Singapore Expats

Overstayed, how serious?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
x9200

Re: Overstayed, how serious?

Post by x9200 » Wed, 01 Mar 2017 4:06 pm

patel.madhvi12 wrote:Hi,
need advice..

I am here on short term visit pass and is expired on 23rd feb, 2017...
I got IPA letter for my temporary work permit on 22nd feb, 2017.. which was my part of study( ojt )
I still here in singapore with my IPA letter..
My employer told me that you can stay with IPA..

Is it make any problem to stay with IPA letter? IPA letter told that you have to get work permit card before march 07, 2017..

Please help me about this situation...
Thank you
I wonder, what you are actually waiting for. Any basic instinct not to mention common sense should tell you, to immediately go to MoM and have the procedure finalized especially that you clearly have doubts. Yes, IPA is not a visa. Some IPA may contain it, but even in such case I don't think it simply works extending you STVP.

FYI, it's not that uncommon for people having IPA to be refused the entry. I recall at least 2 cases like this reported on this forum within pas 6 months (or so).

ZanYu_Zake

Post by ZanYu_Zake » Sat, 17 Jun 2017 12:17 pm

May I ask can I still travel to Singapore after payed overstaying fine?? I'm from Malaysia.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 17 Jun 2017 1:34 pm

ZanYu_Zake wrote:May I ask can I still travel to Singapore after payed overstaying fine?? I'm from Malaysia.
Yes. You may get refused entry on arrival. Nobody knows except ICA

ZanYu_Zake

Post by ZanYu_Zake » Sat, 17 Jun 2017 2:57 pm

ecureilx wrote:
ZanYu_Zake wrote:May I ask can I still travel to Singapore after payed overstaying fine?? I'm from Malaysia.
So thats means I still can travel to Singapore right?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 17 Jun 2017 3:42 pm

ZanYu_Zake wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
You can travel to Singapore regardless you paid or not (probably not even possible not to pay this or that way). The fact you've paid doesn't mean you are clear. It is not like paying made your offense forgotten and spent and your record clear. This doesn't stop you from traveling and you may still be let in, but your record will show, so you take the risk of being sent back.

ZanYu_Zake

Post by ZanYu_Zake » Sun, 18 Jun 2017 6:31 pm

x9200 wrote:
ZanYu_Zake wrote:
ecureilx wrote: Yes. You may get refused entry on arrival. Nobody knows except ICA
You can travel to Singapore regardless you paid or not (probably not even possible not to pay this or that way). The fact you've paid doesn't mean you are clear. It is not like paying made your offense forgotten and spent and your record clear. This doesn't stop you from traveling and you may still be let in, but your record will show, so you take the risk of being sent back.
Ouh I see. That's the meaning. So I still can travel to Singapore but there a risk if got any problem I will be sent back imediately right? Is that meaning?

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Sun, 18 Jun 2017 7:12 pm

ZanYu_Zake wrote:
x9200 wrote:
ZanYu_Zake wrote:
Ouh I see. That's the meaning. So I still can travel to Singapore but there a risk if got any problem I will be sent back imediately right? Is that meaning?
http://twc2.org.sg/2011/08/06/fact-shee ... to-caning/
Unlawful entry or presence in Singapore
(3) Any person who contravenes, without reasonable cause, this section shall be guilty of an offence and —
in the case where he remains unlawfully for a period not exceeding 90 days, shall be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding $4,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or to both;

Overstay not just fine. You might get jail too or you can have both.

ZanYu_Zake

Post by ZanYu_Zake » Mon, 19 Jun 2017 2:56 pm

therat wrote:
ZanYu_Zake wrote:
x9200 wrote: You can travel to Singapore regardless you paid or not (probably not even possible not to pay this or that way). The fact you've paid doesn't mean you are clear. It is not like paying made your offense forgotten and spent and your record clear. This doesn't stop you from traveling and you may still be let in, but your record will show, so you take the risk of being sent back.
http://twc2.org.sg/2011/08/06/fact-shee ... to-caning/
Unlawful entry or presence in Singapore
(3) Any person who contravenes, without reasonable cause, this section shall be guilty of an offence and —
in the case where he remains unlawfully for a period not exceeding 90 days, shall be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding $4,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or to both;

