Singapore Expats

Wife's PR Application Rejected, what should I do next?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
x9200

Re: Wife's PR Application Rejected, what should I do next?

Post by x9200 » Tue, 13 Jun 2017 11:29 am

Barnsley wrote:
renaldy wrote: But most importantly we want to BTO
This is my favourite part of Singapore culture .... whether for marriage or now a change in status , just so you can apply for a place to live, folk doing stuff not because of what they may actually want but because the system force them to do.

What a beautiful start to a relationship/marriage.

Why did the Government create such a system where things have to be forced on you by the Government instead of wanted by individual. That surely means that the system isn't working.

In this case , the guy is a citizen , why restrict him if he is married already??
I guess the cases of marriages of convenience must be very common.

TBH, I found much more disturbing whats going on around common low marriages.

renaldy

Post by renaldy » Tue, 13 Jun 2017 11:38 am

x9200 wrote: I found much more disturbing whats going on around common low marriages.
interesting, could you elaborate more on what you mean? im quite ignorant towards things of these natural

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 13 Jun 2017 11:47 am

renaldy wrote:
x9200 wrote: I found much more disturbing whats going on around common low marriages.
interesting, could you elaborate more on what you mean? im quite ignorant towards things of these natural
If you are not married but you are in a long term common law relationship you may have a lot of troubles to bring your spouse to Singapore. Singapore gov only recognizes such relationships if the specific country recognizes it formally and is willing to certify for it. For examples, British HC doesn't do it any longer, so if one is British, children, unmarried spouse etc etc. and s/he gets a job offer in Singapore either the spouse has to find also a job (get EP) or the only other option for getting a residential pass is to get married.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 13 Jun 2017 5:52 pm

renaldy wrote:well.. PR comes with CPF, and we both feel it is better for retirement if she gets CPF as early as possible. But most importantly we want to BTO, for example the latest project is Yishun and the price was pretty good, but we were unable to BTO because she's holding onto LTVP.
I am sure you know the govt has a different view when it comes to rushed jobs, rushed marriages etc.

If your target is BTO, are you sure that's the reason for PR ? I am sure you can go and talk to HDB. Unless your equally important need is CPF Saving ! Good luck getting through the hoops.

Are you chinese BTW ?
Barnsley wrote:In this case , the guy is a citizen , why restrict him if he is married already??
Because a couple of guys went haywire, Singapore Inc has formalised everything ;)

So 1 out of a 100,000 marriages was scam, the rest are being closely scrutinised as well, to make sure the mistake doesn't happen :D

renaldy

Post by renaldy » Tue, 13 Jun 2017 7:08 pm

ecureilx wrote: If your target is BTO, are you sure that's the reason for PR ? I am sure you can go and talk to HDB. Unless your equally important need is CPF Saving ! Good luck getting through the hoops.
i get where you are coming from, that govt has a different view. and it certainly is a tough job trying to filter the fake marriages from the real ones

for me to put it upfront to you that my reason for wanting my wife to have a PR early is because we wish to BTO, yes it sounds rush and doesnt seem like a valid excuse. but let me break it down for you..

I'm 27 this year, BTO flat will take around 5 years to complete. Which means that had my wife gotten her PR i will be 32 by then, and this number keeps increasing as her PR gets rejected *touch wood* in future applications.

now, lets imagine the age gap i'm gonna have with my children, by the time they are in their young adult stage, i may very well be withered and old and unable to spend time with them. of course that's a slightly dramatic way of seeing things, but i hope you get my drift.

on the other hand, why should my life planning be pushed back just because of some failed application? why should one be worried about things like PR/LTVP applications? everyone should be entitled to be with their loved ones. now imagine a guy with no degree, low paying job, and yet found his true love in a foreign land, do you think his wife can get a LTVP? chances are very slim against him, but why should one made to lose his loved one in such a manner?

i guess the point i'm trying to make is, at least for SC with foreign spouse, government should give benefit of the doubt. afterall, if it was indeed a marriage by convenience, it is very easy to track down the SC spouse and penalise him/her.

so let me in turn question you, what would then be a "good" reason to want to get PR? this is after the obvious assumption that the foreign spouse is keen to stay and get rooted in singapore.
ecureilx wrote: Are you chinese BTW ?
and.. to answer your question, yes I'm a chinese.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 13 Jun 2017 10:28 pm

renaldy wrote: I'm 27 this year, BTO flat will take around 5 years to complete. Which means that had my wife gotten her PR i will be 32 by then, and this number keeps increasing as her PR gets rejected *touch wood* in future applications.
Good Lord. You really have your life mapped out. Now it's a bit late to have married a high paying spouse yeah ? ;) no offence.

Keep up your Singapore Dream - again no offence.

PS, a silly thought. Maybe your pretty young wife has caused doubts ? Anyway you are committed, so just do what you have planned to do! Good luck.

Anyway, as a Chinese, you may get lucky once you have a kid .. unless your wife has no plans to have a kid until you have your BTO.

And why not get a resale flat instead of being star struck on BTO ?

Oh, why didn't you marry a Singaporean girl if you had your life plans charted out so closely ? ;) I guess Singapore girls have their own plans charted out as well. That includes not getting pregnant so early.

renaldy

Post by renaldy » Wed, 14 Jun 2017 7:03 am

ecureilx wrote:
renaldy wrote: I'm 27 this year, BTO flat will take around 5 years to complete. Which means that had my wife gotten her PR i will be 32 by then, and this number keeps increasing as her PR gets rejected *touch wood* in future applications.
Good Lord. You really have your life mapped out. Now it's a bit late to have married a high paying spouse yeah ? ;) no offence.

Keep up your Singapore Dream - again no offence.

PS, a silly thought. Maybe your pretty young wife has caused doubts ? Anyway you are committed, so just do what you have planned to do! Good luck.

Anyway, as a Chinese, you may get lucky once you have a kid .. unless your wife has no plans to have a kid until you have your BTO.

And why not get a resale flat instead of being star struck on BTO ?

Oh, why didn't you marry a Singaporean girl if you had your life plans charted out so closely ? ;) I guess Singapore girls have their own plans charted out as well. That includes not getting pregnant so early.
im not sure what you are trying to achieve with your sarcastic and provocative manner of speech, if you are going to continue with that, i wont be drawn into any further discussion with you. for the time being though, thanks for the advice :)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 14 Jun 2017 7:36 am

renaldy wrote: im not sure what you are trying to achieve with your sarcastic and provocative manner of speech, if you are going to continue with that, i wont be drawn into any further discussion with you. for the time being though, thanks for the advice :)
Partly tongue in cheek, partly stating the facts facing you and no sarcasm at all.

No sir, I am not provoking you but to reiterate, you have a planned out your life with no room for error.

Good luck in any case !! I do admire your serious long term plans.

PS I am honest when I say as a Chinese citizen, you can push ICA through appeals via MPS and you may beat the suggested 3 year wait.