Singapore Expats

Rentals with "negotiable" price tags

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
cattleherder

Rentals with "negotiable" price tags

Post by cattleherder » Thu, 31 Aug 2017 4:36 am

My wife and I are a couple of days before arriving in Singapore, and we're starting to browse the apartments on a big website that this forum decides shall not be named (no idea why). I see many listings with a price marked as negotiable.

Some of them seem to be hanging there for a while. I see one listing where the agent mentioned S$2,100 in the description, and it's S$2,000 in the price field.

Just how much can be shaved off? Is 10% a reasonable expectation or it normally goes by S$100 per 2 months of being posted and only if they like you?

Search By

x9200

Re: Rentals with "negotiable" price tags

Post by x9200 » Thu, 31 Aug 2017 7:14 am

cattleherder wrote:My wife and I are a couple of days before arriving in Singapore, and we're starting to browse the apartments on a big website that this forum decides shall not be named (no idea why). I see many listings with a price marked as negotiable.

Some of them seem to be hanging there for a while. I see one listing where the agent mentioned S$2,100 in the description, and it's S$2,000 in the price field.

Just how much can be shaved off? Is 10% a reasonable expectation or it normally goes by S$100 per 2 months of being posted and only if they like you?
How long it hangs posted matters close to nothing because in Singapore there is this whole bunch of "kiasu" landlords who cares little. It doesn't matter how much they lose waiting, it only matters they rent for the price they think is right. This also may indicate a difficult landlord so while I am not saying, avoid such listings, I would say, be extra cautious.
10% down should not be a problem dependent on the whole package (other things one asks for).

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 31 Aug 2017 11:53 am

Knowledge is power - use the link below, it gives you an idea of recent rental contracts.

https://www.ura.gov.sg/realEstateIIWeb/ ... rch.action

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 31 Aug 2017 12:21 pm

cattleherder wrote:we're starting to browse the apartments on a big website that this forum decides shall not be named (no idea why).
This is a real estate supported website. The owners prefer not to give the competitors free advertising. As a moderator, I appreciate that we have one of the freest exchanges of ideas you will find on any Singapore website. Virtually nothing is verboten, virtually nothing is banned... except advertising... and other real estate companies.

I've been a moderator on this board since 2004. The latitude we have been given is amazing. The topics that have been covered are broad. At times, I have thought we would be whacked by the gahmen for some pretty outrageous views, and I can think of no instances where topics were deleted.

Ellmeg

Post by Ellmeg » Thu, 31 Aug 2017 8:21 pm

Hi!

We are 4 weeks ahead of you so I can share our experience :)

1) The rental adds you see on the market are not a fully accurate reflection of what is available. Some.are outdated, will have the wrong photos etc
2) Often they are placed by agents and you will see more than one add for same property, sometimes at different price. This is the agent trying to gain customers.
3) Sometimes agents post fake adds. When you call they say "So sorry - that one gone but another one (typically less good and/or more expensive) is available"
4) Yes your can negotiate and you can also request stuff to be done. Obviously more you ask the less you negotiate. Example we asked for ceiling fans and electrical awning to be installed - if landlord says yes then they will likely not want to negotiate rental price too.
5) If you go via an agent, the agent has absolutely no interest to get you the lowest deal as they are paid on commission. But they have an interest to close the deal or they don't get paid. So tell them exactly what you want and get them to do the negotiations

:)

Happy landing!

E

cattleherder

Post by cattleherder » Thu, 31 Aug 2017 11:56 pm

Thank you, everyone - especially Ellmeg for the useful tips!

StrongEagle, really no offence intended. If the real estate agency is big enough, I'd even be happy to engage.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 01 Sep 2017 4:26 am

cattleherder wrote:Thank you, everyone - especially Ellmeg for the useful tips!

StrongEagle, really no offence intended. If the real estate agency is big enough, I'd even be happy to engage.
No worries... no offense taken. Good luck on your hunt.

FWIW, we preferred a semi-D for living, and were fortunate to know a couple of folks who also lived in the same. We were able to find a great place at a great price, all by word of mouth. Neighbors know neighbors who know neighbors who are getting ready to move kind of thing.

When we found our place, we convinced the landlord, who was quite reasonable, that he would incur no repair costs because we would take it as is (we did paint), he would have no agent costs, and no open months with no rent. All factored in, it meant a pretty good discount from what he was asking.

The catch, of course, is being here, and knowing folks is the basic condition for finding such deals.