Singapore Expats

EP pending since 5 months

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
sony17

EP pending since 5 months

Post by sony17 » Tue, 05 Sep 2017 3:52 pm

Hello All,

My EP is pending since March 2017. I am an Indian and got an offer with an consulting agency in Singapore. I am working for their company in India since 10 years. Know that EP is getting delayed these days but will it take 5 months? Is it advisable to still wait or to withdraw EP application? Please advise.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: EP pending since 5 months

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 05 Sep 2017 4:12 pm

sony17 wrote:Hello All,

My EP is pending since March 2017. I am an Indian and got an offer with an consulting agency in Singapore. I am working for their company in India since 10 years. Know that EP is getting delayed these days but will it take 5 months? Is it advisable to still wait or to withdraw EP application? Please advise.
Depending upon where you got your degree and all, yes, can take upto 5 months !!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 05 Sep 2017 8:20 pm

When you say "consulting agency", you mean a body shop, that is, they are going to rent you out to other companies?

If yes, you may have a very very long wait.

sony17

Post by sony17 » Wed, 06 Sep 2017 1:10 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:When you say "consulting agency", you mean a body shop, that is, they are going to rent you out to other companies?

Not renting to other companies. Will be posted in the agency itself.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 07 Sep 2017 1:06 am

sony17 wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:When you say "consulting agency", you mean a body shop, that is, they are going to rent you out to other companies?

What does this consulting agency do? What line of consulting?

anpisces

Post by anpisces » Thu, 07 Sep 2017 1:33 pm

Hi, 3 weeks ago, my company applied Employment Pass for me.

But, suddenly I got an email from MOM that states
"As we need to carry out more checks, it will take at least 3 months to review your application. Each case will be assessed holistically, taking into account applicant-related criteria, input from other agencies, and whether fair consideration has been given to workers in Singapore."

Did you get this email as well? I have never heard of anyone who got that email. Does anyone ever heard of this situation?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 07 Sep 2017 2:27 pm

Yep, I heard about it. While relatively new, at least now they are telling you about the impending delays.

Personally, it's just another way the gahment is trying to slow down the process in order to force employers to hire local instead of foreigners. It's going to get worse before it gets better.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sony17

Post by sony17 » Thu, 07 Sep 2017 4:27 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
sony17 wrote:

What does this consulting agency do? What line of consulting?
It is a recruitment agency for Software industry.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 07 Sep 2017 7:27 pm

sony17 wrote: It is a recruitment agency for Software industry.
And can I hazard a guess that you are an engineer?

anpisces

Post by anpisces » Thu, 07 Sep 2017 9:26 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yep, I heard about it. While relatively new, at least now they are telling you about the impending delays.

Personally, it's just another way the gahment is trying to slow down the process in order to force employers to hire local instead of foreigners. It's going to get worse before it gets better.
I see. It is my first time hearing someone can get an email from MOM. I thought that they usually contacted employer directly, not to the employee.

When did you hear about it? Do you have friends that have the same case as mine and how's their result? I am wondering if this email indicates that they are using vetting agencies to investigate my case, which based on random selection? Or is this special case?

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 07 Sep 2017 10:59 pm

sony17 wrote:It is a recruitment agency for Software industry.
I think you will be in for a very very long wait. Two reasons: First, recruitment of candidates is something the gahmen feels could be done by local talent... why would someone need to be imported to work as a recruiter?

Second, you are from India, and fair or not, there has been plenty of anecdotal evidence that Indians recruit more Indians to the exclusion of other races. I think the gahmen is worried that in addition to taking a job that a local could do, you will not focus on hiring locals into the positions you have available.

My guess... and worth what you paid for it.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 07 Sep 2017 11:23 pm

Are you sure the email was to you from the MOM? Normally it's sent to the Employer and the employer can forward is if they want to. This is what I suspect has happened.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sony17

Post by sony17 » Fri, 08 Sep 2017 10:40 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
sony17 wrote:It is a recruitment agency for Software industry.
I think you will be in for a very very long wait. Two reasons: First, recruitment of candidates is something the gahmen feels could be done by local talent... why would someone need to be imported to work as a recruiter?

Second, you are from India, and fair or not, there has been plenty of anecdotal evidence that Indians recruit more Indians to the exclusion of other races. I think the gahmen is worried that in addition to taking a job that a local could do, you will not focus on hiring locals into the positions you have available.

My guess... and worth what you paid for it.
Thanks for your response.
I do not think this could be an issue as hiring locals is the first priority for any company/races as per the policy. It is not that we can recruit Indians as I am an Indian because there is lot of explanations/proofs to be given if we are not hiring locals and MOM is well aware of that. Anyhow let's wait and see.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 08 Sep 2017 11:09 am

sony17 wrote: Thanks for your response.
I do not think this could be an issue as hiring locals is the first priority for any company/races as per the policy. It is not that we can recruit Indians as I am an Indian because there is lot of explanations/proofs to be given if we are not hiring locals and MOM is well aware of that. Anyhow let's wait and see.
You obviously, have never worked in Singapore before. The above mentioned scenario DID happen here with much regularity up until the 2011 General Election. Singaporeans were unhappy that FT HR Mgrs were hiring only their own kind to the exclusion of all others in the Financial IT and Software industries. So much so that the government in power only won with 60% of the vote (a drop of 7% over the previous election). So while your thoughts are noted, they are NOT relevant in Singapore's case. Therefore, you will just have to wait and see.

anpisces

Post by anpisces » Fri, 08 Sep 2017 6:11 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Are you sure the email was to you from the MOM? Normally it's sent to the Employer and the employer can forward is if they want to. This is what I suspect has happened.
No, it is absolutely from MOM. It was sent through MOM email and personally to me (my company is aware of this, but this email was being sent to just me). That is why it's so weird as I have never heard anyone ever gotten this email from MOM. I am now so worried because I don't know the reason why they emailed me.