Singapore Expats

Childcare advice please

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
abks

Childcare advice please

Post by abks » Tue, 18 Apr 2017 7:14 am

Hi all,

This is my first post here, so please forgive me if it's in the wrong place :)

My family and I are due to move over to Singapore next month from Australia and I'm after some childcare advice for my 2.5 year old. Here in Australia I had been lucky enough to negotiate a 4 day work week with my employer - working 2 days a week from home, so my daughter is currently attending daycare the other 2 days. However, both my husband and I will be working full time in Singapore, so will need to organise childcare for our little one.

I like the idea of daycare as I think it is a great learning and social environment for kids and my daughter currently loves it. I have also heard that in Singapore, many people employ nannies who can look after the kids during the day. I am not entirely comfortable with that idea though as I don't trust just anyone to watch my child. However, I would not like her to attend daycare for 5 full days. I think that would be too much for her. Would it be crazy for me to think about hiring a nanny for a couple of days a week, and enrolling her in daycare for the remaining, so she gets the best of both worlds? I'm hoping I can work from home one day a week, but will have to check that with my employer, so ideally she would only need care 4 days a week.

Additionally are daycare centres pretty easy to get in? Are there often long waiting lists? Does anybody have any advice or experience using any either a nanny or a daycare centre? Sorry for the long post, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Re: Childcare advice please

Post by bro75 » Tue, 18 Apr 2017 8:30 am

I am not sure about how easy it would be to get into full-day day care but an additional option for you would be to hire a maid and enroll your child in a playgroup which runs for about 2-3 hours a day. Playgroups schedules follow regular school schedules.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 18 Apr 2017 9:46 am

Are both parents going to be working? If so I recommend a live in maid. It's the only economic solution. You can add on playgroups and casual day care and early learning but you need the maid for pick up /drop off etc.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Sia White

Post by Sia White » Mon, 19 Jun 2017 4:48 pm

I hired a maid when I started work again. It is not easy for the kid.My son was stubborn and doesn`t want to follow the maid`s recomendations but eventually, he adapt. So don`t worry too much, children are tougher than they look.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 21 Jun 2017 3:06 pm

Was that in Bulgaria where all of your posts are coming from? - Moderator
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Sia White

Post by Sia White » Thu, 29 Jun 2017 4:22 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Was that in Bulgaria where all of your posts are coming from? - Moderator
Op, soorry, I always forget to turn off the VPN

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 30 Jun 2017 12:09 am

Sia White wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Was that in Bulgaria where all of your posts are coming from? - Moderator
Op, soorry, I always forget to turn off the VPN
VPN ? Scared of Singapore internet monitors ?

Oh ho...

kendrawph

Post by kendrawph » Sun, 20 Aug 2017 5:09 pm

Hello.. For some preschool or daycare, it may take up to 1 year to register to be in the waiting list. For my child, we are pretty blessed. We managed to find one near our home and it still has some vacancies just before year starts. :) You can try little footprints.
Live Life To The Fullest