Singapore Expats

Moving to USA, transferring helper, shipping stuff..any advice?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Kaymistry

Moving to USA, transferring helper, shipping stuff..any advice?

Post by Kaymistry » Fri, 02 Jun 2017 7:11 pm

We are American & Thai couple with a 6-year-old, moving from SG to US this September.
So many things to do in such a little time. Any advice on the following topics please? Much appreciate your time and effort answering me.

1) I have a good filipino helper (a university drop-out due to poverty, with training and certificate in F&B in Singapore). I am trying to help her transfer to a good employer but I have no idea where to go without paying so much agent fee. She is the only bread winner for the family.

2) I need to ship so much stuff. Thrown and given a way a lot. Left only kid's toys and stuff with sentimental value. Probably around 20 big pieces of big 27" luggage. Any shipping provider that has packing and pick-up service?

3) Transferring money from SG account to US. I maintain the account here as I bought small property for renting out. What is a good way to transfer the money (rent) to my US account taking tax into consideration?

Thank you very much.