Singapore Expats

American Living Outside SG Applying for PR Through Wife's PR

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
CScottG

American Living Outside SG Applying for PR Through Wife's PR

Post by CScottG » Wed, 20 Sep 2017 4:38 pm

I am marrying a PR this month. She lives and works in SG and I don't. I am currently employed outside SG and well paid with advanced degrees (I have never worked or been employed in SG). We are thinking to apply to for PR through her to help my chances to find employment. Any thoughts on PR getting approved under such circumstances? Input appreciated

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: American Living Outside SG Applying for PR Through Wife's PR

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 20 Sep 2017 7:22 pm

CScottG wrote:I am marrying a PR this month. She lives and works in SG and I don't. I am currently employed outside SG and well paid with advanced degrees (I have never worked or been employed in SG). We are thinking to apply to for PR through her to help my chances to find employment. Any thoughts on PR getting approved under such circumstances? Input appreciated
Difficult

Unless you are prepared for a 99% rejection, don't bother applying.

Better get here, get long term pass.

PR isn't easy to come by unless your spouse is a citizen or you have been married for 3 years AND you have been here for a while.

What passport does your spouse hold?

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 20 Sep 2017 7:25 pm

ecureilx wrote:
CScottG wrote:I am marrying a PR this month. She lives and works in SG and I don't. I am currently employed outside SG and well paid with advanced degrees (I have never worked or been employed in SG). We are thinking to apply to for PR through her to help my chances to find employment. Any thoughts on PR getting approved under such circumstances? Input appreciated
Difficult

PR isn't easy to come by unless your spouse is a citizen or you have been married for 3 years AND you have been here for a while.

You are wrong. 100% rejection

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 20 Sep 2017 7:37 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
Difficult

You are wrong. 100% rejection
Ouch

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 20 Sep 2017 9:23 pm

OP, all is not lost.

If your spouse is a PR, come here, get an LTVP or LTVP+ (as your spouse is a PR it will probably be an LTVP) if so, take it. It will probably be good for 12 months before it needs to be renewed. This will give you the right to exist here on a residential basis as opposed to a tourist. Once here you can start doing you job search in earnest. If you can find a job you can have the employer apply for an LoC (Letter of Consent) so you can work. From ICA FAQs.....
12. Visitor Services >> Visit Pass
I am an LTVP holder and not an LTVP+ holder, can I apply for an LOC if I intend to work in Singapore?

Spouses of SC/PR on LTVP are eligible for LOC from 1st Feb 2015.
Go for it.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

CScottG

Post by CScottG » Wed, 20 Sep 2017 10:16 pm

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. 0.5% were some pretty great odds. To answer the earlier question she is Malaysian Chinese.

So having an LTVP and getting the employer to issue an LOC is easier/less restrictions/less red tape than an Employment Pass? I talking with some companies and will be most likely changing industries so want to keep the hurdles to as minimum as possible for an offer to come through.

Thanks again for the feedback.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 21 Sep 2017 7:58 am

CScottG wrote:Thanks to everyone for the feedback. 0.5% were some pretty great odds. To answer the earlier question she is Malaysian Chinese.

So having an LTVP and getting the employer to issue an LOC is easier/less restrictions/less red tape than an Employment Pass? I talking with some companies and will be most likely changing industries so want to keep the hurdles to as minimum as possible for an offer to come through.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Take note, of late, LOCs are also being throttled. So it's not a walk in the park....

Reasons for that are many.

Take it easy, since you are committed to moving to Singapore..

CScottG

Post by CScottG » Thu, 21 Sep 2017 8:12 am

Thanks for the feedback. Seems employment through EP or PR (low chance) are my options. I am not quitting my job to come there, just looking for ways to make it easier. I am in China and not the place to start a family, not getting any younger :)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 21 Sep 2017 9:32 am

CScottG wrote:Thanks for the feedback. Seems employment through EP or PR (low chance) are my options. I am not quitting my job to come there, just looking for ways to make it easier. I am in China and not the place to start a family, not getting any younger :)
If you had married a Citizen, your options would have been more ..

Can't change that, right ? :D :D Pun intended.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 21 Sep 2017 9:40 am

If you meet the salary criteria (18K per month I think) your other option is a PEP. It's like a PR in that it isn't tied to a job but only lasts 3 years and is not renewable. When it expires you need to move onto an EP, etc.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 21 Sep 2017 9:46 am

bgd wrote:If you meet the salary criteria (18K per month I think) your other option is a PEP. It's like a PR in that it isn't tied to a job but only lasts 3 years and is not renewable.
...and you will need to secure a job within 6 months after receiving it.

CScottG

Post by CScottG » Thu, 21 Sep 2017 10:08 am

Thanks again to you all for all the help, very useful information.