Singapore Expats

New Electronic PR Application System

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
CashewNut

New Electronic PR Application System

Post by CashewNut » Fri, 03 Nov 2017 9:26 am

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/ica-introduce ... 15412.html

Seems to me that this will lead to more applications. Anyone know more about this? Could there be a limit now on the number of applications one can make? I'm a PR but just curious.

If this leads to more applications then I guess either more approvals or more rejections!

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Re: New Electronic PR Application System

Post by jamie9vardy » Fri, 03 Nov 2017 10:05 am

Yeah, I was thinking of the same thing. Going electronic could mean no limit to submissions vis a vis physical application which is limited by the number of interview/appointment slots. Curious to see how this pans out.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 03 Nov 2017 11:26 am

jamie9vardy wrote:Yeah, I was thinking of the same thing. Going electronic could mean no limit to submissions vis a vis physical application which is limited by the number of interview/appointment slots. Curious to see how this pans out.
But the 100$ will curtail those just applying for the sake of applying.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 03 Nov 2017 1:03 pm

With the new fees I think we'll see a lot less of the "I applied eight times in three years" mindset. Good move.

lee85

Post by lee85 » Fri, 03 Nov 2017 1:58 pm

hmm I think for some desperate one, they will be okay with donating their money to the govt! :D

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 03 Nov 2017 2:39 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:With the new fees I think we'll see a lot less of the "I applied eight times in three years" mindset. Good move.
100 dollars won't stop applicants from applying few times. May be if it was 1000 dollars, applicants will think twice.

CashewNut

Post by CashewNut » Fri, 03 Nov 2017 3:34 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:With the new fees I think we'll see a lot less of the "I applied eight times in three years" mindset. Good move.
100 dollars won't stop applicants from applying few times. May be if it was 1000 dollars, applicants will think twice.
At the same time, I guess they don't want to deter those they do want especially in lower paying areas like nursing.

BigginHill
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by BigginHill » Fri, 03 Nov 2017 7:02 pm

Also the government can't really charge xxxx $ for something where 80% of applicants literally get nothing in return, unless you specifically call it a lottery. At most they could take it as a returnable deposit.

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Fri, 03 Nov 2017 8:06 pm

The applicants do get some incentive to apply if successful, CPF contributions and reduced stamp duty for property...sufficient to justify paying a few hundred for the chance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 03 Nov 2017 8:50 pm

BigginHill wrote:Also the government can't really charge xxxx $ for something where 80% of applicants literally get nothing in return, unless you specifically call it a lottery. At most they could take it as a returnable deposit.
Canadian and Australian PR charge a lot and nothing is guaranteed there. Compared to that Singapore PR application for 100 dollars is very affordable.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 03 Nov 2017 10:38 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
BigginHill wrote:Also the government can't really charge xxxx $ for something where 80% of applicants literally get nothing in return, unless you specifically call it a lottery. At most they could take it as a returnable deposit.
Canadian and Australian PR charge a lot and nothing is guaranteed there. Compared to that Singapore PR application for 100 dollars is very affordable.
Bullshit. Canada and Australia are open and transparent. It is a points based system and you know whether you will get it or not. In Singapore it is opaque, you will never know why you didn't get and whether you will ever get. So just keep donating $300 per year for a family of 3? Anyways I have decided not to ever apply for PR again.

I also heard another rule which is very disappointing. In the past for local schools, foreigners paid PR rate for 1st 2 years. Next year onwards, foreigners pay the full foreigner rate of $650 right from the beginning.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

BigginHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigginHill » Sat, 04 Nov 2017 12:08 am

Not to mention that PR really shouldn't be seen as something you "buy".

The policy of paying for PR outright was abondoned in 2012 when they scrapped the Financial Investor Scheme. (admission deposit: S$10m)

Incidentally, the non-refundable application fee for PR via the somewhat related Global Investor Programme scheme (with fairly clear admission criteria) is S$7,000.
In Singapore it is opaque, you will never know why you didn't get and whether you will ever get.
With no public policy formulated regarding admissions, a major direct benefit to the government is having full & real time control to define and adjust the criteria, including criteria which may appear somewhat "controversial" if stated in public.

Obviously the government relies on vast collections of databases to make quantified decisionmaking.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2014/07/29/the ... aboratory/

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 04 Nov 2017 2:09 am

BigginHill wrote:With no public policy formulated regarding admissions, a major direct benefit to the government is having full & real time control to define and adjust the criteria, including criteria which may appear somewhat "controversial" if stated in public.
Translated: With no transparency into the process, Singapore can continue its race based policies. If they really had a merit based points system, they could no longer keep their racial percentages aligned the way they are now.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Sat, 04 Nov 2017 5:37 am

Wd40 wrote:
I also heard another rule which is very disappointing. In the past for local schools, foreigners paid PR rate for 1st 2 years. Next year onwards, foreigners pay the full foreigner rate of $650 right from the beginning.
I know we all want value for our hard earn money. But if someone deem SG to be a worthwhile place to live or even to invest the rest of their lives here, isn't that a small price to pay i.e If one is able to afford it? "Small" in term of what you will get back in return if it is gonna offer you the lifestyle and residency that you seek . I.e. the long term view if one plan to settle here for a long time? One can always seek PR in a cheaper country that is not their first choice. And settle in life? It all comes down to priority. And what you really hope to get out of it.

On the other side of the equation, garment also need to balance their fiscal budget. Fiscal irreponsibility can sink an entire ship and ruin it for everyone.

BTW, I actually think that differentiating between PR and citizens is not a great move. For it can cause divisiveness. Especially if you are a PR who intend to set root and stay in SG for the long haul. You are kind of being discriminated against in the early phase of your life in SG, during PRhood. But then once again, gahment needs to balance its books.