Singapore Expats

Citizenship application withdrawal

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
wkwoods

Post by wkwoods » Thu, 14 Nov 2013 3:38 pm

If your children grow up here in the local system i.e., not at an Indian International School, it's unlikely that they will want to return to live in India. Heck, Singaporeans even find cities in the US and UK to be too unsafe. The longer they stay here, the more Kiasu and Kiasi they will become. If you leave them in limbo on a student pass, they may have difficulty fitting in. They might, for example, feel uncomfortable when the national anthem is played in school and everyone sings it. At 18, most kids want to continue doing what their friends are doing and they are likely to want to do NS at that point. If they escape NS, they also disconnect with their friends for 2 years and this could be negative for their psyche.

The Govt said publicly that the rate of Indian migration to Singapore has become too high when Indians rose to 9% of the population from 7% in the period 2005-2010. If you get through this last step to SC, you might be one of the few Indians who is getting this now difficult to obtain privilege.

Taxes in Singapore are among the lowest in the world. You and your wife are relative high earners probably in the top 5% in Singapore and likely to become quite wealthy. You want a country that doesn't tax your passive income and other things like capital gains in retirement. It makes a big difference in your quality of living when you are old if you work and save in a low tax environment.

Lastly, almost anything can happen with your kids. They could end up studying in the U.S./Australia/UK when they go to University and live there for the rest of their lives. They could also go wrong, be rebellious, steal and beat people and end up in a reform home. Given this great uncertainty, just look out for what you and your wife want. The kids will chart their own destiny. You shouldn't be trying to plan the rest of their lives.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 14 Nov 2013 4:50 pm

^^This.

But your last sentence contradicts everything Indian, culturally. It's almost impossible to break out of that mold, even if they've never actually lived in India. :roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

newbunny

Post by newbunny » Sun, 17 Nov 2013 10:49 pm

WKWoods. Thank you. yes, we are planning on local schools for the kids.

SMS :) sterotypes aside, not planning the kids' future.. on the contrary, the rethink if you can call it that, is motivated precisely by the desire to not restrict/bind kids choices/aspirations/dreams in the future.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 17 Nov 2013 11:59 pm

That seems to be the major disconnect that almost all Indians I know seem to have. This feeling of having to guide them in the direction that they feel is necessary without giving a thought to how the child might feel. I agree with the other poster, regarding growing up here. What happens when they spend their entire formative years here in Singapore, even if they DO go to local schools. If you have made the commitment to retire here and do take up citizenship with giving the opportunity to you children, upon the males reaching their 21 birthday, their Student Visas will be canceled and they will be made to leave the country that they grew up in. A girl, as long as she is single, will be allowed to stay with the parents on an LTVP, but a boy will not be allowed to stay at all unless he can get a job and gain an EP. Without experience, that's not likely to happen. there you have jerked the rug from under his feet. By then he probably will have lifelong friend, and possibly a girlfriend, whom he will have to leave as he cannot stay in Singapore. Good possibility he may start resenting what his parents have done to him.

If you think this is a pipe dream, I told my boss this 8 years ago while his son was one of the International Schools here in Singapore. My boss is a local but married to a european woman. Both children were born in the UK where my boss worked in the banking industry for 22 years. When his eldest was born (a girl) he obtained Singaporean Citizenship for her but when the boy was born, he did not, opting to keep him on a Student Pass to avoid NS. I told my boss what was going to happen but he didn't believe me. His daughter is now a lawyer here in Singapore and his son it a student in the Uk but as he is now over 21, he cannot come to Singapore except on a standard SVP only. Screwed. He has tried every which way but Sunday to get around it and is a card carrying PAP member but it's to no avail. He's royally screwed his son. Please don't make the same mistake.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

newbunny

Post by newbunny » Mon, 18 Nov 2013 1:11 am

SMS: noted and fully agree. In the final analysis, it is turning out to be a choice between packing up/preparing to leave in next few years (whole family) or biting the bullet. Not looking at half measures. Student pass route would be a stop-gap plan if we decide to leave.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 18 Nov 2013 6:39 am

Yep Keith Steele would agree. 3 high flying sons and they can't ever work in Singapore even though they grew up and went to school here. They've had job offers in the top echelons of industry here as well.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 18 Nov 2013 8:49 am

Just curious, who is Keith Steele? I have seen you mentioned this name atleast twice now. Is he some famous personality? I googled his named but couldn't find anything.

bluetopinkorblue

Re: Citizenship application withdrawal

Post by bluetopinkorblue » Fri, 20 May 2016 6:49 pm

Any chance someone or (newbunny himself) knows how this ended.

To say that this situation sounds familiar is an understatement :)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 20 May 2016 10:37 pm

In my example, He's finished his MSc in the UK and has been back for a 1.5 years playing the hide and seek game with week long trips to Bali or Myanmar where we have recently just set up in Yangon (He's MD of that company as it puts him close to SG but will be spending 3 weeks a month there now instead of burning the candle at both ends. I've applied for EP for him several times. Always rejected with the same admonishment from MOM. Your EP is pending your clearing your Issues with the CMPB. The problem is that while he was always here in the Int' School, The father is a Singaporean. Therefore the ruse is obvious.

Travel-Island

Post by Travel-Island » Mon, 19 Jun 2017 9:02 pm

Hi All,

I would like to get your advice on the following.

My profile:
Chinese, PR 10 years plus;

I applied for the citizenship application last year ago before I was diagnosed serious illness. After I know I had diagnosed serious illness. Was asking SGJ for further extend my SGJ. And they approve my SG Citizenship.

Now I am having a rethink wanted to check what will happen if I give up my SG Citizenship they had just approve? I have thought through this aspect at the point of application and my family worries about me to convert as a SGC, especially I am not well now and alone no body to take care here.

1. What will it happen if I give up?
2. Will it impact my PR and renewal?
3. Can I still hold my PR and continue work here?
4. Are they gonna cancel my PR?
5. Is it a better option to withdraw than to reject?

Thank you.
Travel-Island

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 20 Jun 2017 3:06 pm

Travel-Island wrote:Hi All,

I would like to get your advice on the following.

My profile:
Chinese, PR 10 years plus;

I applied for the citizenship application last year ago before I was diagnosed serious illness. After I know I had diagnosed serious illness. Was asking SGJ for further extend my SGJ. And they approve my SG Citizenship.

Now I am having a rethink wanted to check what will happen if I give up my SG Citizenship they had just approve? I have thought through this aspect at the point of application and my family worries about me to convert as a SGC, especially I am not well now and alone no body to take care here.

1. What will it happen if I give up?
2. Will it impact my PR and renewal?
3. Can I still hold my PR and continue work here?
4. Are they gonna cancel my PR?
5. Is it a better option to withdraw than to reject?

Thank you.
Travel-Island

You can write to them and indicate that because of your illness and no one to support you, you are not accepting the citizenship.

It won't impact your PR Renewal.