Singapore Expats

PEP expiring before PR approved - what if I change employer after applying?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
peptopr

PEP expiring before PR approved - what if I change employer after applying?

Post by peptopr » Tue, 25 Jul 2017 2:57 pm

Hi guys,

There is a risk that my PEP will expire before my PR approval comes through. While PR approval typically takes 4-6 months after application, my PEP expires about 5 1/4 months after I applied. Unfortunately the expensive immigration company didn't notify me about this but shame on me for not reading that section in greater detail, on the ICA website.

So, there is a small, but still meaningful risk that I might get unlucky and the application isn't cleared in time.

As a PEP can't be renewed, what should the procedure be; my PEP expires towards the end of September.

Does the 30 day grace period still allow for my PR to be approved regardless of the PEP being expired? Or do I need to ask my employer to apply for EP for me. One issue is my employer knows I'm starting my own business after getting PR so is unwilling to process PR for me. Luckily there's a company interested in hiring me as full time, getting EP for me, and then after I'm ready to start my business scaling my role down to a consultant (after I'm PR).

So, if:
1. I am forced to switch from PEP to EP (due to the expiry of my PEP), while I wait for PR approval
2. I change employer

What do I need to notify ICA, and how do I notify them, about the changes?

Fingers crossed the application is accepted soon (4 month mark is in a few weeks), then the above questions solve themselves Smiley

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: PEP expiring before PR approved - what if I change employer after applying?

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 25 Jul 2017 5:59 pm

peptopr wrote:Hi guys,

There is a risk that my PEP will expire before my PR approval comes through. While PR approval typically takes 4-6 months after application, my PEP expires about 5 1/4 months after I applied. Unfortunately the expensive immigration company didn't notify me about this but shame on me for not reading that section in greater detail, on the ICA website.

So, there is a small, but still meaningful risk that I might get unlucky and the application isn't cleared in time.

As a PEP can't be renewed, what should the procedure be; my PEP expires towards the end of September.

Does the 30 day grace period still allow for my PR to be approved regardless of the PEP being expired? Or do I need to ask my employer to apply for EP for me. One issue is my employer knows I'm starting my own business after getting PR so is unwilling to process PR for me. Luckily there's a company interested in hiring me as full time, getting EP for me, and then after I'm ready to start my business scaling my role down to a consultant (after I'm PR).

So, if:
1. I am forced to switch from PEP to EP (due to the expiry of my PEP), while I wait for PR approval
2. I change employer

What do I need to notify ICA, and how do I notify them, about the changes?

Fingers crossed the application is accepted soon (4 month mark is in a few weeks), then the above questions solve themselves Smiley
1. Where are you from? How long are you working in SG?
2. PR applications can take anytime between 6 months - 24 months. Who gave you the guarantee that it will be done in 4-5 months?
3. Best way is to move to EP from PEP and them update ICA.. You can drop them an email or submit the documents in person
4. Switching employers when the PR is in progress, in most of the cases would not seem positive.

Also not sure on what made you use a consultancy to apply for PR. The form and details requested are considered to be very simple.

peptopr

Post by peptopr » Tue, 25 Jul 2017 7:42 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
peptopr wrote:
2. PR applications can take anytime between 6 months - 24 months. Who gave you the guarantee that it will be done in 4-5 months?
3. Best way is to move to EP from PEP and them update ICA.. You can drop them an email or submit the documents in person
4. Switching employers when the PR is in progress, in most of the cases would not seem positive.

Also not sure on what made you use a consultancy to apply for PR. The form and details requested are considered to be very simple.
1. I am from Australia, and have been working in Singapore for 9 years.
2. The ICA website says that applications take 4-6 months, and sometimes longer
3. Thanks!
4. The PEP is a scheme for people to be able to easily switch employers (workers similar to me, who complete shorter stint projects then get hired to help with other businesses), so don't see why switching employers would be a negative

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 25 Jul 2017 9:34 pm

peptopr wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:
peptopr wrote:

1. I am from Australia, and have been working in Singapore for 9 years.
2. The ICA website says that applications take 4-6 months, and sometimes longer
3. Thanks!
4. The PEP is a scheme for people to be able to easily switch employers (workers similar to me, who complete shorter stint projects then get hired to help with other businesses), so don't see why switching employers would be a negative
what ICA says is a guideline. But have you been reading the forums recently? If yes, you will know how long it is taking for PR applications these days. Only for very few it is within 6 months.

Next, PEP gives the flexibility to change jobs, Yes. But what I understand is ICA would want to see how stable you are in a job, before they consider you for PR. If you are doing shorter stints, non continuous work history, job hopping it is surely considered negative.