Singapore Expats

Applying both EP & Spass through "watchlisted" company

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
fwnz1278

Applying both EP & Spass through "watchlisted" company

Post by fwnz1278 » Wed, 06 Sep 2017 11:29 am

I'm currently working in Singapore and got a new job offer from another company. My new company applied both EP & Spass for me in June, saying that MOM will decide which visa would be given. Soon the company found that they became on the watchlist, so now I've been waiting for the result for past 3 months and still no update from my company. I'm constantly checking my visa status online and until yesterday it said "employment pass - pending." Today I found the status changed to "Spass - Withdrawn"

Does anybody have the similar experience with me? I think there's no meaning for the company to withdraw my spass apply since anyway they should not have spass quota anymore as being on watchlist.

I'm also curious that if there is any case that anyone was totally rejected and couldn't get EP visa because the company is watchlisted.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Applying both EP & Spass through "watchlisted" company

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 06 Sep 2017 1:06 pm

fwnz1278 wrote:I'm currently working in Singapore and got a new job offer from another company. My new company applied both EP & Spass for me in June, saying that MOM will decide which visa would be given. Soon the company found that they became on the watchlist, so now I've been waiting for the result for past 3 months and still no update from my company. I'm constantly checking my visa status online and until yesterday it said "employment pass - pending." Today I found the status changed to "Spass - Withdrawn"

Does anybody have the similar experience with me? I think there's no meaning for the company to withdraw my spass apply since anyway they should not have spass quota anymore as being on watchlist.

I'm also curious that if there is any case that anyone was totally rejected and couldn't get EP visa because the company is watchlisted.
How do you know this company is on watch list ?

Secondly, try another employer, if the company is being watched.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 06 Sep 2017 1:17 pm

On a watchlist for what exactly? There are lots of lists. Anyway, by withdrawing your application, it allows you to persue other employers unimpeded. If they were on a watchlist for Visa violations, then they did the right thing by withdrawing their application. I shouldn't continue to worry about that employer, but make haste trying to find another.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

fwnz1278

Post by fwnz1278 » Wed, 06 Sep 2017 4:04 pm

It's on watchlist for unfair employment practice. Spass is withdrawn but I think the company is still applying for EP.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 06 Sep 2017 4:51 pm

fwnz1278 wrote:It's on watchlist for unfair employment practice. Spass is withdrawn but I think the company is still applying for EP.
If the company applied for both, the EP is tested first (the EP application has box to be selected if the employer/potential would like to try for an S pass if the EP is unsuccessful). If the employer makes an application for an EP and does NOT select that box, if you fail to get an EP you cannot apply again for the S pass.

Therefore, your application for EP was rejected and you were vetted for the S pass. Sadly, it would seem that the company has had previous run-ins with MOM for cheating with S passes is my guess. I'd say it's time to look for another company before your SVP runs out.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers