Singapore Expats

Business trip to Romania!

Discuss travel and holidays tips and advice here.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Business trip to Romania!

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 02 Jul 2017 10:05 pm

Wd40 wrote:Nice article. However I wonder why Hindu the religion has been used almost synonymous with India in this article. May be translation error? I guess Indians are referred to as Hindi/Hindu in Poland?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
Hare Rama Hare Krishna is. .. ;)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 02 Jul 2017 10:19 pm

Wd40 wrote:Nice article. However I wonder why Hindu the religion has been used almost synonymous with India in this article. May be translation error? I guess Indians are referred to as Hindi/Hindu in Poland?

It is a translation error but I can't blame Google because it's all rather complicated.
There is a word derived from the base India - Indianin, but it refers to the native (indigenous) people of both Americas. Indian, in Polish means Hindus, adj. is Hinduski, but there is also and adj. Indyjski that refers to India, but normally used for country/things reference rather than people reference.
Now, with the word hindus, it's even more funny because if written with capital letter, it refers to the citizen of India, but with the small letter it is a member of the religion group.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 02 Jul 2017 10:34 pm

x9200 wrote:

It is a translation error but I can't blame Google because it's all rather complicated.
There is a word derived from the base India - Indianin, but it refers to the native (indigenous) people of both Americas. Indian, in Polish means Hindus, adj. is Hinduski, but there is also and adj. Indyjski that refers to India, but normally used for country/things reference rather than people reference.
Now, with the word hindus, it's even more funny because if written with capital letter, it refers to the citizen of India, but with the small letter it is a member of the religion group.
That explains it. Very interesting though.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 03 Jul 2017 11:02 am

x9200 wrote: It is a translation error but I can't blame Google because it's all rather complicated.
in Singapore, most locals say they watched "Hindustani" movie- for Hindi Movies.

And in another country, all Indians are Hindi ! Including Sikhs wearing Turban. Including Pakistanis, Bangladeshi's and All around there.

And in Another country all Indians are Thamils.

And in another, all Indians are INJUNS, and when I hear the nursery Rhyme Ten Little Indian and the teacher flashes picture of a Sardarji - gave up telling them firstly how offensive the song is nowadays and secondly the song is about American / Red Indians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Little_Indians