Singapore Expats

Whatsapp Meetup group

Events and gatherings for the 20's Club
pseudo_ace

Re: Whatsapp Meetup group

Post by pseudo_ace » Sat, 26 Aug 2017 9:59 am

Hey guys,

It seems like what most people are worried about is the lack of privacy of Whatsapp/FB Group because it will divulge your number to everybody else in the group, like this post right below.
ecureilx wrote: Whatsapp is also the best way for Creeps, desperate, spammers, tele marketers, insurance sales people and sundry to stalk someone, since, yes, get this, your number is exposed, and unlike other mediums, it's easier to really get on those, especially those FOBs, who are very trusting..
ecureilx wrote: It's not necessary to provide personal phone no to strangers.
I would recommend y'all to try out Telegram.

You will be required to input your number upon registration, but ONLY your username (also known as your @xxxxx) will be shown to others in the group. If you have no username, nothing will be shown except your input name and profile picture (if any). If you share your contact information with someone, your number will be revealed to him/her.
CSrob wrote: if you would allow someone to just create a group and share the invite link, we could actually have a community of younger people (because news flash: forums are not cool anymore) and get some meet ups going on!
To add on, Telegram also offers the "Invite link" option which allows many people to join without having to "hey can you PM me your number, etc." Click on the link, and boom, you're in. Telegram Web is also a feature akin to Whatsapp Web. You can easily use Telegram at your convenience like in office without having to glance at your phone all the time.
CSrob wrote:If you actually want to contribute to this thread, try suggesting an app that is more private and wouldn't be too inconvenient to download.
If you're having concerns like this one above, I have great news for you.

Telegram is completely free on Appstore and Playstore with absolutely NO in-app purchases, and it's probably one of the hottest messaging applications alongside with WhatsApp, WeChat, etc. It takes up 50MB on your phone if you're wondering. Admins can also be appointed to the group to facilitate any spam/telemarketers. Bots can also be implemented to automatically kick anyone out for spam if they send a (value: adjusted) amount of messages in a second. It has tons of other features such as reporting, filtering, warns, bans, kicks, welcome message, message pin, etc. It has a maximum group capacity of 10,000 members so I doubt that should pose any issue.

Security wise, read this link: https://telegram.org/faq#q-how-secure-is-telegram

Anyone wanna try the idea out?

Cheers =)

Yingqiu

Post by Yingqiu » Sun, 27 Aug 2017 12:02 pm

?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 27 Aug 2017 4:06 pm

pseudo_ace wrote:Hey guys,
Kick start your suggestion!

welshflipflops

Post by welshflipflops » Fri, 01 Sep 2017 8:38 pm

Hey Guys,

Just stumbled across this awesome forum.
Would be well up for a few drinks and making some new mates.

Can someone pm on how to join?

Thanks,

Mark

venusian

Post by venusian » Sun, 03 Sep 2017 10:24 am

Hi here

Could you please so kind to add me into the group, thanks.

Sent from my E6533 using Tapatalk

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 03 Sep 2017 11:07 am

welshflipflops wrote:Hey Guys,

Just stumbled across this awesome forum.
Would be well up for a few drinks and making some new mates.

Can someone pm on how to join?

Thanks,

Mark
Form your own group

As told before, fix a date and time and place.

See how many are keen

Move it

Kavita Chinoy

Post by Kavita Chinoy » Sun, 10 Sep 2017 12:28 am

Hi, I'd love to be added to the group too! 22F, recently moved to Singapore from the US, working in medical devices. Excited to explore what Singapore has to offer! Please PM me with the details :)

Lienvalesquez

Post by Lienvalesquez » Thu, 14 Sep 2017 6:49 am

:) female, 28, marketing comms. Just arrived in Singapore on the 12 and looking for new friends with hang out with! Dm me with the group info??

abbasjaora

Post by abbasjaora » Sun, 05 Aug 2018 7:07 pm

Heyy 22M from London recently moved to SG I would definitely like to join the group and make new friends

Kindly PM the details

Zoe Lang

Post by Zoe Lang » Sun, 05 Aug 2018 11:40 pm

Hi there! It’s Zoe here! Female, 27, management consulting! Looking for new friends here! Please add me to the group! Many thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

misa.f

Post by misa.f » Sun, 19 Aug 2018 10:28 pm

Hi, I'm 27F, and recently moved to Singapore. I'd like to make new friends! Can you add me? Please PM me about details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xuanie

Post by xuanie » Sun, 19 Aug 2018 11:59 pm

Hi can add me in too?:)

MoonLuv

Post by MoonLuv » Mon, 27 Aug 2018 7:30 pm

Agree with this, telegram rocking too
pseudo_ace wrote:Hey guys,

It seems like what most people are worried about is the lack of privacy of Whatsapp/FB Group because it will divulge your number to everybody else in the group, like this post right below.
ecureilx wrote: Whatsapp is also the best way for Creeps, desperate, spammers, tele marketers, insurance sales people and sundry to stalk someone, since, yes, get this, your number is exposed, and unlike other mediums, it's easier to really get on those, especially those FOBs, who are very trusting..
ecureilx wrote: It's not necessary to provide personal phone no to strangers.
I would recommend y'all to try out Telegram.

You will be required to input your number upon registration, but ONLY your username (also known as your @xxxxx) will be shown to others in the group. If you have no username, nothing will be shown except your input name and profile picture (if any). If you share your contact information with someone, your number will be revealed to him/her.
CSrob wrote: if you would allow someone to just create a group and share the invite link, we could actually have a community of younger people (because news flash: forums are not cool anymore) and get some meet ups going on!
To add on, Telegram also offers the "Invite link" option which allows many people to join without having to "hey can you PM me your number, etc." Click on the link, and boom, you're in. Telegram Web is also a feature akin to Whatsapp Web. You can easily use Telegram at your convenience like in office without having to glance at your phone all the time.
CSrob wrote:If you actually want to contribute to this thread, try suggesting an app that is more private and wouldn't be too inconvenient to download.
If you're having concerns like this one above, I have great news for you.

Telegram is completely free on Appstore and Playstore with absolutely NO in-app purchases, and it's probably one of the hottest messaging applications alongside with WhatsApp, WeChat, etc. It takes up 50MB on your phone if you're wondering. Admins can also be appointed to the group to facilitate any spam/telemarketers. Bots can also be implemented to automatically kick anyone out for spam if they send a (value: adjusted) amount of messages in a second. It has tons of other features such as reporting, filtering, warns, bans, kicks, welcome message, message pin, etc. It has a maximum group capacity of 10,000 members so I doubt that should pose any issue.

Security wise, read this link: https://telegram.org/faq#q-how-secure-is-telegram

Anyone wanna try the idea out?

Cheers =)

RyanSG

Post by RyanSG » Fri, 31 Aug 2018 7:50 pm

Is this still going?

I'm looking to set up a meet-up over drinks next Friday (September 7th), drop me a PM and I can give you details (number of people so far, my number, etc.)

iceflame

Post by iceflame » Fri, 26 Oct 2018 10:22 am

HI Guys, so thos thread has died after Aug 31st?
or can any kind soul can pm me, so i can give he/she my number to be added into the whatsapp/telegram?

Thank you so much in advance......