Singapore Expats

Overstayed, how serious?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Raerae1988

Re: Overstayed, how serious?

Post by Raerae1988 » Wed, 18 Oct 2017 4:51 pm

Just contacted him and he said singapore gave him 90 days to stay here. That means he didn’t overstay. As endorsed on his passport. However, he does worked here illegally without knowing it. He was told his work permit has been approved and company will send him the letter of approval in case he need to show to the custom. Do you guys think there will be any penalty?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 18 Oct 2017 6:05 pm

Better ask him again. Already have two different stories. How to give advice?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 18 Oct 2017 9:09 pm

Raerae1988 wrote:Just contacted him and he said singapore gave him 90 days to stay here. That means he didn’t overstay. As endorsed on his passport. However, he does worked here illegally without knowing it. He was told his work permit has been approved and company will send him the letter of approval in case he need to show to the custom. Do you guys think there will be any penalty?
Working without pass is illegal but.. Not condoning illegal activity but if ICA mom knew, he won't get his work pass

Now back to you, you can't do zilch unless he is your spouse or sibling

Ask him to get a letter from employer confirming his employment, copy of IPA and arrive

Not much I can say

Oh, did the employer put it in writing the probation thing?

Did the guy get paid during his probation / exploitation work stint?

Raerae1988

Post by Raerae1988 » Thu, 19 Oct 2017 10:55 am

Sorry for the confusion. He came in on 14 August and was given 90 days to stay here. He said he started working cos his Korean company want to sort of "test" him before he return to Korea and come back to work officially. He said he did get paid in a form of internship fee and was paid in cash. The ICA knew about this because they check his WhatsApp on his phone. They he was denied to enter Singapore even though he did not overstay. His work permit was approved after this happened. Do you think he will be blocked again? His company is still settling the security bond so haven't send the IPA yet.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 19 Oct 2017 11:29 am

Me? Personally, I wouldn't bet on it. But then I'm not a gambler. He might get lucky. He might be made a example of. Only time will tell if he tries. It's about the only way he's going to find out as we do not have access to the inner working of either ICA or MOM. Just anecdotal evidence collect via this site and a lot of our personal observations.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Raerae1988

Post by Raerae1988 » Thu, 26 Oct 2017 10:07 am

Now his approved work permit had been withdrawn back by mom. Now have to appeal and if failed, have to find lawyer to help out. :(

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 26 Oct 2017 10:12 am

Raerae1988 wrote:Now his approved work permit had been withdrawn back by mom. Now have to appeal and if failed, have to find lawyer to help out. :(
Lawyer will do what ?

Raerae1988

Post by Raerae1988 » Thu, 26 Oct 2017 10:35 am

Dunno. But I found a lawyer which will help to settle. Not sure can settle or not but I guess it needs time. Although he can’t wait to come back.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 26 Oct 2017 10:41 am

Raerae1988 wrote:Dunno. But I found a lawyer which will help to settle. Not sure can settle or not but I guess it needs time. Although he can’t wait to come back.
Since you seem to be rich to afford a lawyer, go ahead.

My 2 cents, you don't have to listen ..

It won't do much when it comes to immigration matters

option: Ask employer to appeal.

Raerae1988

Post by Raerae1988 » Thu, 26 Oct 2017 11:13 am

Haha I’m not the one who want to hire lawyer. He’s the one. So I’m not the one who is rich haha. I also dunno that lawyer can help this kind of matter too. But anyway the company is appealing for him now. If failed, then I’ll help him contact his lawyer. See how first lar.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 26 Oct 2017 3:26 pm

Raerae1988 wrote:Haha I’m not the one who want to hire lawyer. He’s the one. So I’m not the one who is rich haha. I also dunno that lawyer can help this kind of matter too. But anyway the company is appealing for him now. If failed, then I’ll help him contact his lawyer. See how first lar.
Oh, lawyer can't sue ICA, for your info !

But trust me, there are a re lot of lawyers who will be more than happy to take up this case.

Raerae1988

Post by Raerae1988 » Thu, 26 Oct 2017 7:28 pm

Not to sue ica, but to help settle the matter. Anyway I’m really not sure how the lawyer going to help him. If appeal is failed, I will ask the lawyer more in details how he going to help him. :(

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sat, 28 Oct 2017 1:38 am

Raerae1988 wrote:Sorry for the confusion. He came in on 14 August and was given 90 days to stay here. He said he started working cos his Korean company want to sort of "test" him before he return to Korea and come back to work officially. He said he did get paid in a form of internship fee and was paid in cash. The ICA knew about this because they check his WhatsApp on his phone. They he was denied to enter Singapore even though he did not overstay. His work permit was approved after this happened. Do you think he will be blocked again? His company is still settling the security bond so haven't send the IPA yet.
his korean boss is gonna screw him over sooner or later.

good luck!
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam