Singapore Expats

Apps for calling overseas?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Re: Apps for calling overseas?

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 08 Nov 2014 4:29 pm

Finally chose Viber Out. Bought US$4.99 credit and call to India costs 2.2 US Cents per min. No connection fee. Call quality was pretty good.

Skype is cheaper about 1.5 US cents per min with a connection fee of 1.5US cents per call/per min not sure. But I thought I will try Viber Out 1st.

x9200

Re:

Post by x9200 » Fri, 21 Jul 2017 12:14 pm

x9200 wrote:I use skype also for the reason of having a physical phone number in the other country so I can be called by anybody from any standard phone.

I also have a skype phone integrated with a dect phone. When somebody calls me over skype it is like a normal call and can be received via any of the handsets (unfortunately not the other way around).

Having these two in place I am essentially a part of the other country telephone network what is completely transparent and all incoming calls ale like this other country local calls.
To warn possible Skype users.
After paying for a skype number for well over 10y it stopped working a few months back. The new owner of Skype, microsoft, communicated via their always competent staff they were aware of the problem with some accounts but couldn't tell when it was going to be fixed. After another month of waiting, paying for something that didn't work they agreed to provide refund - mind, as an act of courtesy. Bravo microsoft, so kind of you.
Also this month all my skype dect-phones stopped working under skype. Another improvement to serve me better. I am now phasing out all my services with them.
Apparently anything microsoft touches turns into s**t sooner or later. Fortunately, there are companies that provide similar services with responsive CSs and willingness to fix technical issues.

Condolences to this vast majority of the computer users that have to closely rely on microsoft in any shape, form and extent.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 21 Jul 2017 12:54 pm

^ - to add insult to injury the new Skype app is essentially unuseable for a bunch of reason but;

1. You can't easily find mute, speaker, video buttons.
2. You can't filter contacts by skype/available or even see what the contact type is.
3. It DOES do videocon ok tho.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 21 Jul 2017 10:24 pm

PNGMK wrote:^ - to add insult to injury the new Skype app is essentially unuseable for a bunch of reason but;

2. You can't filter contacts by skype/available or even see what the contact type is.
Microsoft has completely missed the boat. They think they are capturing the market that likes SnapChat and WhatsApp. In reality, they have destroyed their brand for the millions of business users around the world that _used_ to view Skype as an essential business tool for international communications.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 22 Jul 2017 7:58 am

they missed the point that unlike for their windows products they are not a true monopolist so the same level of arrogance is not going to work.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 22 Jul 2017 9:32 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
PNGMK wrote:^ - to add insult to injury the new Skype app is essentially unuseable for a bunch of reason but;

Microsoft has completely missed the boat. They think they are capturing the market that likes SnapChat and WhatsApp. In reality, they have destroyed their brand for the millions of business users around the world that _used_ to view Skype as an essential business tool for international communications.
They are busy bundling Skype for business with O 365 !!