Singapore Expats

Two Honda bikes

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.
x9200

Two Honda bikes

Post by x9200 » Sat, 07 Oct 2017 12:31 pm

There is CB400X and there is NC750X (both models with ABS). The later is obviously more powerful but also slightly more fuel efficient. Guess which one is more expensive and is it really a coincident they look almost identical? If this is just a marketing strategy (surely it looks this way) then I am shocked, even knowing that showing off plays an important part in Singapore.

taxico
Director
Director

Re: Two Honda bikes

Post by taxico » Mon, 09 Oct 2017 10:42 pm

i've ridden the the 2015 (or 2014?) nc750 in a parking lot.

it felt like i needed some time to get used to it. but i loved the storage. the AT/MT mode is nice to have in singapore and one of the main reasons why i was interested in it...

i felt it should have come with dual disc front, but it didn't. great riding position.

when in doubt, rev it out! but... the 750x isn't really exciting or revvy... might be due to the button shifting capabilities? i felt it was just a quiet reliable daily ride - not something i was after.

not seen/heard of the cb400x before - but i'd imagine the 400 will be easier to flog when the time comes... i imagine it will also be lighter.

ABS - yes, please.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 10 Oct 2017 9:18 am

They're two completely different bikes to me. The CB400X was brought into help fill desperately needed hole in the 400CC class here - there was NOTHING available that was decent apart from the CB400 in line 4. The NC750 has never ever excited me.

If I needed a 400CC bike I would look closely at the CB400X (over the super 4's) as it is a Honda, popular (easy to sell), looks decent enough, light enough and probably rides ok.

The Singapore (actually global) bike market sucks with bad choices and is suffering from terrible decisions make in the last decade about what people want; partly due to the disconnect between the harley generation who are dying and the younger ones coming in who don't know what they want.

I would LOVE a new CB400SS (single cylinder classic style - a bit like the SR400 but lighter and more powerful) but there were only 10 brought into Singapore and it's long out of production.

If you're looking at 750CC bikes jump up 250CC and go look at the Africa Twin (the new one). That's a hugely popular bike here and will be easy to ride, maintain and resell.

DON'T buy a continental (Ducati, Triumph, BMW etc) as the bike market is in complete disarray and the high end dealers are in a shambles now due to the ARF changes and market crash for bikes. With the dealers in disarray there's been problems getting authorized bike services done and there's a some horror stories out there. I don't know when it will settle down and who is affected but for my Ducati it's been a problem.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 10 Oct 2017 10:05 am

Africa is nice, I agree, but it's 30% more expensive comparing to NC750X. If I had to pay that much, I would probably follow my initial plan and buy FJR1300, not a new one (can not afford with the current arf/coe), but a 2-4y old.
I consider NC750X for what Taxico mentioned: riding position and internal storage space but prefer to have it manual rather than with DCT. NC750X simply looks to me like a great everyday commuting bike for a great price (as of Singapore). It is also getting increasingly popular meaning inexpensive maintenance/parts. I am not really looking for a performance bike, just prefer to have a bit of extra power if needed.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 10 Oct 2017 10:13 am

x9200 wrote:Africa is nice, I agree, but it's 30% more expensive comparing to NC750X. If I had to pay that much, I would probably follow my initial plan and buy FJR1300, not a new one (can not afford with the current arf/coe), but a 2-4y old.
I consider NC750X for what Taxico mentioned: riding position and internal storage space but prefer to have it manual rather than with DCT. NC750X simply looks to me like a great everyday commuting bike for a great price (as of Singapore). It is also getting increasingly popular meaning inexpensive maintenance/parts. I am not really looking for a performance bike, just prefer to have a bit of extra power if needed.
If you're going that way then why not (in all seriousness) look at the bigger scooters - TMAX etc? Weather protection and easy commuting. I laughed at this idea before but have come around to it. I think the NC is assembled in Brazil or similar which is why it is cheaper than the CB400X.

Edit - having just looked at the used NC prices I can see the attraction. $16,500 for a 2016 is a pretty damn good price for any bike these days.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/motorcy ... 0x-review/

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 10 Oct 2017 10:44 am

My current ride is Piaggio X9. I like it very much and initially I considered Burgman 650 as the replacement, but I feel I would like to switch to a regular bike. Could be the middle age crisis.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 10 Oct 2017 2:20 pm

x9200 wrote:My current ride is Piaggio X9. I like it very much and initially I considered Burgman 650 as the replacement, but I feel I would like to switch to a regular bike. Could be the middle age crisis.
By the ways... the app named after a merry go round is the best place now for used bike ads (and new ones). Far better than the other two or three websites that the webmasters have stuffed up. Real time responses.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 10 Oct 2017 3:01 pm

Will COE ever fall to 1.5k again? Until then I am not interested.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 10 Oct 2017 8:06 pm

Wd40 wrote:Will COE ever fall to 1.5k again? Until then I am not interested.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
They've tweaked the COE numbers a bit (i.e. LTA stopped thieving the scrapped motorbike COE's to bump up the car cat E COE quota) but it's also the PARF that has pushed bike prices up (duty and additional have both gone up0.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Fri, 13 Oct 2017 6:59 pm

X9? other than the tmax/burger, try the srv too.

i know the practical choice is the tmax, but the aprilia was really a very fun ride.

there's none of that x9's electric centre stand goodness (i still miss it to this day) but fwoah! what an auto V twin it is - loads of grunt left even at semi-legal highway speeds in singapore.

i felt very safe on singapore roads knowing i can literally still dart out of most situations - this was on a stock srv.

i've only tried the older tmax 500, and it was pretty much tricked out (not mine) but didn't feel it had much left to tap into once it got up to speed.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

jagermeister

Post by jagermeister » Fri, 10 Nov 2017 12:48 am

Doubt COE is gna fall anytime in the near future, keep your hopes down boys
thanks wind, you totally raped my hair

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 10 Nov 2017 1:17 am

jagermeister wrote:Doubt COE is gna fall anytime in the near future, keep your hopes down boys
Which is really stupid. One of the best ways to get people out of cars is to put them on inexpensive motorcycles.

But rather than look at motorcycles as a solution, it seems the gahmen has determined that riders are second class citizens and ought to be taking public transportation. A lot of riders are on bikes because they cannot afford a car.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 10 Nov 2017 8:15 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
jagermeister wrote:Doubt COE is gna fall anytime in the near future, keep your hopes down boys
Which is really stupid. One of the best ways to get people out of cars is to put them on inexpensive motorcycles.

But rather than look at motorcycles as a solution, it seems the gahmen has determined that riders are second class citizens and ought to be taking public transportation. A lot of riders are on bikes because they cannot afford a car.
I am flummoxed by how LTA conflate cars and bikes together - on a 1:2 ratio as well.