Singapore Expats

Assess our chances for SG citizenship

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Mintygreen

Post by Mintygreen » Fri, 07 Jul 2017 10:57 pm

Hi all, appreciate your help to assess our chance for Singapore citizenship application. Also, can my spouse apply for sg citizenship with me even though he has already submitted his PR application and it is pending for result?

Myself
Nationality: Malaysian Chinese
Status in SG: Singapore PR since May 2015
Annual income: 50k

Spouse
Nationality: Indian
Status in SG: Employment Pass P1 since Jun 2014 (PR application in process; pending for result)
Annual income: 100K

Thanks!

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Sat, 08 Jul 2017 12:46 am

Mintygreen wrote:Hi all, appreciate your help to assess our chance for Singapore citizenship application. Also, can my spouse apply for sg citizenship with me even though he has already submitted his PR application and it is pending for result?

Myself

Spouse
Status in SG: Employment Pass P1 since Jun 2014 (PR application in process; pending for result)

Thanks!
Maybe you rephrase it as your chance instead of our chance.

Yourself
Desired nationality, ethnicity, gender, of childbearing age. However, a bit too soon to apply as you've just crossed the 2 years of SPR.

Spouse
Nationality and race have not been the flavour of the month in ICA for a while now. Unfortunately you cannot include him in your SC application as he is not an SPR.

[A Singapore PR may apply for Singapore citizenship if he/she is above 21 years old, and has resided continuously in Singapore as a PR for at least 2 years at the time of citizenship application. The spouse must also be a Singapore PR for at least 2 years, and be married for 2 years or more.]

A few questions for you:
- you mentioned in your previous that you used to commute in and out of SG for work daily. How long have you been residing continuously in SG since then?
- how long have you been married?
- is his PR application on his own merit (i.e. PTS) or sponsored by you?

GSM8
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Assess our chances for SG citizenship

Post by GSM8 » Sat, 08 Jul 2017 9:12 am

Mintygreen wrote:Hi all, appreciate your help to assess our chance for Singapore citizenship application. Also, can my spouse apply for sg citizenship with me even though he has already submitted his PR application and it is pending for result?
Thanks!
You can submit a citizenship application for yourself and send an update email with that reference number to your spouse's pending PR application with ICA, stating that you applied for citizenship (this may not even be necessary as ICA updates the linked info automatically). Best case scenario both applications will benefit. Worst case may be no effect on outcome.

CashewNut

Post by CashewNut » Sat, 08 Jul 2017 12:20 pm

Would ICA consider it odd if a PR applies for citizenship himself but the wife (who is not PR) does not?

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Sat, 08 Jul 2017 12:54 pm

It should not be odd since non-PRs cannot apply for citizenship (except minors sponsored by SC parents/PR parents).

CashewNut

Post by CashewNut » Sat, 08 Jul 2017 1:02 pm

bro75 wrote:It should not be odd since non-PRs cannot apply for citizenship (except minors sponsored by SC parents/PR parents).
Ok thanks, that makes sense. My wife (Korean) would never give up her citizenship whereas I (Brit) would!

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Sat, 08 Jul 2017 1:05 pm

CashewNut wrote:Would ICA consider it odd if a PR applies for citizenship himself but the wife (who is not PR) does not?
Not necessarily. The fact that the spouse is not a PR (or has not been a PR for long enough) means s/he is not eligible and this requirement is set by ICA.

It may look odd if both are PR and one does not apply to keep the back door open. That said, this board has witnessed some who did this still had their SC approved.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 08 Jul 2017 2:57 pm

jamie9vardy wrote: Not necessarily. The fact that the spouse is not a PR (or has not been a PR for long enough) means s/he is not eligible and this requirement is set by ICA.

It may look odd if both are PR and one does not apply to keep the back door open. That said, this board has witnessed some who did this still had their SC approved.
+1 to the second paragraph.

Re first, at the time of submission ICA staff may suggest to include spouse for SC, even though spouse isn't even PR, few who said "yes" got SC as family, few didn't still succeed for non PR spouse.

If spouse says no To SC, while it may set alarm bells ringing, honestly I don't know how ICA will interpret the intention.

Mintygreen

Post by Mintygreen » Sat, 08 Jul 2017 5:19 pm

jamie9vardy wrote:

Myself

Spouse

Thanks!
Maybe you rephrase it as your chance instead of our chance.

Yourself
Desired nationality, ethnicity, gender, of childbearing age. However, a bit too soon to apply as you've just crossed the 2 years of SPR.

Spouse
Nationality and race have not been the flavour of the month in ICA for a while now. Unfortunately you cannot include him in your SC application as he is not an SPR.

[A Singapore PR may apply for Singapore citizenship if he/she is above 21 years old, and has resided continuously in Singapore as a PR for at least 2 years at the time of citizenship application. The spouse must also be a Singapore PR for at least 2 years, and be married for 2 years or more.]

A few questions for you:
- you mentioned in your previous that you used to commute in and out of SG for work daily. How long have you been residing continuously in SG since then?
- how long have you been married?
- is his PR application on his own merit (i.e. PTS) or sponsored by you?

I have been residing continuously in Singapore for 3 years and got married in March 2016. His PR application based on his own merit was rejected twice. And his current application is sponsored by me and still under appeal.

CashewNut

Post by CashewNut » Mon, 10 Jul 2017 8:04 am

Do they consider length of time in Singapore on an EP? I'm now 2 years PR. Before that 6 years on EP. Entire period has been continuous. Essentially 8 continuous years resident here.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 10 Jul 2017 3:17 pm

CashewNut wrote:Do they consider length of time in Singapore on an EP? I'm now 2 years PR. Before that 6 years on EP. Entire period has been continuous. Essentially 8 continuous years resident here.
Yes and no. Yes if thinking about length of service. No if you haven't had much in the way of advancement or income. However, if you are already at the zenith of the pecking order in your company, then it would obviously be a plus. Age would also have a bearing as well.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers