Singapore Expats

Steps to take to marry a Malaysian man (wp holder working in Singapore)

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
zxcv32

Steps to take to marry a Malaysian man (wp holder working in Singapore)

Post by zxcv32 » Sat, 09 Sep 2017 8:32 pm

Hi, are there any female Singaporeans married to a male Malaysian work permit holder (who is working in Singapore)? My plan is to stay in JB and work in Singapore. I would like to know the steps you took to start a life together(Housing, children etc). Any information would be of help. Thank you. :)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Steps to take to marry a Malaysian man (wp holder working in Singapore)

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 10 Sep 2017 7:47 am

zxcv32 wrote:Hi, are there any female Singaporeans married to a male Malaysian work permit holder (who is working in Singapore)? My plan is to stay in JB and work in Singapore. I would like to know the steps you took to start a life together(Housing, children etc). Any information would be of help. Thank you. :)
Steps?

Like how to live your life?

Anyway, step 1, get MOM approval

Step 2, I think you can figure that one yourself

How is your Singaporean wife's pay and job like?

zxcv32

Post by zxcv32 » Sun, 10 Sep 2017 3:05 pm

ecureilx wrote:
zxcv32 wrote:Hi, are there any female Singaporeans married to a male Malaysian work permit holder (who is working in Singapore)? My plan is to stay in JB and work in Singapore. I would like to know the steps you took to start a life together(Housing, children etc). Any information would be of help. Thank you. :)
Steps?

Thank you for your reply! I am the her actually >< I am currently studying and about to graduate. We want to prepare ourselves of what hardships may occur in the future.

By steps i meant like in terms of everything - housing, children, work etc.

Here's what i know so far:
- I know we will have to ask MOM for permission (and risk the chances of him being ban).
- As for housing in Singapore, i know we can purchase a flat as long as 1 of the spouse is Singaporean Citizen but if he is banned, it no longer an option as i would like for us to stay together.
- For housing in JB, we can't buy a house together as one is foreigner so that limits the options of buying a (bigger) house if he's no longer able to work in Singapore.
- If a foreigner were to buy a house in Malaysia(JB) the minimum cost of property would have to be RM 1 million and if we want to purchase a property together it would have to be RM 2 million (not too sure about the 2 mil).

I would like to know:
- Did people who have went through this buy a house? how?
- Did they apply dual citizenship for their children?
- If i were to stay in JB and work in Singapore, do i need to declare anything? and who do i declare it to?
- Do i need and sort of visa to stay in JB?
- Have you heard of any work related rules/difficulties(in the government sector) in marrying a foreigner or staying in JB?
- Are there any other things that i should be aware of?

SaraAbdul

Post by SaraAbdul » Mon, 11 Sep 2017 1:15 pm

zxcv32 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
Steps?

Thank you for your reply! I am the her actually >< I am currently studying and about to graduate. We want to prepare ourselves of what hardships may occur in the future.

By steps i meant like in terms of everything - housing, children, work etc. I will help answer it by using myself in your shoes, apologies if it is not favorable.

- I know we will have to ask MOM for permission (and risk the chances of him being ban). Yes to apply.
- As for housing in Singapore, i know we can purchase a flat as long as 1 of the spouse is Singaporean Citizen but if he is banned, it no longer an option as i would like for us to stay together. Do above first
- For housing in JB, we can't buy a house together as one is foreigner so that limits the options of buying a (bigger) house if he's no longer able to work in Singapore. Dont think too far, buy house under his name only even if it means smaller house.
- If a foreigner were to buy a house in Malaysia(JB) the minimum cost of property would have to be RM 1 million and if we want to purchase a property together it would have to be RM 2 million (not too sure about the 2 mil). No comment here as i already have a house bought under my name.

I would like to know:
- Did people who have went through this buy a house? how? i know a singaporean who married a malaysian. The Malaysian spouse buy house in Malaysia alone.
- Did they apply dual citizenship for their children? Both country do not have dual citizenship. Can have both passport but have to give up one by age 18 yo.
- If i were to stay in JB and work in Singapore, do i need to declare anything? and who do i declare it to? you have to apply residency permit to Malaysian authority (register your marriage in malaysia, then ask/follow their advise)
- Do i need and sort of visa to stay in JB? yes as above
- Have you heard of any work related rules/difficulties(in the government sector) in marrying a foreigner or staying in JB? No, at least my circle of friends and family yet to marry a WP.
- Are there any other things that i should be aware of? Difficulties to drive in and out of Singapore every working day?

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Mon, 11 Sep 2017 5:11 pm

SaraAbdul wrote:
zxcv32 wrote: - Are there any other things that i should be aware of? Difficulties to drive in and out of Singapore every working day?
That is a biggie. I know some people who moved across the causeway for schooling. The daily trip can be very hit and miss. So much so that they now also have a place in Sg for those days when it's just too hard to get home.

They love the lifestyle over there but it hasn't proved to be the 'cheaper' option.

zxcv32

Post by zxcv32 » Mon, 11 Sep 2017 9:36 pm

SaraAbdul wrote:
zxcv32 wrote:
By steps i meant like in terms of everything - housing, children, work etc. I will help answer it by using myself in your shoes, apologies if it is not favorable.

- I know we will have to ask MOM for permission (and risk the chances of him being ban). Yes to apply.
- As for housing in Singapore, i know we can purchase a flat as long as 1 of the spouse is Singaporean Citizen but if he is banned, it no longer an option as i would like for us to stay together. Do above first
- For housing in JB, we can't buy a house together as one is foreigner so that limits the options of buying a (bigger) house if he's no longer able to work in Singapore. Dont think too far, buy house under his name only even if it means smaller house.
- If a foreigner were to buy a house in Malaysia(JB) the minimum cost of property would have to be RM 1 million and if we want to purchase a property together it would have to be RM 2 million (not too sure about the 2 mil). No comment here as i already have a house bought under my name.

I would like to know:
- Did people who have went through this buy a house? how? i know a singaporean who married a malaysian. The Malaysian spouse buy house in Malaysia alone.
- Did they apply dual citizenship for their children? Both country do not have dual citizenship. Can have both passport but have to give up one by age 18 yo.
- If i were to stay in JB and work in Singapore, do i need to declare anything? and who do i declare it to? you have to apply residency permit to Malaysian authority (register your marriage in malaysia, then ask/follow their advise)
- Do i need and sort of visa to stay in JB? yes as above
- Have you heard of any work related rules/difficulties(in the government sector) in marrying a foreigner or staying in JB? No, at least my circle of friends and family yet to marry a WP.
- Are there any other things that i should be aware of? Difficulties to drive in and out of Singapore every working day?
Thank you for the reply SaraAbdul :) If there are other members who have experience/knowledgeable in this, do share your experiences/stories. Much appreciated.

Lostsoul

Post by Lostsoul » Wed, 13 Sep 2017 11:50 am

My wife was on WP as well.

We went through the following route - MOM Approval (approved in Dec 2015), PMLE (approved in Feb 2016), ROM (April 2016) and LTVP (approved in June 2016, renewed in May 2017). Now pending PR application.

Do note that you will need to buy a resale flat yep, you cannot BTO with just one Singaporean unless you are 35 and above (even then, you can only get 2 room apartments 36-45sqm).

Resale flats will cost you far more than a BTO and you will be solo-ing with one CPF acc unless you have wealthy parents/patrons.

niceit198

Post by niceit198 » Wed, 13 Sep 2017 4:41 pm

possible update your both age, job ?

below are my comment my wife was sg citizen

- I know we will have to ask MOM for permission (and risk the chances of him being ban).
Normally wont be ban, what make u thinking he could be ban ?

- As for housing in Singapore, i know we can purchase a flat as long as 1 of the spouse is Singaporean Citizen but if he is banned, it no longer an option as i would like for us to stay together.
U can apply for hdb non citizen scheme limited to 2 room flat. just enough both of u to stay. think about my question asked early.

- For housing in JB, we can't buy a house together as one is foreigner so that limits the options of buying a (bigger) house if he's no longer able to work in Singapore.
refer above.

- If a foreigner were to buy a house in Malaysia(JB) the minimum cost of property would have to be RM 1 million and if we want to purchase a property together it would have to be RM 2 million (not too sure about the 2 mil).
U has option to choose lower housing , far abit from singapore not more than 500k , housing loan base on citizen (if sgd 2-3k i dont think u can get a RM500k loan)

I would like to know:
U both must get married 1st , seek for MOm approval next LTVP then u can start look for housing

Mainly depend where u born your child, my case child born in malaysia. apply citizenship in singapore. now is dual citizen , have to decide renounce either citizen in 21. other saying on 18 could be PR i think? dual citizen please think carefully, during your child renounce citizen is a big challenge to they future.

- If i were to stay in JB and work in Singapore, do i need to declare anything? and who do i declare it to?
u just need to update your marriage on both country , if u can to stay in malaysia for long term. apply long term pass.

refer above.

- Have you heard of any work related rules/difficulties(in the government sector) in marrying a foreigner or staying in JB?
sorry my english is limited not really understand. i hope most the answer help u out.

think your future. decide with no regret and go.

zxcv32 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
Steps?

By steps i meant like in terms of everything - housing, children, work etc.

I would like to know:

zxcv32

Post by zxcv32 » Wed, 13 Sep 2017 7:55 pm

Lostsoul wrote: We went through the following route - MOM Approval (approved in Dec 2015), PMLE (approved in Feb 2016), ROM (April 2016) and LTVP (approved in June 2016, renewed in May 2017). Now pending PR application.
What is PMLE? I have never heard of it before.
Thanks for the info on housing in Singapore.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 13 Sep 2017 10:46 pm

zxcv32 wrote:
Lostsoul wrote: We went through the following route - MOM Approval (approved in Dec 2015), PMLE (approved in Feb 2016), ROM (April 2016) and LTVP (approved in June 2016, renewed in May 2017). Now pending PR application.
What is PMLE? I have never heard of it before.
Thanks for the info on housing in Singapore.
https://ltpass.ica.gov.sg/evpaa/jsp/FAQ.jsp

zxcv32

Post by zxcv32 » Wed, 13 Sep 2017 11:50 pm

niceit198 wrote:possible update your both age, job ?
I'm 23 and currently studying while he is 30 and his monthly income is around $2k+
niceit198 wrote: - I know we will have to ask MOM for permission (and risk the chances of him being ban).
I have heard stories in which some has been banned and in some cases they are banned for a period of time (5 year, 10 years etc).

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 14 Sep 2017 8:39 am

zxcv32 wrote:
niceit198 wrote:possible update your both age, job ?
I'm 23 and currently studying while he is 30 and his monthly income is around $2k+
niceit198 wrote: - I know we will have to ask MOM for permission (and risk the chances of him being ban).
I have heard stories in which some has been banned and in some cases they are banned for a period of time (5 year, 10 years etc).
Those who have been banned, from my experience, are those who were on Maid Permit, (WP) and decided they must not listen to MOM.

zxcv32

Post by zxcv32 » Thu, 14 Sep 2017 1:52 pm

ecureilx wrote: Those who have been banned, from my experience, are those who were on Maid Permit, (WP) and decided they must not listen to MOM.
So let's say if we were to apply and the MOM rejects us but we still go through with the marriage, he will most likely be banned?

niceit198

Post by niceit198 » Thu, 14 Sep 2017 2:02 pm

likely not , but most bigger effect i could guess is the future application like PR even for LTVP
zxcv32 wrote:
ecureilx wrote: Those who have been banned, from my experience, are those who were on Maid Permit, (WP) and decided they must not listen to MOM.
So let's say if we were to apply and the MOM rejects us but we still go through with the marriage, he will most likely be banned?

Lostsoul

Post by Lostsoul » Thu, 14 Sep 2017 3:41 pm

The Senior Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Manpower (Mr Hawazi Daipi) (for the Minister for Manpower): Sir, there are presently more than 500,000 foreign work permit holders in Singapore. To maintain our social equilibrium, these large numbers of foreign workers are allowed to work in Singapore only if they agree to our marriage restriction policy. Those who marry without approval will be repatriated and disallowed entry into Singapore. This is made clear to all foreign worker applicants who apply to work in Singapore. This strict enforcement is necessary to maintain this policy. Therefore, all current and ex-work permit holders are reminded to adhere to this pre-condition to which they have agreed upon.