Singapore Expats

Credentials/Qualification Issue

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Jnkrzlr1225

Credentials/Qualification Issue

Post by Jnkrzlr1225 » Thu, 02 Nov 2017 6:59 pm

Hi everyone! This is the last email my employer sent me today,

"Our HR spoke to the officer at MOM and was informed that they were unable to approve of our application due to your qualifications/credentials and there is no room for appeal."

*** I am very disappointed because the MOM did not specify what is wrong with my credentials. I applied fot the position of veterinary technician. I graduated with a bachelor's degree in Medical Technology with 2 yrs and 5 months experience. Just sharing this one. I know it won't change the decision of MOM. I just want to know if you have any idea with the reason they provided the HR. Thank you

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Credentials/Qualification Issue

Post by BBCDoc » Thu, 02 Nov 2017 8:00 pm

Where did you graduate from? Is it a recognised academic institution?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

Jnkrzlr1225

Post by Jnkrzlr1225 » Thu, 02 Nov 2017 9:10 pm

Yes a recognized college here in the Philippines. My friend whose s pass was approved a week before mine was rejected, also graduated from the same college as I did. But his degree was bachelor of science in nursing. I really dont understand why it wont be eligible for an appeal. :(

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 02 Nov 2017 11:40 pm

For the record, and for some reason, this is often overlooked. Accredited Universities in the MOM's eyes may not include the entire university (but it can be, depending on the university) Often times a university only has one or two disciplines or a few disciplines that are of a high enough calibre to be accredited in Singapore's eyes. So, while you could both have degrees from the same university, if you have different degrees, maybe his is accredited and your is not. There used to be a chart that you could read online which gave the relevant degrees for each recognized university (in the MOM's eyes).

I've not seen it in a couple of years now, but I do know it exists.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Jnkrzlr1225

Post by Jnkrzlr1225 » Fri, 03 Nov 2017 1:07 pm

I will look it up. Thank you so much. Hopefully il be able to find a new job.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 03 Nov 2017 1:38 pm

Was your PhD revoked?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Jnkrzlr1225

Post by Jnkrzlr1225 » Fri, 03 Nov 2017 6:01 pm

I asked for the specific problem regarding my credentials/qualifications but the HR said that MOM didn't specify what was the mistake about it that made it no room for appeal. :(

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 03 Nov 2017 9:20 pm

Jnkrzlr1225 wrote:I asked for the specific problem regarding my credentials/qualifications but the HR said that MOM didn't specify what was the mistake about it that made it no room for appeal. :(
According what you said earlier, it was rejected on credentials/academics. That doesn't mean a mistake was made, necessarily, but it could meant as I have already mentioned. Maybe your degree is not accredited here in Singapore. If you are found wanting on the academic/credential side of the equation, then they are correct. There is no room for appeal.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers