Singapore Expats

How to renounce British citizenship in Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
tjendra

How to renounce British citizenship in Singapore

Post by tjendra » Thu, 12 Oct 2017 12:29 pm

I am converting to Singaporean and need to renounce my British Citizenship. Do I just go to the British High Commission in Singapore to do it? How long would the process take?

Thanks!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: How to renounce British citizenship in Singapore

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 12 Oct 2017 2:22 pm

tjendra wrote:I am converting to Singaporean and need to renounce my British Citizenship. Do I just go to the British High Commission in Singapore to do it? How long would the process take?

Thanks!
There's a specific form and process as a (soon to be former) senator in Australia - the right idiot Malcom Roberts has found out. I think you actually need to liase with the home office in old blighty itself.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

MikeJones
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by MikeJones » Thu, 12 Oct 2017 11:39 pm

PNGMK is correct, you need to fill in a form and send it to the UK (assuming you're not from the Isle of Man, Channel Islands or British Overseas Territories) the following link gives you the steps to follow and a link to the form that needs completing: https://www.gov.uk/renounce-british-nationality

Mike

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 14 Oct 2017 3:55 am

AuroraUsa wrote:
tjendra wrote:I am converting to Singaporean and need to renounce my British Citizenship. Do I just go to the British High Commission in Singapore to do it? How long would the process take?

Thanks!
Go to a Singapore embassy in London and submit the renunciation of Singapore citizenship form. If you can’t find a relevant version on the link you can ask the embassy directly for the form.

Your kids will probably be eligible to renounce the Singapore citizenship on the grounds that he already possesses Danish citizenship.

If your motive in doing this is to avoid pointless conscription recalls from overseas, be sure to check with the embassy if this will result in exemption from National Service, or whether you need to fill in additional forms.

Also, do this as early as possible.

Make sure your kids are also aware of the consequences of renouncing the citizenship before you take any action. With the current sociopolitical climate, it is unlikely he can get Singapore citizenship again in future should he give it up now.
You've got it completely backwards. He wants to renounce his BRITISH citizenship.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 14 Oct 2017 10:03 am

AuroraUsa wrote:

Thanks!
Go to a Singapore embassy in London and submit the renunciation of Singapore citizenship form. If you can’t find a relevant version on the link you can ask the embassy directly for the form.

Your kids will probably be eligible to renounce the Singapore citizenship on the grounds that he already possesses Danish citizenship.

If your motive in doing this is to avoid pointless conscription recalls from overseas, be sure to check with the embassy if this will result in exemption from National Service, or whether you need to fill in additional forms.

Make sure your kids are also aware of the consequences of renouncing the citizenship before you take any action. With the current sociopolitical climate, it is unlikely he can get Singapore citizenship again in future should he give it up now.
Are you a special type of retard....?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 14 Oct 2017 3:07 pm

AuroraUsa wrote: If your motive in doing this is to avoid pointless conscription recalls from overseas, be sure to check with the embassy if this will result in exemption from National Service, or whether you need to fill in additional forms.

Where did that come from?