Singapore Expats

PR Application - Need Advice

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: PR Application - Need Advice

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 18 Sep 2017 2:02 pm

BBCDoc wrote:But I thought rules do apply - what about SC trying to marry WP without permission?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The rules that you are referring to what ecureilx is saying is different. What he meant is for spouse of SC, for PR they are not strict on the spouse salary, contribution to SG, etc as long as the SC is able to prove that he is financially stable and the marriage is intact.

SWAT80

Post by SWAT80 » Mon, 18 Sep 2017 2:05 pm

BBCDoc wrote:But I thought rules do apply - what about SC trying to marry WP without permission?

If she is on WP, there are a lot of restrictions from what I know, she can't get pregnant when on WP or else she will be barred and blacklisted. If both of you want to get married, need to get approval from MOM or ICA prior to marriage.

Good to check with the authorities before doing anything or else it might badly affect your future application for LTVP or PR.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 18 Sep 2017 2:46 pm

SWAT80 wrote:

If she is on WP, there are a lot of restrictions from what I know, she can't get pregnant when on WP or else she will be barred and blacklisted. If both of you want to get married, need to get approval from MOM or ICA prior to marriage.

Good to check with the authorities before doing anything or else it might badly affect your future application for LTVP or PR.
BBCDoc, if a SC marries a WP without permission, thats a different kettle of fish.

SWAT80, I used to think like you, that SG gov (follow old Mr Lee's preference for graduates marrying graduates, SDU and all .. )

but of later, with lot of exposure to friends and close friends experience, it is not so.

Or since of late, the govt mellowed down. Considering how the plan B to increase population via imports is not working in their favor

So, if an SC marries a Foreigner, the ICA has less restrictions, and totally unlike what you say. And always there is a way out. Unless govt has given specifications for who any SC can marry.

Why do they ask ? Well, Singapore likes to collect data.

So per your theory, my taxi driver friend who married a filipina who don't even a high school certificate has to head to divorce ? is that what ICA is strongly encouraging ?

SWAT80

Post by SWAT80 » Mon, 18 Sep 2017 4:37 pm

ecureilx wrote:
SWAT80 wrote:

BBCDoc, if a SC marries a WP without permission, thats a different kettle of fish.

SWAT80, I used to think like you, that SG gov (follow old Mr Lee's preference for graduates marrying graduates, SDU and all .. )

but of later, with lot of exposure to friends and close friends experience, it is not so.

Or since of late, the govt mellowed down. Considering how the plan B to increase population via imports is not working in their favor

So, if an SC marries a Foreigner, the ICA has less restrictions, and totally unlike what you say. And always there is a way out. Unless govt has given specifications for who any SC can marry.

Why do they ask ? Well, Singapore likes to collect data.

So per your theory, my taxi driver friend who married a filipina who don't even a high school certificate has to head to divorce ? is that what ICA is strongly encouraging ?
Hi ecureilx, I don't think ICA advocate divorce for the case of SC marrying Filipina but she can always be on LTVP but not PR. I don't have the answer if Govt has any specification on who SC can marry but it's for sure that some nationality or profile are harder to get PR or ultimately SC. I have colleagues and friends around me who married Thai and Viet and their spouse has been staying in sg for few years but they didn't get their PR after few attempts. But friends who married Malaysian are clearly much easier to get PR for their spouse.

No one has a clear picture of how they select or approve PR applications.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 18 Sep 2017 5:33 pm

SWAT80 wrote:Hi ecureilx, I don't think ICA advocate divorce for the case of SC marrying Filipina but she can always be on LTVP but not PR. I don't have the answer if Govt has any specification on who SC can marry but it's for sure that some nationality or profile are harder to get PR or ultimately SC. I have colleagues and friends around me who married Thai and Viet and their spouse has been staying in sg for few years but they didn't get their PR after few attempts. But friends who married Malaysian are clearly much easier to get PR for their spouse.

Ok, I am sorry, my sarcasm failed.

So to clarify, whether PR or LTVP my point was if ICA was gonna be extremely angry and say get lost..

So what's the big deal between PR and LTVP or LTVP + ?

As long as the spouse is SC, don't matter much, right ?

