Singapore Expats

Whats going on at SMRT

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Whats going on at SMRT

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 03 Nov 2017 12:54 pm

https://sg.yahoo.com/news/smrt-wide-sca ... 58295.html
Rail operator SMRT has asked its staff to own up and admit to breaches in work procedures by 3 November with an assurance that they will not be penalised, reported The Straits Times.
Seems like the management have been caught napping!!
Life is short, paddle harder!!

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Re: Whats going on at SMRT

Post by earthfriendly » Tue, 07 Nov 2017 5:29 am

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Tue, 07 Nov 2017 5:34 am

That is why we have whistleblower protection in USA. To promote governance and accountability.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whistlebl ... ted_States

Unfortunately, in Singapore, when children are taught to fear people who hold power over them, you gonna see many Desmond Kueksssss. And the lack of democratic living (respect and dignity for all, including people that you have power over).

Singapore still has ways to go before it can be a first world country. Infra structure, by itself, does not define a country.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 07 Nov 2017 12:45 pm

Government speaking now .....
Head of SMRT Building and Facilities maintenance group suspended
The group was headed by Vice-President Ng Tek Poo. SMRT has suspended him together with six other managerial staff with respect to their discharge of supervisory responsibilities.

The six include his predecessor, a Vice-President who oversaw the unit in charge of maintaining the pump systems prior to May 2017, as well as a Chief Engineer, a deputy director, and three managers.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 07 Nov 2017 4:42 pm

https://sg.yahoo.com/news/khaw-boon-wan ... 28415.html
Alluding to Desmond Kuek’s earlier statement that SMRT was grappling with “deep-seated cultural issues”, Khaw added that he looked to SMRT’s top management to set a “culture of excellence” and the right tone for the whole company.

“If there is poor work culture, the CEO is responsible. You set the corporate culture… growing the right culture is the responsibility of everyone,” said the minister.
When is SMRT CEO going to be moving on to pastures new after that quote from the Minister.

:o :o :o :o

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Wed, 08 Nov 2017 1:49 am

It is unreal. The school principal talking down to his charge (elementary school kids). Growing up in SG, I have a lot of problem with the modus operandi. Hello Amos Yee 8-) .You guys remember Chip, the American who was tasked to oversea Temasek. Did not last 3 months. Reason: difference in management style. As an aside, from the grapevine, I hear that people would show up late at his meetings, and get distracted by their cellphones.

SG needs to learn western (not meant to be a put down or touting western over eastern, for the lack of term I can come up with, I am using the term "western" loosely) style management and democratic principles. It promotes a more equitable society. I.e. if they don't let "face", ethnocentrism, nationalism or xenophobia get the better of them

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Wed, 08 Nov 2017 2:01 am

BTW, I saw this when I was looking up Chip Goodyear at Wikipedia. It is a platform worth preserving. Just wanna put the word out. No pressure eh :D . They should be able to accept international donations as major credit cards are accepted.
To all our readers in the U.S.,
We will get straight to the point: Today we ask you to help Wikipedia. To maintain our independence, we will never run ads. We depend on donations averaging about $15. Only a tiny portion of our readers give. If everyone reading this gave $3, we could keep Wikipedia thriving for years to come. The price of a coffee is all we need. When I made Wikipedia a non-profit, people warned me I’d regret it. Over a decade later, it’s the only top ten site run by a non-profit and a community of volunteers. Has it crossed my mind how much we could have made if it had ads? Sure. But it wouldn’t be the same. We wouldn’t be able to trust it. Most people ignore my messages. But I hope you’ll think about how useful it is to have unlimited access to reliable, neutral information. Please help keep Wikipedia online and growing. Thank you. — Jimmy Wales, Wikipedia Founder

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Tue, 14 Nov 2017 11:33 pm

He was the Chief of Defence. Would you want to be under his command in times of war? Good luck to SG if it ever enters a war under this kind of "leadership".

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 15 Nov 2017 10:54 am

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/t ... s-taken-to
SMRT train hits stationary train at Joo Koon MRT station; passengers taken to hospital

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 15 Nov 2017 12:05 pm

When it rains, it pours!
Who will fall on their sword?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 15 Nov 2017 12:12 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:When it rains, it pours!
Do you think anyone have the balls to take some responsibility?

It seems taking accountability is not a big thing here.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Thu, 16 Nov 2017 1:40 am

"on the surface, everything is gleaming, everything is beautiful "

https://www.facebook.com/tean.lim.75/vi ... 742914002/

And do not insult the Japanese by comparing them with this PAP crop. The Japanese work ethic, level of care and professionalism is totally different.
Tean Lim "I would like to add “ Madame President, if after this incident you still do nothing, your integrity and competence will be called into serious question.
I personally volunteer(free of charge) to be counsel to the inquiry and to cross-examine witnesses to get to the truth of the matter.
What we need now is accountability and ACTION to put right our MRT."

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Thu, 16 Nov 2017 2:15 am

Hehehe, and he pointed out Truman. One of my all time favorite American hero / president :love:

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Thu, 16 Nov 2017 2:17 am

My daughter was asking me what do I want for Christmas.

https://www.amazon.com/Iconic-President ... B01EVJHN9G

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Thu, 16 Nov 2017 8:01 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:When it rains, it pours!

Whilst guys should have resigned months ago, based solely on yesterday after just the flooding case, if they are not fired today then it sums up the situation well enough.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE