Singapore Expats

LTVP eligibility for same sex spouse

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Tusculum

LTVP eligibility for same sex spouse

Post by Tusculum » Mon, 24 Jul 2017 8:17 pm

I'm a New Zealand citizen with Australian residency in the process of negotiating a full time employment position in Singapore. Initial advice suggests that gaining a LTVP for my same sex male partner (an Australian citizen) is unlikely, despite our relationship status being formally recognised by documentation issued by the Australian Government (alternatively we could get married in NZ). Before considering next options - I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has been successful in gaining a LTVP in this situation?

Although cumbersome there is the option to leave every 90 days on a visitor visa, however does Immigration start to question repeat entries over time? Again thanks to anyone who has any useful insights.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: LTVP eligibility for same sex spouse

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 25 Jul 2017 12:47 pm

Tusculum wrote:I'm a New Zealand citizen with Australian residency in the process of negotiating a full time employment position in Singapore. Initial advice suggests that gaining a LTVP for my same sex male partner (an Australian citizen) is unlikely, despite our relationship status being formally recognised by documentation issued by the Australian Government (alternatively we could get married in NZ). Before considering next options - I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has been successful in gaining a LTVP in this situation?

Although cumbersome there is the option to leave every 90 days on a visitor visa, however does Immigration start to question repeat entries over time? Again thanks to anyone who has any useful insights.
Visa runs won't work. You may succeed getting a DP (dependant's pass) if you are married or have documentation from your HOME country. LTVP almost certainly is not the way forward.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 25 Jul 2017 12:52 pm

If you partnership is recognized/documented by Australia in writing and you company is willing to sponsor your partner it is possible to get a LTVP. You will not get a DP nor an LTVP+ however. It's not a guarantee that even with the above that you will be successful, but there have been instances in the past where this has been successful (granted more often with female same-sex unions than with males). But before you even start, ensure you have notorized documentation and an employer who is willing to sponsor (you cannot sponsor in this case). Good luck. You are going to need it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 25 Jul 2017 12:58 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Visa runs won't work. You may succeed getting a DP (dependant's pass) if you are married or have documentation from your HOME country. LTVP almost certainly is not the way forward.
Does Sg recognize same sex marriages (from abroad)? I would be surprised given the conservatism here, but maybe I've missed it?

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 25 Jul 2017 1:17 pm

bgd wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
Does Sg recognize same sex marriages (from abroad)? I would be surprised given the conservatism here, but maybe I've missed it?
Yes. It has happened. It's normally via a DP though, not a LTVP (as per your post above). The relationship is that of a married dependent. As you DID mention you need company sponsorship which is via DP (not an LTVP).

CSrob

Post by CSrob » Wed, 26 Jul 2017 2:37 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by CSrob on Sun, 03 Sep 2017 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 26 Jul 2017 3:18 pm

CSrob wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
Tusculum wrote:I'm a New Zealand citizen with Australian residency in the process of negotiating a full time employment position in Singapore. Initial advice suggests that gaining a LTVP for my same sex male partner (an Australian citizen) is unlikely, despite our relationship status being formally recognised by documentation issued by the Australian Government (alternatively we could get married in NZ). Before considering next options - I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has been successful in gaining a LTVP in this situation?

Why would visa runs not work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You might be ok two or three times , then it will be adios muchachos!!!

Had a friend turned away last month after doing a few.

Was given a choice , back to last departure point or back to home country by incoming immigration.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 26 Jul 2017 3:24 pm

CSrob wrote:
PNGMK wrote:

Why would visa runs not work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Data analytics. I don't know of anyone doing them successfully now unless you think a visa run is going back to Australia for a month and choosing a different location to go on to. An Aussie friend rotates MY, the PI and Thailand and Perth with Singapore every month or so. Uses different entry and exit points. Stays on the move with friends in different cities to save cost but it's not what you want I think. He's retired and just likes dipping his wick in different women in different places.

Expat214

Post by Expat214 » Thu, 15 Mar 2018 11:41 pm

Yes. It has happened. It's normally via a DP though, not a LTVP (as per your post above). The relationship is that of a married dependent. As you DID mention you need company sponsorship which is via DP (not an LTVP).
Does this happen as a matter of routine, or does one need to have special connections or a particularly high profile job to get a same-sex DP?

Just for context, I am a fairly senior executive at a medium-sized global marketing firm with a healthy salary and excellent educational credentials. My husband and I (married in the US) are living in Japan with a same-sex dependent visa.