Other than the wife being more dependent on the husband for LTVP renewal, vs PR

Yes, nobody has a clear picture. but the clear picture i have is, SCs Spouse are getting the preferential treatment they deserve

SCmarriedtoMalaysian

Post by SCmarriedtoMalaysian » Wed, 20 Sep 2017 11:33 am

ecureilx wrote:
SWAT80 wrote:Hi ecureilx, I don't think ICA advocate divorce for the case of SC marrying Filipina but she can always be on LTVP but not PR. I don't have the answer if Govt has any specification on who SC can marry but it's for sure that some nationality or profile are harder to get PR or ultimately SC. I have colleagues and friends around me who married Thai and Viet and their spouse has been staying in sg for few years but they didn't get their PR after few attempts. But friends who married Malaysian are clearly much easier to get PR for their spouse.

So to clarify, whether PR or LTVP my point was if ICA was gonna be extremely angry and say get lost..

Yes, nobody has a clear picture. but the clear picture i have is, SCs Spouse are getting the preferential treatment they deserve

got to clarify here: there is a huge deal between PR and LTVP and LTVP+

Let's just talk about the most common housing and medical benefits.
LTVP has no medical benefits, and LTVP+ a little. PR's medical benefits are just a little short from SC's.
Housing wise, LTVP and LTVP+ are considered occupiers in a household. A SC/LTVP couple can only purchase a HDB from the open market or BTO if the SC is 35 and above. In addition, their loan is only based on the SC. This would require them to fork up at least $50-100K in CASH. PR, on the other hand, is considered as an owner and will allow the couple to loan a much higher amount.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 20 Sep 2017 2:00 pm

SCmarriedtoMalaysian wrote:So what's the big deal between PR and LTVP or LTVP + ?

LTVP has no medical benefits, and LTVP+ a little. PR's medical benefits are just a little short from SC's.
Housing wise, LTVP and LTVP+ are considered occupiers in a household. A SC/LTVP couple can only purchase a HDB from the open market or BTO if the SC is 35 and above. In addition, their loan is only based on the SC. This would require them to fork up at least $50-100K in CASH. PR, on the other hand, is considered as an owner and will allow the couple to loan a much higher amount.
Well, if the intention is to stay for a longer period, would it matter if it is PR or LTVP / LTVP + ?

That's not what I say one, that's how ICA respond nowadays.

So if you die die only want PR and not happy with LTVP or LTVP + , go fight - AFTER getting LTVP

That's my 2 cents. No more

SWAT80

Post by SWAT80 » Wed, 20 Sep 2017 2:14 pm

SCmarriedtoMalaysian wrote:
ecureilx wrote:

This is precisely my point why ICA is so stringent on approvingly PR even though the spouse might be SC. cos to the gov, it's not about social engineering but to Ensure ppl are not applying PR to get benefit from the system without real intention to stay and serve. How many times we saw ppl converting to PR and reap the benefits like cheaper healthcare, cheap HDB bto, etc but not willing to serve NS or ultimately converting to SC.

Hence they are looking at approving SC-PR families who are really contributing to sg economy like paying more taxes and not really getting the benefit like HDB etc..

I believe many ppl wants to be PR so that they can get HDB resale, HDB BTO or EC..

Anyways I am sure every case is different but ICA has to be the gatekeeper to prevent ppl from abusing.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 20 Sep 2017 7:35 pm

SWAT80 wrote: This is precisely my point why ICA is so stringent on approvingly PR even though the spouse might be SC. cos to the gov, it's not about social engineering but to Ensure ppl are not applying PR to get benefit from the system without real intention to stay and serve. How many times we saw ppl converting to PR and reap the benefits like cheaper healthcare, cheap HDB bto, etc but not willing to serve NS or ultimately converting to SC.

Hence they are looking at approving SC-PR families who are really contributing to sg economy like paying more taxes and not really getting the benefit like HDB etc..

I believe many ppl wants to be PR so that they can get HDB resale, HDB BTO or EC..

Anyways I am sure every case is different but ICA has to be the gatekeeper to prevent ppl from abusing.
As if ICA can mind read prospective residents...

I have to LOL at your hypothesis anyway

No offence.

PS, I still don't get the part of paying more tax, making a big difference. But if you insist so, so be it.

My office mates on S pass or Work pass for PR, 8 of them, are PR, recent applicants... . None pays big tax.

While 2 EP holders from that same country with pretty similar profiles were rejected.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 20 Sep 2017 8:52 pm

Squirrel, don't worry about SWAT80. He's just tryin' to be somebody. :twisted:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 20 Sep 2017 9:06 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Squirrel, don't worry about SWAT80. He's just tryin' to be somebody. :twisted: