Singapore Expats

Ice cream maker - any recipe ideas?

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Ice cream maker - any recipe ideas?

Post by JR8 » Fri, 12 Dec 2014 10:59 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:All I eat, chocolate wise, is 70% or higher Cocoa content dark chocolate (as a result of only being allowed maximum of 50 grams of it while I was on the tail end of my diet 7 years ago). I've never really gotten in milk chocolate since. I actually like the stuff.
I'm 'dark chocolate' too. There is an interesting theory re: taste and one's taste palate.

As a starting point, people who smoke or have smoked have something of an insensitive palate, since it's taken a beating over time. Hence, to appreciate some flavours they require them to be stronger.

So such people (includes me, and my mother) tend to 'be': Dark chocolate/red wine/strong black coffee or tea. My father by contrast who never really smoked, and then aeons ago back during WW2, 'is': Milk chocolate, red or white wine equally (pref both lol!), milk coffee or tea. ... hmmm...

@ PNG
Same one I've got it seems. I look forward to comparing recipes/results! 8-)
Re: storage, as mentioned. I use a 1.6L 'Home-line' snaplock container from a dollar-shop. That sits neatly inside the bowl and they go back together into the freezer.

What I've noticed is that the air is so humid here that once you scoop some out and return it to the freezer, the humidity in the trapped air condenses on the surface of the ice-cream into almost like crunchy little crystals of ice. This increases as the level of ice cream goes down. We get around this by simply having a small piece of cling-film over the exposed ice-cream surface.

What's your first recipe going to be? 8-) :lol:
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 12 Dec 2014 11:04 am

Interesting, JR8. I used to be a heavy smoker (pipe inhaler!) but quit 10 years ago the day after tomorrow (14th). I also drink my Tea strong and black & unsweetened. Might be a lot of truth in that.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 12 Dec 2014 8:46 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Interesting, JR8. I used to be a heavy smoker (pipe inhaler!) but quit 10 years ago the day after tomorrow (14th). I also drink my Tea strong and black & unsweetened. Might be a lot of truth in that.
Hmmm. I might look into it further and see if it's a recognised phenomenon (I suspect it is). Inhaling a pipe... woah, that's hard-core :o Did you have one of those little back-country corn-cob pipes? :cool:

At the least I'm sure that the palette covers a spectrum of tolerated or favoured likes and dislikes. The Asian thing with bitter greens might be one point on that radar, though I'm not sure if that's been arrived at via 'genetics or environment': I.e. Genetic intolerance to bitterness, as with lactose intolerance, or growing up not eating bitter foods and so they're 'out of the cultural norm'.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 12 Dec 2014 9:52 pm

JR8 wrote: Inhaling a pipe... woah, that's hard-core :o Did you have one of those little back-country corn-cob pipes? :cool:
Oddly enough, no. But then again, I didn't start smoking until I was 21 and worked for H&R Block in Washington DC (I managed an executive tax office for them as well as a number of other normal offices). One tax season a regular executive tax customer brought me a belated Christmas present saying that along with the tweed jacket that I often wore with the leather elbow patches and the suede pinch cap and Triumph Spitfire that I drove at the time, it just seems to fit the style. I thanked him for it, and it sat there for months and then one day I decided to give it a try so down to the local tobacco shop I went and picked up a pouch of Captain Black (only because I liked the smell of it). So, after packing it up and lighting it up and thinking I was going to die on the spot, I let it lay there for another week. Then tried it again, and again, and soon I got so I really started to enjoy it when relaxing. I smoked it I guess for around 7 or 8 years before another pipe smoker happened to notice that I inhaled it the smoke and made mention of it. I told him I'd always inhaled it since the day I started smoking. Only then did I learn that most NEVER inhale but just roll it around in the mouth, e.g., like a good cigar (which I also tend to inhale). Anyway, I've owned dozens of pipes of all sorts, straights, curved, full bents (like the one that was initially gifted to me) and meerschams of all sorts either lined or full carved. Today I have a single pipe that has been worn through the bit twice and cut down and a new groove filed in the shortened stem and has another little hole in the underside! It's the original full bent Savinelli brier gift that I started with. Sitting here looking at it at the moment! Guess that makes it 45 years old now! But no longer tempted to stoke up the embers any longer.
37 years was enough.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 13 Dec 2014 3:11 pm

You were the proto-‘Hipster’ and I claim my $10. Did you have a pipe-rest on your bicycle handlebars? :D
Reminds me of buying my first tobacco to make ‘roll-up’ cigarettes, except I was ignorant and bought a tin of heavy pipe tobacco: That near felled me too (then it was noticed at school and was impounded, and I got caned for it - just great).
There is a time for such pleasures and habits, and also time to leave them behind. Good for you quitting when you did.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 13 Dec 2014 10:37 pm

I made the simple Vanilla Ice Cream in the Cuisinart book today... I was instantly transported back 40 years to the days when we hand cranked it in PNG.

