Singapore Expats

Getting Singapore PR back after Surrendering

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
sam01

Getting Singapore PR back after Surrendering

Post by sam01 » Tue, 01 Aug 2017 2:59 am

Hey Guys, I have a bit of a unique case.

So I am a Canadian Citizen and at the age of 14, I moved to Singapore with my mom who got a job there. She got her PR and so did I. I continued studying in Singapore till I was 18. At that age, I wasn't open to the idea of serving a foreign army. So I surrendered my Singapore PR and returned to Canada to pursue by Undergrad studies.

My mom, however, continued working in Singapore and eventually became a Singapore Citizen.

I am 29 years old now and my mom is 59 years old. Is there a way for me to get Singapore PR so that I can go back to Singapore and stay with my mom.

I am even willing to serve 2 years in the army if required.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Getting Singapore PR back after Surrendering

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 01 Aug 2017 9:02 am

sam01 wrote:Hey Guys, I have a bit of a unique case.

So I am a Canadian Citizen and at the age of 14, I moved to Singapore with my mom who got a job there. She got her PR and so did I. I continued studying in Singapore till I was 18. At that age, I wasn't open to the idea of serving a foreign army. So I surrendered my Singapore PR and returned to Canada to pursue by Undergrad studies.

My mom, however, continued working in Singapore and eventually became a Singapore Citizen.

I am 29 years old now and my mom is 59 years old. Is there a way for me to get Singapore PR so that I can go back to Singapore and stay with my mom.

Do you have an outstanding NS obligation? If you were first generation PR (hard to tell) probably not. Your first hurdle is getting a job back here - that gets you an EP which means you can stay.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sam01

Post by sam01 » Tue, 01 Aug 2017 9:49 am

No I don't have any outstanding NS obligation. In fact, I have visited Singapore several times after surrendering my PR and I did not have any issues.

If lets say I get a job and EP. How long before I qualify for PR again?

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Tue, 01 Aug 2017 11:14 am

Any EP holder can apply for PR under the PTS scheme after about 6 months of employment. Whether the application will be approved is another question entirely. For your case, you were a PR who renounced shortly before reaching NS age. There was a statement from an official some time ago that for those PRs who renounced their PR before reaching NS age will face hurdles when applying for student pass, EP or PR in the future. That could be a hurdle that you will face if ever you decide to settle again in Singapore. See below:
http://www.asiaone.com/singapore/parlia ... study-here

Based on your age, you renounced quite some time ago, I do not know if these restrictions will apply to you.

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bcheng74 » Tue, 01 Aug 2017 11:19 am

PNGMK wrote:

Do you have an outstanding NS obligation? If you were first generation PR (hard to tell) probably not. Your first hurdle is getting a job back here - that gets you an EP which means you can stay.
He got his PR before age 18 so obviously he is not first generation PR. He surrendered his PR right before he was due for NS. This is a very negative point for him to get EP now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bcheng74 » Tue, 01 Aug 2017 11:20 am

sam01 wrote:No I don't have any outstanding NS obligation. In fact, I have visited Singapore several times after surrendering my PR and I did not have any issues.

If lets say I get a job and EP. How long before I qualify for PR again?
You are eligible to apply for PR on the first minute you get your EP.

sam01

Post by sam01 » Tue, 01 Aug 2017 11:58 am

I renounced my Singapore PR in 2005. This announcement by the government official was made in 2014. I hope it doesnt affect me.

What is a good website for foreigners to look for jobs in Singapore?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 01 Aug 2017 12:03 pm

sam01 wrote:I renounced my Singapore PR in 2005. This announcement by the government official was made in 2014. I hope it doesnt affect me.

1. haaaahaaaahaaah bwaaahaahaaa (ok I was a bit short on explanation - everything can be retroactive in Singapore).

2. haaa haah haaaa. (ok - I was a bit short on explanation - the job market is stuffed here. Use LinkedIn to search for jobs in Singapore in your specialty to get a feel for the market).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bcheng74 » Tue, 01 Aug 2017 1:13 pm

sam01 wrote:I renounced my Singapore PR in 2005. This announcement by the government official was made in 2014. I hope it doesnt affect me.

Again you can think your own way. However the government has final say.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 01 Aug 2017 1:34 pm

Gold. Not to rain on your parade, I am sure the enforcement will be retrospective, when it suits the Govt.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 01 Aug 2017 3:30 pm

Fingers crossed for you that you would get your PR back :D

It would make great reading for many a keyboard warrior on how you dodged NS and then came back and the Govt just give you PR again. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

A funny scenario though , you give up PR and your Mum goes all the way to Citizen, did you not envisage this predicament you are now in?

What are your redeeming qualities for the Govt to utilise?
Life is short, paddle harder!!

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bcheng74 » Tue, 01 Aug 2017 3:36 pm

Barnsley wrote:

It would make great reading for many a keyboard warrior on how you dodged NS and then came back and the Govt just give you PR again. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

A funny scenario though , you give up PR and your Mum goes all the way to Citizen, did you not envisage this predicament you are now in?

Well I really wonder why the Govt approved his mom's citizen application in such scenario. I understand that normally even a REP renewal will be impacted if your PR son dodges NS.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 01 Aug 2017 3:43 pm

bcheng74 wrote:
Barnsley wrote:

Well I really wonder why the Govt approved his mom's citizen application in such scenario. I understand that normally even a REP renewal will be impacted if your PR son dodges NS.
Agreed!.

This is why there are no hard and fast rules for anything here :mrgreen:

Keeps everyone on their toes , just as you think you have some solid understanding , some information comes to hand like this , which would appear to contradict the previous thinking. :mrgreen:
Life is short, paddle harder!!

sam01

Post by sam01 » Tue, 01 Aug 2017 7:49 pm

I renounced my Singapore PR after living there for 3.5 years. At that time, we had no intentions of living in Singapore for good. Hence, it made no sense for me to serve a foreign army for 2.5 years and then return to Canada. Not that I have anything against the Singapore army. None of my other Expat Canadian and American friends served NS.

I always wanted to return to Canada as all my friends & family are here.

My mom decided to stay in Singapore for a few more months and then return home to Canada. However, she quickly rose up the corporate ladder in the company that she worked for in Singapore. Hence, she decided to move there permanently by acquiring Singapore citizenship many years later.

So to answer your question, no I absolutely did not "envisage this predicament".

I myself now run a well established E Commerce company. Hence, I don't really need a "Job". I can work from anywhere in the world and still be able to sustain myself. In fact, I spend half the year travelling Europe and Asia while running my E Commerce company.

Being a Canadian Citizen, I am allowed up to 90 days each time I visit Singapore. So if I wanted to live with my Mom in Singapore, I guess I just have to make a quick 1 day trip to Malaysia every 90 days and return to Singapore for another 90 days ;) Doesn't seem like a bad lifestyle to me! I travel a lot anyways.

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bcheng74 » Tue, 01 Aug 2017 8:07 pm

sam01 wrote:I renounced my Singapore PR after living there for 3.5 years. At that time, we had no intentions of living in Singapore for good. Hence, it made no sense for me to serve a foreign army for 2.5 years and then return to Canada. Not that I have anything against the Singapore army. None of my other Expat Canadian and American friends served NS.

I always wanted to return to Canada as all my friends & family are here.

My mom decided to stay in Singapore for a few more months and then return home to Canada. However, she quickly rose up the corporate ladder in the company that she worked for in Singapore. Hence, she decided to move there permanently by acquiring Singapore citizenship many years later.

So to answer your question, no I absolutely did not "envisage this predicament".

I myself now run a well established E Commerce company. Hence, I don't really need a "Job". I can work from anywhere in the world and still be able to sustain myself. In fact, I spend half the year travelling Europe and Asia while running my E Commerce company.

Being a Canadian Citizen, I am allowed up to 90 days each time I visit Singapore. So if I wanted to live with my Mom in Singapore, I guess I just have to make a quick 1 day trip to Malaysia every 90 days and return to Singapore for another 90 days ;) Doesn't seem like a bad lifestyle to me! I travel a lot anyways.

You need a job in Singapore to apply for PR on your own merit. However your renunciation of PR without serving NS will make it impossible for you to get an EP, let alone PR. Your idea of renewing 90 days visa doesn't work in long term as ICA will reject you.

Good luck to u.