Overstay not just fine. You might get jail too or you can have both.
Ouh I remembered that i been fine and warning by Imigrations in 2014. If now I wanna travel to Singapore again, I still can get in to Singapore or not?

giantbok

Post by giantbok » Mon, 19 Jun 2017 4:24 pm

Actually same thing happened to my son who is on long term pass. I missed out the renewal date and he overstayed for 6 days if i recalled correctly. I went to ICA and check it out with them and the officer asked me to apply a new long term pass, they gave a white card with 60 days visit pass and asked me to write a letter to explain why my son overstayed. ICA did not require me to pay a fine.

ZanYu_Zake

Post by ZanYu_Zake » Mon, 19 Jun 2017 5:37 pm

giantbok wrote:Actually same thing happened to my son who is on long term pass. I missed out the renewal date and he overstayed for 6 days if i recalled correctly. I went to ICA and check it out with them and the officer asked me to apply a new long term pass, they gave a white card with 60 days visit pass and asked me to write a letter to explain why my son overstayed. ICA did not require me to pay a fine.
Ouh. I remembered mine is when I wanna pass through Imigration from Singapore to Malaysia, they block me and take me to office. Then they ask why overstayed and fine me. they said if cant pay fine cant go to Malaysia. So I paid about 100++SD if I not remebered wrongly. Then I forgot who said that if overstayed, after paid the fine couple days or months cant go to Singapore. But I don't know is true or not.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 19 Jun 2017 8:52 pm

giantbok wrote:Actually same thing happened to my son who is on long term pass. I missed out the renewal date and he overstayed for 6 days if i recalled correctly. I went to ICA and check it out with them and the officer asked me to apply a new long term pass, they gave a white card with 60 days visit pass and asked me to write a letter to explain why my son overstayed. ICA did not require me to pay a fine.
Few days plus over stay on family reasons don't cause much trauma.

Raerae1988

Post by Raerae1988 » Tue, 17 Oct 2017 10:03 pm

Hey guys, have a question to ask. I have a friend from Korea came to Singapore to look for a job without applying any sort of pass. Shortly after, he found a job and started working. (I supposed that is not allowed?) I asked him if his company is applying work permit for him or not, he said his boss only want to apply for him if he passed his probation period. Then last weekend he went to JB with his friends and he denied entry back to Singapore as he overstayed. He travelled alone to KL and took a flight from there back to Korea. I contacted him and reminded him to check with his office if the work permit is approved or not. He said it is approved. But he is worried about whether the custom will block him or not. As a Singaporean, can I do anything to vouch for him? Should his office provide any letter to prove?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 17 Oct 2017 10:53 pm

Raerae1988 wrote:Hey guys, have a question to ask. I have a friend from Korea came to Singapore to look for a job without applying any sort of pass. Shortly after, he found a job and started working. (I supposed that is not allowed?) I asked him if his company is applying work permit for him or not, he said his boss only want to apply for him if he passed his probation period. Then last weekend he went to JB with his friends and he denied entry back to Singapore as he overstayed. He travelled alone to KL and took a flight from there back to Korea. I contacted him and reminded him to check with his office if the work permit is approved or not. He said it is approved. But he is worried about whether the custom will block him or not. As a Singaporean, can I do anything to vouch for him? Should his office provide any letter to prove?
He can write in to ICA

ICA will say on arrival visa is at the discretion of the officer

What kind of employer says will apply pass if pass probation?

Dodgy

Exploitation

How long he over stayed?

Raerae1988

Post by Raerae1988 » Wed, 18 Oct 2017 1:54 am

I’m not sure the exact date he arrived in singapore. But I think he overstayed for 2 weeks. (Petrified!) what kind of letters should he send to ica? Like describing the whole fact? I think my friend mistaken that he can stay here for 90 days. (Which have to apply with ica).

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 18 Oct 2017 4:20 pm

If he does that, surely die-die. Then they will know he overstayed AND was working illegally as well.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers