Singapore Expats

Pulling my hair off

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Venus 2

Pulling my hair off

Post by Venus 2 » Fri, 24 Jun 2005 1:10 pm

I can't stop pulling my hair off. When I am feeling understressed, nervous, upset and even when I am thinking, just can't stop it. Try to wear a cap... no go.

Has anyone ever had this kind of problem and how do/did you handle it ?

Post by Guest » Fri, 24 Jun 2005 1:12 pm

Cut off all the hair. :idea:

Venus 2

Post by Venus 2 » Fri, 24 Jun 2005 1:18 pm

Did it fix your problem after you shaved your head bald? Guest

Post by Guest » Fri, 24 Jun 2005 2:10 pm

Go jogging! You will feel more refresh after some exercises. And you will sleep better as well after burning off the extra calories.

stefania
Chatter
Chatter

Post by stefania » Fri, 24 Jun 2005 3:04 pm

Some people think this is funny judging by the nonsense replies. It is quite habitual really and can get psychological because i had a friend who pulled most of her hair out and she's only 25.

What you gotta do is perhaps tie your hair up, clip back all the stray hairs. Come up with a different hairstyle, try anything that'll make you pick less hairs or none at all. Try to think of other things to do instead and be conscious of the damage you're doing to yourself. Better yet, see a doctor.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Bubbles » Fri, 24 Jun 2005 9:08 pm

Perhaps the first few replies were trying to keep it light as they know this is a serious problem.

Venus you should really see a doctor as this has it's roots...excuse pun...in psychological problems. It would be wrong of me to ask you if there is anything bad or has been anything bad going on in your life. Don't answer here but I think perhaps there may have been, or are you just very down?

Whatever, you must get help soon as this sort of repeated behaviour could damage the shafts of your hair and cause permanent hair loss which would make you feel even worse.

Good luck to you.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Global Citizen » Fri, 24 Jun 2005 9:09 pm

Venus, if you could get to the root of the problem (pun unintended) you may be able to eliminate the symptoms. Different people react differently to stressful situations and you're definitely not alone in this.

Maybe next time, you're under some stress, try going for a walk around the block to work the stress out of your system and you're less likely to be pulling out your hair in public or try doing something that will distract you and take your mind to another place until you feel calmer. I agree with Stefania that you should definitely consult a doctor.

Good Luck.

Post by Guest » Sun, 26 Jun 2005 6:55 pm

It is a very serious psychological problem and I think you need some help. Go and seek some help from someone trained in these matters.

Good Luck.