Singapore Expats

New Visa Rules

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
thailen

New Visa Rules

Post by thailen » Sun, 27 Aug 2017 2:01 pm

I initially thought Americans could automatically get a 90 day visa on entering Singapore. I since learned the 90 days has been reduced to 30 days. Is this true and if so, how can I get it extended?

x9200

Re: New Visa Rules

Post by x9200 » Sun, 27 Aug 2017 3:47 pm

thailen wrote:I initially thought Americans could automatically get a 90 day visa on entering Singapore. I since learned the 90 days has been reduced to 30 days. Is this true and if so, how can I get it extended?
You got this 30days on your first entrance to Singapore or you crossed the boarder some more time within half a year or so?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 27 Aug 2017 4:10 pm

thailen wrote:I initially thought Americans could automatically get a 90 day visa on entering Singapore. I since learned the 90 days has been reduced to 30 days. Is this true and if so, how can I get it extended?
Where did you learn this?

thailen

Post by thailen » Sun, 27 Aug 2017 8:34 pm

I have never been to Singapore. I'm going on October 3rd. When I researched the entry requirements, etc . about 6 months ago, I was told Americans(together with other Western countries) could visit for 90 days without a visa. But a friend just said that changed a couple of months ago and the visit time is now 30 days. Which is true?

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Mon, 28 Aug 2017 9:58 am

That was (is?) the case, but it wasn't all western countries. For example NZ travellers would get 30 days while those from Australia would get 90. Usually. It is up to the guy that stamps your passport.

I wasn't aware that this had changed.

Perhaps the US is less popular now? 8-)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 28 Aug 2017 11:57 am

bgd wrote:That was (is?) the case, but it wasn't all western countries. For example NZ travellers would get 30 days while those from Australia would get 90. Usually. It is up to the guy that stamps your passport.

I wasn't aware that this had changed.

Perhaps the US is less popular now? 8-)
https://www.mfa.gov.sg/content/mfa/over ... sport.html

USA Passport Holders

United States of America passport holders do not require a visa to visit Singapore for business or for social visit purposes. However, visitors must ensure that they meet or possess the following entry requirements:-

The US passport should be valid at least six months beyond the last day of intended stay in Singapore;

Valid entry visa to the next destination (if required);
Confirmed onward / return air ticket; and
Sufficient funds for the period of stay in Singapore.

All holders of non-regular Travel Documents must consult the Consulate on visa requirements to visit Singapore.

The period of stay permitted is at the discretion of the Immigration Officer upon arrival at the Singapore Changi Airport. It is normally between 14 to 30 days. Regardless of the length of stay granted, visitors may request for an extension of stay by applying in person at the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority before the expiry of the visa granted

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by brian_singapore » Mon, 28 Aug 2017 1:04 pm

I don't know for US passports specifically but for my 2 western passports, it's been 30 days since 4 years ago when I started travelling to Singapore.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Mon, 28 Aug 2017 3:04 pm

My daughter, on a UK passport, was getting 90 days each time she came in. This was about a year back.

My cousin on a NZ passport would always get 30 days while her husband travelling on an Australian passport would get 90 days. They will be in town for the GP so I'll check whether it's still the case.