Singapore Expats

Re-instating PR 2nd Generation

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Kamikaze

Re-instating PR 2nd Generation

Post by Kamikaze » Thu, 28 Sep 2017 4:53 am

Hi,

I had to move with my father's job transfer out of Singapore and given we were not sure how long he will be posted my parents renounced my PR (only and not that of all family members). Now things have changed at my father's work place and he is considering returning to Singapore.

What are the chances he can appeal for my PR to be re-instated as it is less than 6 months since we left Singapore.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Re-instating PR 2nd Generation

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 28 Sep 2017 5:08 am

What is your age, and are you male or female? The big question is: Does it look like you avoided NS liability by giving up PR.

Also, what was and what is your parent's status with respect to PR?

Kamikaze

Post by Kamikaze » Thu, 28 Sep 2017 5:26 am

Strong Eagle wrote:What is your age, and are you male or female? The big question is: Does it look like you avoided NS liability by giving up PR.

I am male and will be 17 years in few months time. My parents have been PR for 15 years and continue holding the PR status.

We never wanted to give up PR for NS obligation reasons. I was, I am and I will be interested in NS and my parents support that. Hence my parents are thinking of returning.

But I heard my father talking that if we keep PR for me then he has to put huge amount as some kind of bond and he did not have enough money.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 28 Sep 2017 6:44 am

I cannot comment on the bond, but I do know that if you withdrew your CPF funds, they must all be replaced before PR can be reconsidered.

I am sure others with more PR knowledge will clarify.

Kamikaze

Post by Kamikaze » Thu, 28 Sep 2017 8:36 am

Strong Eagle wrote:I cannot comment on the bond, but I do know that if you withdrew your CPF funds, they must all be replaced before PR can be reconsidered.

I am sure others with more PR knowledge will clarify.
As I said my parents still have their PR and they have not renounced theirs. They renounced only mine.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 28 Sep 2017 9:31 am

Kamikaze wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:What is your age, and are you male or female? The big question is: Does it look like you avoided NS liability by giving up PR.

I am male and will be 17 years in few months time. My parents have been PR for 15 years and continue holding the PR status.

We never wanted to give up PR for NS obligation reasons. I was, I am and I will be interested in NS and my parents support that. Hence my parents are thinking of returning.

But I heard my father talking that if we keep PR for me then he has to put huge amount as some kind of bond and he did not have enough money.
So your parents took out YOUR PR ?

To avoid the bond ?

Oh dear.

If you want your PR back, it most likely will be on YOUR Merit, and if and only if MinDef is in a good mood, may allow you to re-enlist.

This is SG, unlike US, where serving in the Forces ensures Green Card or Citizenship.

The bond amount is S$75,000 or an amount equivalent to 50% of the combined annual gross income of both your parents for the preceding year, whichever is higher.

PS, I know some guy who had to contemplate a nearly 1 million $ bond, before deciding to keep the son in SG !

https://www.cmpb.gov.sg/cmpb/before-ns/ ... -and-bond/

PS, you may have to think of Plan B, away from Singapore.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 28 Sep 2017 11:10 am

What a stuff up.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 28 Sep 2017 11:54 am

PNGMK wrote:What a stuff up.
But he didn't do it to himself !!!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 28 Sep 2017 2:37 pm

ecureilx wrote:
PNGMK wrote:What a stuff up.
But he didn't do it to himself !!!
No. In retrospect his folks should have left him in Singapore in school with his PR to do NS.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by brian_singapore » Thu, 28 Sep 2017 6:24 pm

Will the authorities understand he didn't do this to himself?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 28 Sep 2017 6:32 pm

brian_singapore wrote:Will the authorities understand he didn't do this to himself?
From what I know. NO.

Kamikaze

Post by Kamikaze » Fri, 29 Sep 2017 1:16 am

Will it help if my dad were to visit authorities in person and show them all the emails to evidence that it was work related move and that his intention was always to return to Singapore. Now with work side not moving as he wished we all want to return sooner than he thought.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 29 Sep 2017 8:25 am

I personally don't think it's going to help, truth be known. After all, even to the uninitiated, you leaving with the parents (whether temporary or not) and the parents keeping their PR and giving your's up would look like a deliberate ploy to get you out of NS. After all, you were 16 or very near it and knew you were due for call up for NS. By giving it up, if successfully done, you could have been brought back in and put on a Student Pass or possibly an LTVP (doubtful under the circumstances). Sadly, the government is rather closed minded on this subject and would rather make an example of someone rather than to allow them to right their wrong as then it shows others that the government is flexible. Had they applied for an exit permit as they should have done, they could have gotten the bond with no more than a banker's guarantee (which doesn't mean putting up the whole 75K ). He can try talking to them, but, if you want my honest opinion, they also better have a Plan B when their REP comes up for renewal as they may find themselves with only a 1 year renewal so they can exit Singapore gracefully. I hope not, but I've been here too long. :-k
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 29 Sep 2017 9:03 am

Kamikaze wrote:Will it help if my dad were to visit authorities in person and show them all the emails to evidence that it was work related move and that his intention was always to return to Singapore. Now with work side not moving as he wished we all want to return sooner than he thought.
Truth be told, SG Govt is a Machine, a huge machine, that has very little room for understanding situations and making exceptions.

Intentions etc etc don't have room in the system.

How could I say that ? Example, from observing somebody who very deserves Citizenship, being denied, because some other metric does not match.

Even though the person is like 1000 times better in terms of commitment to SG, vs those who get it easily but use SG Passport to work overseas, and start investing all their savings overseas - back home

Because the system has no room for anybody who goes out of the set logic. :)

No offense. That's Singapore.

Your father may try.

BTW, what's your race ? Just curious.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 29 Sep 2017 11:31 am

I think, for this specific case, the main problems is, it just looks bad and hardly convincing. Giving up the PR for the son while keeping it for the parents would be IMHO really difficult to defend, in person or not.

Still, nothing to lose trying.