So much better.

I threw in a handful of Hershey choc chips just as it was finishing up churning.

JR8 - I used Dairy Farm thickened cream - not Bulla. Any opinion on either?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Sun, 14 Dec 2014 7:28 am

Keep an eye out for fake creams, they look like cream, they taste like cream, even the packaging has words like single and double, but read.the small print its a cream "alternative" elmmea is one.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 14 Dec 2014 12:16 pm

PNGMK wrote:I made the simple Vanilla Ice Cream in the Cuisinart book today... I was instantly transported back 40 years to the days when we hand cranked it in PNG. So much better.
I threw in a handful of Hershey choc chips just as it was finishing up churning.

JR8 - I used Dairy Farm thickened cream - not Bulla. Any opinion on either?
Good stuff! :lol: :cool:
Bulla rings a bell (maybe I've used their products before), but we still have the remainder of the pot of 'Dairy Farmers Thickened Cream' in the fridge. Works fine for me.

@QRM. Elmlea. It's made by Unilever (oh how appetising!) and is not even a dairy product :???: :o

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 14 Dec 2014 4:44 pm

QRM wrote:Keep an eye out for fake creams, they look like cream, they taste like cream, even the packaging has words like single and double, but read.the small print its a cream "alternative" elmmea is one.

Yeah - I know the codes for "palm oil".
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 14 Dec 2014 5:03 pm

PNGMK wrote:
QRM wrote:Keep an eye out for fake creams, they look like cream, they taste like cream, even the packaging has words like single and double, but read.the small print its a cream "alternative" elmmea is one.
Yeah - I know the codes for "palm oil".
Elmlea
'Buttermilk (63%), Vegetable Oils in varying proportions (35%) (Palm, Rapeseed), Buttermilk Powder, Emulsifiers (E435, E322 (from Soya)), Lactose, Stabilisers (E412, E410), Colour (E160a)
http://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/El ... e/15720011

icecreamguide

Post by icecreamguide » Sun, 30 Jul 2017 8:28 pm

Has anyone ever tried fried ice cream?
Here's one recipe you may want to try:

Fried Cheesecake Ice Cream

Ingredients
12 ounces cream cheese room temperature, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 cup granulated sugar
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup mascarpone room temperature
1 cup whole milk room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
¼ cup sour cream room temperature

Instructions
Put the cream cheese into the bowl of a stand mixer that has been fitted with the mixing paddle. Mix it on medium speed until it gets smooth. While the mixer is running, gradually add the sugar and salt and mix it all until homogenous. Add the mascarpone and mix until well combined. Slowly add the milk and vanilla and mix it all until it gets smooth. Use the fold function to mix in the sour cream. Cover and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours, or overnight.
Turn on the ice cream maker and pour the mixture into the frozen freezer bowl and let mix until thickened, about 15 to 20 minutes. The ice cream will have a soft, creamy texture. If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer the ice cream to an airtight container and place in freezer for about 2 hours.
Scoop ice cream into 8 - 1/2 cup sized balls. Place on baking sheet and freeze until firm, about 1 hour.
In a shallow dish, combine cornflakes and cinnamon. In another dish, beat egg whites until foamy. Roll ice cream balls in egg whites, then in cornflakes, covering ice cream completely. Repeat if necessary. Freeze again until firm, 3 hours.
In deep fryer or large, heavy saucepan, heat oil to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
Using a basket or slotted spoon, fry ice cream balls 1 or 2 at a time, for 10 to 15 seconds, until golden. Drain quickly on paper towels and serve immediately.

Happy eating! Let me know how it worked for you..
Your Guide To Finding The Best Ice Cream Maker On Market Today

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 31 Jul 2017 1:09 pm

Tic...Toc...Tic...Toc...

Sia White

Post by Sia White » Wed, 04 Oct 2017 7:33 pm

I love the idea for alcohol in the ice cream ;) I usually add some chia seeds although you are not going to taste them differently it is the healthy ingredient in the dessert.