Singapore Expats

From S Pass to E Pass

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Bernie0820

From S Pass to E Pass

Post by Bernie0820 » Sun, 20 Aug 2017 12:48 pm

Hello everyone!
I have been asking my employer if I could upgrade my S Pass to E Pass since I am qualified. They keep saying I should wait for the expiration of my S Pass before I can apply. But if they don't express the intent of upgrade, I would just receive an approval for renewal (which already happened). I know that MOM will decide but I am unsure if I was applied for an E-pass or just for renewal.
Can I just apply on my own?
Many thanks.

tanvinz

Re: From S Pass to E Pass

Post by tanvinz » Sun, 20 Aug 2017 5:19 pm

No, you can't apply for work pass on your own. There should always be a company sponsoring it for you.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 20 Aug 2017 6:03 pm

tanvinz wrote:No, you can't apply for work pass on your own. There should always be a company sponsoring it for you.
Sponsor isn't the right word. Per se

You work for an employer and they do everything related to Mom because you work for the employer. They get you the relevant pass.

There isn't any sponsor relationship here.

john-davis

Post by john-davis » Sun, 20 Aug 2017 8:55 pm

hello,

I've been working in Singapore for 5years now, an Epass holder.
My company is like an agency which supplying manpower in different construction firm in Singapore.
My basic salary is 4500sgd, but with this basic, i need to work Monday-Friday, 8am-11pm (14hrs/day),
not entitled with annual leave and sick leave coz they said they included it in my basic salary.
They provide 50sgd for medical expenses every month only if you apply for MC (sick leave).
Ever since I started working in this company I've never earned a salary higher than 3000sgd, coz the office or company that they have assigned me to work with are not requiring me to stay late or do overtime. Meaning to say my work is per hour basis and could be manageable if they require me to stay and follow the working hours base on the contract.
Now they assigned me in a headoffice of a construction firm which has regular working hours, 5days a week, which means I'm earning a salary even less than the basic of a Spass holder.

Im planning to leave and move to other company but im worried about the Pass Approval from MOM if ever i apply for Spass from Epass.
I wonder if its possible that MOM will approve, if i ask for a salary lower than my previous basic.? Pls advise. thank you...

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 20 Aug 2017 9:35 pm

john-davis wrote:hello,

I've been working in Singapore for 5years now, an Epass holder.
My company is like an agency which supplying manpower in different construction firm in Singapore.
My basic salary is 4500sgd, but with this basic, i need to work Monday-Friday, 8am-11pm (14hrs/day),
not entitled with annual leave and sick leave coz they said they included it in my basic salary.
They provide 50sgd for medical expenses every month only if you apply for MC (sick leave).
Ever since I started working in this company I've never earned a salary higher than 3000sgd, coz the office or company that they have assigned me to work with are not requiring me to stay late or do overtime. Meaning to say my work is per hour basis and could be manageable if they require me to stay and follow the working hours base on the contract.
Now they assigned me in a headoffice of a construction firm which has regular working hours, 5days a week, which means I'm earning a salary even less than the basic of a Spass holder.

Im planning to leave and move to other company but im worried about the Pass Approval from MOM if ever i apply for Spass from Epass.
I wonder if its possible that MOM will approve, if i ask for a salary lower than my previous basic.? Pls advise. thank you...
Which country are you from?

Just curious.

If you move jobs with higher pay there's always a risk of pass rejection.

I wouldn't move for a pay cut

SMS others may weigh in with their thoughts.

Good luck.

PS is it in writing about this no sick leave and no annual leave?

That's serious violation of Mom laws.

So your declared basic is 4500 but they pay you 3000 ?

In box me if you need some advice

lambemusuwek

Post by lambemusuwek » Thu, 24 Aug 2017 6:58 pm

john-davis wrote:My basic salary is 4500sgd, but with this basic, i need to work Monday-Friday, 8am-11pm (14hrs/day), not entitled with annual leave and sick leave coz they said they included it in my basic salary.
WOW.... are you comfortable with your work? you mean ur basic is 4.5k but take home pay is 3k?
14hrs/day is like torture to me.

Did they specifically mentioned the work hours and annual leave entitlement in your contract when you sign your job first time?
john-davis wrote:I wonder if its possible that MOM will approve, if i ask for a salary lower than my previous basic.? Pls advise. thank you...
I think even if your salary higher than your prev basic, there's still a chance of getting rejected like mine. Many factors like the company you're in, the quota (if still qualify for SPass), your profile, and small little thing like mistake in the form.