Singapore Expats

I am 75 can I get a long term sposal visa?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: I am 75 can I get a long term sposal visa?

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 17 Jul 2017 7:54 am

Kleef wrote:I have had a thought, probably a silly one, but here goes. Does anybody think that I could get assistance and suggestions form the British Embassy here? I know that they can't influence the decisions but I am sure that they know people and possibly one of those people would be sympathetic and amenable?
The British "High Commission" can't do zilch.

And "knowing" doesn't work in Singapore, unlike other Asian countries.

I know you are older and wiser than me. My suggestion stands. Get your wife to fight it out for you.

PS, an anecdote: years ago, I had some problem with an application for something, that was related to a government agency. I applied 4 times and each time it was rejected. Out of frurstration, I reached out to a Social Club advisor of mine, who was in the same department of the government agency that vets my application.

We met, and he listened to my situation, went through the forms I had, and gave me very general advice.

Since I was hoping for more positive support from him, like for him to dig my application and tell me why I am being rejected.

His reply ? He is NOT allowed to look up the info, unless he is reviewing my case, and if he does othewise, he has to explain to the Data Security team and may lose his job.

Yes, Singapore Gov takes such issues very seriously.

There was a case of a doctor who was pulled up 2 years after he looked up his girl friend's medical record, and ended up being censured.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 17 Jul 2017 12:58 pm

1. I think if you persist and use your wife as a sponsor you will get an LTVP. I'm confused as to why that wasn't your first port of call. You can apply today right now online even while here on an SVP. Also see if you can extend your SVP.
2. I don't completely agree with Ecurilex on the Brit High Comm. While they can't influence the ICA they may have some ideas we have not thought of.
3. Failing that I think you need to consider both retiring to Thailand or the PI (the PI is much cheaper for a retirement visa than Thailand and the COL is much much lower).
4. Work wise I don't think you'll find a job in Singapore that will pay enough for a work permit unless you have a skill I don't know about.
5. If I see Madoff I'll shoot the bastard for you.

Regardless of the outcome please keep us informed and don't worry too much about the nay sayers here. A lot of us are in similar boats with mixed marriages and children of mixed citizenships and these decisions to make as we get older and ALL governments are making it harder due to the populism driven push against cross border movements.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Kleef

Post by Kleef » Mon, 17 Jul 2017 1:40 pm

Thank you for your sage advice, also all the others who have posted suggestions. On your suggestion of Thailand, I was there for nine years but you have to have 800,000 in the bank for three months before applying a retirement visa. There are ways round that if you pay about 30,000 baht to the right person. I needed the money - and thought that I could get a LTVP easily - Brrrrrrrrrr! Wrong! Second I applied for LTVPbut it was 'not approved' We are going to try again, and if not approved again, go to see my wife's MP. I have been told that if you are on appeal, you get an extension to you standard visa? You mentioned PI and COL - what are they? Took me a while to figure out LTVP :) - I can say with my friend in Oz for up to 12 months I think? On Madoff, I thought I was getting Alzheimer's because I can't remember the names of the hedge fund or the company involved where the investment was supposedly placed, that scared me, si I asked my ccardiologist, he said don't worry, that is a defensive mechanism of your brain, it will help to stop suicdal thoughts - Hmmm not sure about that! Anyway if you see him - shoot him . . . slowly!!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 17 Jul 2017 5:38 pm

Kleef wrote:Thank you for your sage advice, also all the others who have posted suggestions. On your suggestion of Thailand, I was there for nine years but you have to have 800,000 in the bank for three months before applying a retirement visa. There are ways round that if you pay about 30,000 baht to the right person.
Philippines is 40k US$ I recall, for Retirement visa, but you need to add in cost of relocation and all. I can give a spare room for stay but out in the boonies you may not like it at all :D add to it the near 15 to 20 degree temperature.
Kleef wrote:I needed the money - and thought that I could get a LTVP easily - Brrrrrrrrrr! Wrong! Second I applied for LTVPbut it was 'not approved' We are going to try again, and if not approved again, go to see my wife's MP.
+1
Kleef wrote: I have been told that if you are on appeal, you get an extension to you standard visa?
After appeal, go to ICA with your wife, let your wife do the talking and you can get the Extension.

Bring along a copy of the Marriage certificate, Just in case ;)
Kleef wrote:You mentioned PI and COL - what are they? Took me a while to figure out LTVP :)
PI - Philippines ;)
COL- Cost of Living.

Kleef

Post by Kleef » Mon, 17 Jul 2017 6:18 pm

The original 'not approved' was back in May. so we are going to make another application, then if it is 'not approved' we will go to the MP for an appeal. When you do the online application, there is nowhere to put that my wife has her own apartment and that I am fully covered for health insurance. I hope that that will count as a plus in the appeal - if needed? The 40K you mentioned is in what currency? Thanks for the offer of a room, but in the unlikely event we did go there, I want to be in 'civilization' if you know what I mean. But your offer was most kind and appreciated. This whole affair is making me sick and seriously worried, almost to the point of despair. If I only knew someone who could offer me a job, even an ethereal one, it would solve all problems :)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 17 Jul 2017 7:19 pm

Kleef wrote:. When you do the online application, there is nowhere to put that my wife has her own apartment and that I am fully covered for health insurance. I hope that that will count as a plus in the appeal - if needed? The 40K you mentioned is in what currency? Thanks for the offer of a room, but in the unlikely event we did go there, I want to be in 'civilization' if you know what I mean. But your offer was most kind and appreciated. This whole affair is making me sick and seriously worried, almost to the point of despair. If I only knew someone who could offer me a job, even an ethereal one, it would solve all problems :)
There's no option to describe your financial stuff online. Hence appeal and submit supporting documents.

Look up Philippines SRRV

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 17 Jul 2017 8:41 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Kleef wrote:. When you do the online application, there is nowhere to put that my wife has her own apartment and that I am fully covered for health insurance. I hope that that will count as a plus in the appeal - if needed? The 40K you mentioned is in what currency? Thanks for the offer of a room, but in the unlikely event we did go there, I want to be in 'civilization' if you know what I mean. But your offer was most kind and appreciated. This whole affair is making me sick and seriously worried, almost to the point of despair. If I only knew someone who could offer me a job, even an ethereal one, it would solve all problems :)
There's no option to describe your financial stuff online. Hence appeal and submit supporting documents.

Look up Philippines SRRV
I believe there is an even cheaper long term retirement visa for the PI which is around $10,000 (and indeed there is - see the link below). I have many friends who have moved to the PI to get away from the COL (cost of living) of Singapore and they all seem to settle in ok. This is our choice of last resort as well.

http://myphilippinelife.com/philippines ... visa-srrv/

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 17 Jul 2017 8:48 pm

There are older expats here in similar circumstances although I admit I don't know their visa status. They do seem to be able to live a low cost retirees life without too much stress. We often run into them via our church activities. One of them was someone famous (not sure who now) former personal surgeon - now deceased but an interesting character. He stayed at the Marriot (the one on Orchard near Tangs) and had legitimate Picasso's etc on his walls as well as a congressional medal of honor. He would show up at church and totter up the aisle to the very front where he would take a seat right in front of our pastor so he could be sure not to miss anything with a chest full of medals every Sunday Singapore needs these people for character and they need you. Persist and I wish you the best of luck.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 18 Jul 2017 12:08 am

Kleef wrote:If I only knew someone who could offer me a job, even an ethereal one, it would solve all problems :)
Bear in mind , its one thing to get offered a job , its another thing for Govt to approve a permit to do that job.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Sadness

Post by Sadness » Tue, 18 Jul 2017 4:49 pm

Can someone pls help me,
How do i join forums regarding depression?
thank you
I am new here dont know how this works

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 18 Jul 2017 4:50 pm

Sadness wrote:Can someone pls help me,
thank you
:o :shock: :o :shock: :o

:-k :-k :-k :-k :-k
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Sadness

Post by Sadness » Tue, 18 Jul 2017 4:53 pm

Barnsley wrote:
thank you
:o :shock: :o :shock: :o

:-k :-k :-k :-k :-k

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT IS THAT

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 18 Jul 2017 6:01 pm

That's a wonderful load of good info !!!

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 18 Jul 2017 7:00 pm

ecureilx wrote:
That's a wonderful load of good info !!!
It's a great blog with a lot of useful links to other blogs. He writes from a very sensible point of view as well.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 18 Jul 2017 7:02 pm

thank you

Create a new topic in general discussions. If you're severely depressed perhaps ring the SOS line in Singapore; Tel - 1800 221 4444‎