Singapore Expats

PR for foreigner husband + Buying a property as a SC + foreigner married couple

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
kimls

PR for foreigner husband + Buying a property as a SC + foreigner married couple

Post by kimls » Wed, 08 Nov 2017 10:38 am

Hi everyone,

My foreigner husband and I registered our marriage in Korea last month.
Am wondering if we would be issued a Singaporean cert if we re-register our marriage records with ROM? Does anyone have any experience re-registering their overseas marriage (with a foreigner) at ROM?

Could anyone also tell me if a foreign marriage cert has any implications on PR application or purchase of property in the future?

Thank you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: PR for foreigner husband + Buying a property as a SC + foreigner married couple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 08 Nov 2017 5:55 pm

You are just as married as if you married in Singapore. The only repercussion would be is if your husband had every worked in Singapore on a Work Permit. If so, you should/would have had to get permission to marry the feller. If you didn't, then it's unlikely that he would even get an LTVP let alone PR. If he had work here on an S or EP pass, no issues. If he's never worked here, shouldn't be any issues, in theory.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

kimls

Re: PR for foreigner husband + Buying a property as a SC + foreigner married couple

Post by kimls » Fri, 17 Nov 2017 8:29 am

xx

kimls

Post by kimls » Thu, 23 Nov 2017 3:16 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:You are just as married as if you married in Singapore. The only repercussion would be is if your husband had every worked in Singapore on a Work Permit. If so, you should/would have had to get permission to marry the feller. If you didn't, then it's unlikely that he would even get an LTVP let alone PR. If he had work here on an S or EP pass, no issues. If he's never worked here, shouldn't be any issues, in theory.
Hello!

Thank you for your advice.

He is currently on an S pass (permission not needed from MOM) and have been working in Singapore for 1 year. May I ask if it's better to convert his visa to a LTVP? Can't find any discussion online comparing the benefits and restrictions of LTVP and SPass.

I applied the pre-marriage LTVP for him and he got approved. Only thing is, we already registered our marriage overseas last month. Meaning the pre-marriage LTVP won't be valid anymore right? As under the law, we were already married before the approval came.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 23 Nov 2017 4:15 pm

As he's never worked on a Work Permit (WP) you shouldn't have any issues. He should stay on the S pass as that is a higher magnitude than an LTVP. Additionally, as long as he is on an S pass all his medical costs are covered. ;-) Put him on an LTVP then he has to get a Letter of Consent to work and he may get paid less, or not. But he will now only have a small subsidy for his medical costs should he need to avail himself of medical attention here.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers