3:00 pm

Barnsley wrote:https://sg.yahoo.com/news/woman-jailed- ... 55023.html

You will need the wind to be in your favour I think.

Japanese woman just got 36 weeks for assaulting a Police Officer.
A woman who attacked two police officers on separate occasions, both while drunk, has been jailed 36 weeks.
Yes the ST has been printing what are essentially warnings about assaulting officers.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 02 Dec 2017 9:26 am

OP picked a bad, bad time to assault an SPF officer it seems. From today's ST.

Offenders who assault police officers may face jail terms of up to seven years and caning in serious cases, as the High Court unveiled a new sentencing framework that seeks to stiffen penalties in the wake of a spate of cop abuse cases.

There have been 688 cases of physical hurt against police officers in three years, and the court said the new framework is meant to reflect public outrage against such abuse as well as protect police officers.

The court issued a three-category framework in decision grounds on Wednesday, explaining why it increased by 10 times the one-week jail term of a drunk who slapped a police officer in April last year.

I wonder if the AGC or IO has sat on his case while waiting for these new sentencing guidelines?

Spitting IS assault (at least spitting intentionally; it's specifically also a crime to spit in Singapore - a hangover from the days of TB infections - that's why you see people carefully lobbing their loogies into drains or sinks).

Edit: forgot to add the end of the article (I hope you did not actually touch the officers OP?):

Wednesday's case concerned Jeffrey Yeo, 26, who had been jailed in Aprilby a district court after pleading guilty to slapping and hurling vulgarities at a police sergeant last year. The prosecution team, led by Deputy Attorney-General Hri Kumar Nair, sought to raise the one-week jail term on appeal, but Yeo's lawyer Henry Lim Ghim Siew argued thatthe sentence had to be "calibrated" based on the specific circumstances of the case.

The court acknowledged Yeo's genuine remorse and other mitigating factors, but held that one week's jail was "out of tandem" with sentencing trends, and raised the jail term to 10 weeks.

felixm112

Post by felixm112 » Fri, 13 Jul 2018 10:21 am

Hi JayGmoney,

I’m so sorry to hear about your predicament. I myself have only recently been released from an 18 month sentence in Changi Prison (I served 13 months) for almost exactly the same charge (although I didn’t spit at the officers, which is certainly classed as assault on a police officer). Have you looked at all of your available options? I have heard of individuals who were facing similar lengthy sentences and managed to cross the border into Malaysia, I hear the guards on the border will turn a blind eye for the right price.

After everything that's happened, I've now returned to my native Germany and despite the affection i feel towards Singapore and it’s people, the mental and physical scars of my time in Changi prison serve as a constant reminder that I am better off living in the EU. My time served in Changi was without doubt the worst experience of my life and I pray that you don’t go through the same ordeal that I did.

I really hope that everything works out for you.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Tue, 17 Jul 2018 10:53 am

the OP sounds like a windup to me

if not he should have been arrested for stupidity
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.