Singapore Expats

Foreigner (Indian) seeking IT Job/Business Opportunity in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Re: Foreigner (Indian) seeking IT Job/Business Opportunity in Singapore

Post by brian_singapore » Mon, 31 Jul 2017 11:11 pm

In general, you need to be in Singapore if you want to find a job here.

fmjohn

Post by fmjohn » Tue, 01 Aug 2017 2:08 pm

Thanks brian_singapore.
If I have to be there, what are different options possible? (legal ones) I mean, type of visas...I do not have any relatives who could sponsor me to stay there for a longer time....
There are some friends/ex-colleagues, I am not sure as how much and what kind of support they can provide me.
Actually, financially, I am fine to come over, stay on my own for sometime to search for jobs...but, not sure of type of visas, sponsorships etc....
Reg. visas, what I know is only tourist visa and it has a max. time of 30 days....I think this duration would not be sufficient to get a job for senior categories (23+ yr experienced profile). We will need atleast 4-6 months to explore and land in a job!
Moreover, I am not sure whether it's possible to get a job for sure...Will there be age factor considered? (45 yr old)

Kindly suggest some options.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 01 Aug 2017 3:17 pm

I think a tourist visa is your only option. You can look for work on a tourist visa, but as you correctly point out, 30 days isn't long. Plan for several trips and arrange interviews before you arrive. Don't go down the visa run approach, you will quickly find yourself on a flight home with little chance of getting back in for some time.

Since you started this thread the job market has got worse, good luck finding something here.

fmjohn

Post by fmjohn » Tue, 01 Aug 2017 8:15 pm

Actually, I am ready to come on tourist visa when interviews are lined up...unfortunately, no one responds to the applications (guess it's because of foreign address), hence not getting any interview calls at all (though I see several jobs are exactly suiting my profile/responsibilities).

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 01 Aug 2017 9:07 pm

fmjohn wrote:Actually, I am ready to come on tourist visa when interviews are lined up...unfortunately, no one responds to the applications (guess it's because of foreign address), hence not getting any interview calls at all (though I see several jobs are exactly suiting my profile/responsibilities).
It's not only your foreign address, although that's definitely a part of it.

IT body shoppers are getting hammered by MoM, which has finally realized the errors of its ways in allowing cheap contractors to take over positions that should be filled by permanent employees.

"IT" covers a rather broad spectrum of jobs and skills... and... all the services end of IT is moving away from Singapore, not into it.

fmjohn

Post by fmjohn » Thu, 03 Aug 2017 4:54 pm

Yes SE, I understand! Heard from my friend/classmate who is a Citizen over there....

BTW, looks like, PEP (Personalized Employment Pass) rules are changed and minimum previous pay is S$18000?
Is this really reasonable or possible for anyone? (may be people in West earn this much?) Or will there be any relaxation possible?
It's really hard to reach this in India (unless one is a CEO, MD....top positions)

I am looking at PEP option as well since I am in Senior Mgr position having good credentials (qualification + experience + certifications) with decent pay in India.

Kindly shed some light on this.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 03 Aug 2017 10:20 pm

You have roundabout answered your own question about minimum PEP salary qualifications.

Getting paid S$100 per hour (180 hour work month, 45 hours per week) is not uncommon for middle to senior managers in "western" countries. Senior techs and scientists can also earn this kind of money.

OTOH, it is very uncommon to see this kind of salary in many developing countries, especially those in Asia. Do you get the idea that the PEP salary requirements are an easy and convenient way to automatically eliminate a large swatch of the population from applying?

So, the salary requirement is a gate... make enough, you get in. I can't see any reason why they would change their gate just because you need them to.

fmjohn

Post by fmjohn » Sat, 05 Aug 2017 1:35 am

hmmm...ok!
Thanks for your time SE, for clarifying.