Singapore Expats

Ecommerce business start up in SG - Licensing required

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
ellatyne

Ecommerce business start up in SG - Licensing required

Post by ellatyne » Fri, 06 Oct 2017 2:52 pm

Hello everyone,

I have been doing some research about starting a business in Singapore and was hoping for a bit of advice if you don't mind! :-)

The business I want to start will be selling a food product online. So customer would purchase and pay online and food item would be delivered, probably by courier.

I have a full understanding of how to set up a business, the need for a Singaporean or PR to be the Director and who can and cannot do what depending on employment status.

The bit that I would love some advice on, if anyone could provide is the sort of licensing required for this sort of business.

From what I read an ecommerce business doesn't need a license (considered as "class licensees"), however I did want to throw this out there to see if anyone has a different view on the matter, or whether the detail of what is being sold has an impact there, which it may well do. I have found it a little difficult to find a great level of detail on licensing for different types of ecommerce businesses so your input would be gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance for your time,

Ella

x9200

Re: Ecommerce business start up in SG - Licensing required

Post by x9200 » Fri, 06 Oct 2017 3:52 pm

A license may be required to ensure you follow specific standards for food handling, preparation, perhaps storage. If your business includes such things (especially preparation) then online or not I would expect the license is needed.

Vivpes

Post by Vivpes » Sat, 07 Oct 2017 12:02 am

Ecommerce business do not need a license as far as I believe as it's online based. However you do need to follow the local government laws and show it as a business and pay taxes off your income if any. You are applicable to pay that as you are operating it from the country even if it's online or virtually based.

ellatyne

Post by ellatyne » Sat, 07 Oct 2017 6:59 pm

Thank you both for your replies.

I also believe that is I were required to do the food production the ecommerce element would not negate my need for those licenses. At the moment I am considering the idea of selling a product that is prepared by another business in order that I do not have to consider the licensing in that area. This would certainly keep it the most simple to start.

Any other comments welcomed.

Thanks,

Ella

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 10 Oct 2017 3:14 am

Importing processed food into Singapore for sale also comes with regulations. You might want to read this website, then check the AVA

https://www.guidemesingapore.com/busine ... -singapore

https://www.ifaq.gov.sg/AVA/apps/fcd_fa ... TOPIC_5028

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sat, 28 Oct 2017 1:23 am

the responsibilities behind/around selling food is... something to be taken quite seriously.

poor food hygiene kills.

if a physical shop has to buy liability insurance to cover that, i don't see why an "online shop" or portal/intermediary could get around it except by taking unacceptable risks.

i suspect selling to your friends and relatives by word of mouth during lun ar new year (whichever sort) is different from an online presence...

in singapore, i suspect it's more hands on (NEA and HDB regulations) than off, but i'm not all dialed into this... google is your friend.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam