Singapore Expats

LHY spits the dummy (younger son of LKY)

Compilation of interesting and useful articles for Singapore Expats readers.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: LHY spits the dummy (younger son of LKY)

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 05 Jul 2017 6:57 am

Thanks. I see GCT has made a rather nasty attack on all and sundry. The gahmen does seem to be swinging opinion back into LHL's court.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 05 Jul 2017 2:02 pm

Furthermore, Lee Kuan Yew’s own views about legacy and governance do not make it easy to come to a consensus about what to do with the house. On the one hand, we have on record his strong personal desire that the family home be demolished. It’s not hard to understand how determined two of his children, Lee Wei Ling and Lee Hsien Yang, are to fulfill their parents’ wishes.

But on the other, the system he built never allowed individual preferences to stand in the way of the public good, as interpreted by the government of the day.

Nowhere is this principle more apparent than in Lee’s land policies. Countless patriarchs’ plans for their property holdings have been dashed by Lee’s all-powerful land acquisition laws—freehold leases be damned. Countless others, who would have undoubtedly preferred their final resting places to be exactly that, have been dug up from their graves when the state decided their cemetery plots were needed for other purposes. If everyone else’s voice from the grave can be vetoed by the government, it’s not clear why Lee Kuan Yew’s should be the exception—especially when the government’s hardnosed, unsentimental approach to such matters is utterly in Lee’s own image.

By Singapore standards, therefore, it’s not necessarily sacrilegious for the government to consider the option of conserving Lee’s storied bungalow, no matter how firmly Lee would have opposed the idea. Part of the challenge of maturing our polity is to get used to the idea of operating by the rule of law, not the rule of Lee.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 05 Jul 2017 4:46 pm

ecureilx wrote:Furthermore, Lee Kuan Yew’s own views about legacy and governance do not make it easy to come to a consensus about what to do with the house. On the one hand, we have on record his strong personal desire that the family home be demolished. It’s not hard to understand how determined two of his children, Lee Wei Ling and Lee Hsien Yang, are to fulfill their parents’ wishes.

But on the other, the system he built never allowed individual preferences to stand in the way of the public good, as interpreted by the government of the day.

Nowhere is this principle more apparent than in Lee’s land policies. Countless patriarchs’ plans for their property holdings have been dashed by Lee’s all-powerful land acquisition laws—freehold leases be damned. Countless others, who would have undoubtedly preferred their final resting places to be exactly that, have been dug up from their graves when the state decided their cemetery plots were needed for other purposes. If everyone else’s voice from the grave can be vetoed by the government, it’s not clear why Lee Kuan Yew’s should be the exception—especially when the government’s hardnosed, unsentimental approach to such matters is utterly in Lee’s own image.

By Singapore standards, therefore, it’s not necessarily sacrilegious for the government to consider the option of conserving Lee’s storied bungalow, no matter how firmly Lee would have opposed the idea. Part of the challenge of maturing our polity is to get used to the idea of operating by the rule of law, not the rule of Lee.
Its only staying up due to the current Political climate.

Once that changes it will get demolished along with whatever else is left.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 05 Jul 2017 5:16 pm

A none PAP MP (Kuik Shiao-yin) finally focuses on the real issue; not the house but the abuse of office.

http://player.ooyala.com/static/v4/cand ... 23jCHsd0hx

"The powerful must be bound by the same rules.... as the less powerful are bound by.... parliament should only be involved with the accusations of abuse of power".

The house was never the issue to third parties observers...

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Tue, 18 Jul 2017 9:10 am

The problem with SG....... the lack of political awareness and education. That citizens are minions who are supposed to serve and subvert themselves to the The Almighty authority. When in actuality, the latter are being put in that position by the citizens, to serve the citizens. As with most mob / popular movement, things can garner steam fairly quickly when the dominoes start falling into place.

We need more of such speeches / education. What are the kids learning in schools???? Stair blankly at the country's flag daily, reciting the pledge and singing Majullah Singapura. And those cringe-worthy nationalistic songs "We are Singapore, Singapore , Singaporeans..........". Just like robots!

https://www.facebook.com/MrLimTean/vide ... 047068059/

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Tue, 18 Jul 2017 9:42 am

We increasingly live in a society, where everyday we have to suspend disbelief in order to make sense of our country. We were told that it is quite normal, justifiable to have a 30 % water hike. That our trains have to undergo delay because they have to test for signaling all day long. That we now need a reserved election otherwise our society is going to implode
~ Yeap, He makes Tan Cheng Bock a very sad man when He announced the next President must be a Malay. What about the prime ministership? SG already had many terms of Chinese prime ministers and why not a non-Chinese PM? Do not try to pull wool over peoples' eyes lah. We are really not as stupid as you think we are lah !

and I am reminded of the story of that little child who called out to his parents, "the Emperor has no clothes"...... Let us not allow the fog of propaganda by the PAP to cloud our judgement. I hope that one day, we will not be so gullible as to believe if the PAP were to tell us that the sky is purple and not blue.....and God forbid if really a national crisis were to happen and the stake of Singapore was at issue, what will happen? I will not even trust them with the life of my dog!"
1984 by George Orwell !

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 18 Jul 2017 11:04 am

Let's face it, there is a rather big difference in Singapore between the President (which, for all intents and purposes, is ceremonial in nature) especially since they have clipped the wings on the overseer of the national reserves (the President). Therefore they can rotate the presidency between the races to mollify the minorities (as if the minorities don't know what it is). The PM on the other hand runs the country with his minions in the PAP and because the PAP is basically the dominant Chinese party here, you aren't going to see a non-Chinese PM for quite a while unless the raging bull on the legal world manages to take over. However, I personally think Vivian would make a very good PM as he's well respected by all races. Shan is probably the most hated guy in the PAP because of his big mouth causing all sorts of problems with china when he start opening his mouth. He's brilliant, granted, but doesn't know when to shut up.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 18 Jul 2017 11:04 am

I wish George Yeo was still around!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Tue, 18 Jul 2017 11:46 am

Which Shan are you referring to? The opportunisty (as seen in the Lee saga) Shanmugam? However, Tharman Shanmugaratnam is favorably looked upon by the populace.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 20 Jul 2017 12:27 am

The former, Tharman is okay in my book.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Wed, 26 Jul 2017 2:18 am

We need more transparency and accountability in the system, not censorship. She is looking for answers here ..........

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 493&type=3

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 26 Jul 2017 7:17 am

earthfriendly wrote:We need more transparency and accountability in the system, not censorship. She is looking for answers here ..........

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 493&type=3

Go here.
https://www.whenthemaskscameoff.com/

This does not surprise me. The SGX/ASX tie up is of concern to many Aussies.

welshdownunder

Post by welshdownunder » Wed, 26 Jul 2017 12:34 pm

Delete
Last edited by welshdownunder on Tue, 26 Mar 2019 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 26 Jul 2017 3:21 pm

Without getting specific I have seen some underhanded dealings here. Friends have lost to better connected people as well. I am in the middle of putting together a start up and am convinced more and more not to do it in Singapore.