Singapore Expats

HSBC Singapore Poor Service

Discuss the different banking options, rates, offers and perks.
mdunnac

HSBC Singapore Poor Service

Post by mdunnac » Sat, 09 Sep 2017 6:56 pm

Guys a word of warning based on our experience over 4 years in Singapore. Would not recommend HSBC. Apalling customer service, lost transfers on foreign overseas sending. Useless customer service. Deeply regret ever selecting them. Go for one of the local Singapore banks instead. Just wondering if anyone else wants to add their experience on HSBC from an expat angle. Hard to believe we were just unlucky given the multiple failings we experienced with them over 4 years. Now left Singapore and back in UK. HSBC were a definite NO when looking to open our UK account and now with Barclays, a breath of fresh air with a superb customer service option on their Premier banking. HSBC are in the dark ages in comparison. Hope this helps someone avoid the mistake we made in Singapore.

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Re: HSBC Singapore Poor Service

Post by BBCDoc » Sat, 09 Sep 2017 7:21 pm

Weren't they the preferred bank for Central/South American money launderers?

Obviously you don't have an army backing your transactions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Mon, 11 Sep 2017 12:55 pm

That's pretty consistent with what I have heard from friends who have banked with them. I doubt you are an isolated case.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 11 Sep 2017 1:06 pm

bgd wrote:That's pretty consistent with what I have heard from friends who have banked with them. I doubt you are an isolated case.
For an "Asian" boss of mine, the Premier service was great, with the RM having prepared all before I reached their place.

Maybe it was a matter of big bucks, like 7 or 8 figure account ?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 11 Sep 2017 1:26 pm

We used to have some CCs with them, 10y ago or something, it took us I believe only a few years to get them cancelled and it was the decision purely made based on our experience with their customer service.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 11 Sep 2017 3:24 pm

Interesting. I had the same problem with HSBC 35 years ago as well. At least they are consistent. ;-) I only lasted one year before switching to Citibank. Eventually, after a couple of years, I left Citi as well. The only thing I have now with citi is a corporate card.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 11 Sep 2017 4:47 pm

I have the citi dividend card and it's really good in terms of savings especially for someone like me who shops mostly online. For example, with Redmart you currently get: 8% cash back + $10 off every order >=$110 + 5% cash back (Redmart) if you are a liveup member. All together!

With Lazada with the said card, its currently $6 off >=$60 or 8% capped at $20; + 5% cash rebate with the same liveup membership.

WD40, can you hear me!!?
(I think you have this card already)

And I don't have so far (4 years) any serious complaints abut their services.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Mon, 11 Sep 2017 5:04 pm

ecureilx wrote:
For an "Asian" boss of mine, the Premier service was great, with the RM having prepared all before I reached their place.

Maybe it was a matter of big bucks, like 7 or 8 figure account ?
They guys I knew banked with them in the UK, the transfer was botched in every case and I think they all ended up changing banks.

When I first arrived I was warned off HSBC. I was already with Citi so just opened an account here and it's all been fine. CCs were ready on the same day - that impressed me.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Thu, 16 Nov 2017 8:14 am

I think it's a little rich to call out only HSBC from Singapore, despite me having accounts with them. All foreign banks pretty much come with scare stories and I've heard them all about Citi and StanChart as well. Our work has an OCBC account and they are just as bad as the references made at the start.

I agree service isn't great, but I've not really met any bank here that offers anything close to great. My UOB experience is pretty okay but then, I've hardly had a problem from HSBC, certainly no lost transfers etc. and when I do, I can usually make them see right.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE