Singapore Expats

Getting a teaching job

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
bau

Getting a teaching job

Post by bau » Tue, 20 Jun 2017 8:03 pm

Hi all,

I've been offered a job in Singapore, and my girlfriend – a teacher - is considering joining me. We'd like to know more about her prospects of getting a job as a teacher. She has an undergraduate diploma and three years of experience teaching elementary school at a private school in Washington DC.

- Is it too late to land a job for the upcoming school year?
- Does she have the requisite experience to land a job at a school in Singapore?
- What are some good teaching-related jobs she could consider as a backup if she's unable to land a job for the upcoming school year?
- Are there any particular online job boards or resources she should be looking at?

Many thanks!

bau

Re: Getting a teaching job

Post by bau » Tue, 20 Jun 2017 10:07 pm

Oh and we are both US citizens. Thanks again!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 21 Jun 2017 6:56 am

bau wrote:Hi all,

I've been offered a job in Singapore, and my girlfriend – a teacher - is considering joining me. We'd like to know more about her prospects of getting a job as a teacher. She has an undergraduate diploma and three years of experience teaching elementary school at a private school in Washington DC.

- Does she have the requisite experience to land a job at a school in Singapore?
- What are some good teaching-related jobs she could consider as a backup if she's unable to land a job for the upcoming school year?
- Are there any particular online job boards or resources she should be looking at?

Many thanks!
What will her pass be ?

bau

Post by bau » Wed, 21 Jun 2017 7:08 am

ecureilx wrote:
bau wrote:Hi all,

Many thanks!
What will her pass be ?
Not sure yet

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 21 Jun 2017 9:10 am

bau wrote: Not sure yet
You need to focus on that first.

If you can get a DP or something, the opportunities are lot.

If she has to qualify for an EP on her own self, it may be an uphill fight.

bau

Post by bau » Wed, 21 Jun 2017 9:58 am

ecureilx wrote:

Good to know – thanks ecureilx! I will look into whether we can get her a Long Term Visit Pass. I don't think we'd qualify for the DP since we aren't official married.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 22 Jun 2017 1:14 am

ecureilx wrote:

I disagree - my wife is a teacher in Singapore on an EP of her own - she found her job in Singapore. Plenty of schools are happy to hire trailing spouses/partners but they won't pay accomodation or leave allowances / fares.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 22 Jun 2017 7:41 am

PNGMK wrote: I disagree - my wife is a teacher in Singapore on an EP of her own - she found her job in Singapore. Plenty of schools are happy to hire trailing spouses/partners but they won't pay accomodation or leave allowances / fares.
+1

bau

Post by bau » Sat, 26 Aug 2017 6:38 am

Hey everyone,

I wanted to refresh this thread with a couple of followup questions, as we've book our tickets and will be arriving in Singapore soon! Also, the girlfriend I mentioned earlier is now my fiancée :D

- Jen has a bachelor's degree and 3 years of teaching experience, but she doesn't have a teaching credential or certificate. Will that make it difficult for her to find a teaching job?

- How should she go about finding a teaching job? She's particularly interested in International Schools. Is there any particular website or recruiter she should use?

Many thanks!
Nick

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 26 Aug 2017 9:27 am

bau wrote:Hey everyone,

I wanted to refresh this thread with a couple of followup questions, as we've book our tickets and will be arriving in Singapore soon! Also, the girlfriend I mentioned earlier is now my fiancée :D

- Jen has a bachelor's degree and 3 years of teaching experience, but she doesn't have a teaching credential or certificate. Will that make it difficult for her to find a teaching job?

- How should she go about finding a teaching job? She's particularly interested in International Schools. Is there any particular website or recruiter she should use?

Many thanks!
Nick

Every International School here has a careers section on their website. They are also usually keen for substitute teachers. Also ISS (International School Search) run a careers fair out this way.

I would recommend you search on Singapore American School, OFS, ICS and possibly some others as they will have last minute placement issues. I'm sure you aware school has already started.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!