Singapore Expats

Air traffic controller

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
ahboy25
Regular
Regular

Re: Air traffic controller

Post by ahboy25 » Fri, 02 Jun 2017 12:40 pm

jtzw1988 wrote:
ahboy25 wrote:
jtzw1988 wrote:

able to share your timeline from when u apply till the end process of signing the papers? actually its my second time applying and taking the test. the other time the rejection email comes 2 week after the test
This was my timeline-
May 2016- applied
1st June- aptitude test
7th July- initial contact informing me the intake was full and to expect interviews in September.
27th September- 1st interview
8th November- Orientation
17th November- Final interview
16th December- Signing of LOA/medical checkup
2nd February- 1st day

You can use this as a gauge. Do take note that not everyone does the above things on the same day. E.g medical could be on different dates, LOA signing could be different as well, subject to you and their availability.

awesome. thanks! based on your timeline. I am still looking ok? hahaha!

just curious. did u actually managed to complete all section of the test? I am not able to for some section of the test.
Ya still looking ok haha!

And nope there were some sections that I couldn't complete fully. Some I did, but wasn't confident that it was all ok. Some I just couldn't be bothered and just skimped through

jtzw1988

Post by jtzw1988 » Fri, 02 Jun 2017 2:27 pm

ahboy25 wrote:
jtzw1988 wrote:
ahboy25 wrote:
This was my timeline-
May 2016- applied
1st June- aptitude test
7th July- initial contact informing me the intake was full and to expect interviews in September.
27th September- 1st interview
8th November- Orientation
17th November- Final interview
16th December- Signing of LOA/medical checkup
2nd February- 1st day

You can use this as a gauge. Do take note that not everyone does the above things on the same day. E.g medical could be on different dates, LOA signing could be different as well, subject to you and their availability.

awesome. thanks! based on your timeline. I am still looking ok? hahaha!

just curious. did u actually managed to complete all section of the test? I am not able to for some section of the test.
Ya still looking ok haha!

And nope there were some sections that I couldn't complete fully. Some I did, but wasn't confident that it was all ok. Some I just couldn't be bothered and just skimped through
for me its the pin ball section that kinda got me there. Its only after a few rounds then I realized that I should hit the keys even if the balls goes missing!!I mean! argh!! after missing so many times?! I suspect that is why I din make it 2 years back!

oh! is there any age limit at entry? understand that US have a limit of 30 after that age you cannot apply to be ATCO any more.

ahboy25
Regular
Regular

Post by ahboy25 » Fri, 02 Jun 2017 4:25 pm

jtzw1988 wrote:
for me its the pin ball section that kinda got me there. Its only after a few rounds then I realized that I should hit the keys even if the balls goes missing!!I mean! argh!! after missing so many times?! I suspect that is why I din make it 2 years back!

oh! is there any age limit at entry? understand that US have a limit of 30 after that age you cannot apply to be ATCO any more.
Oh you mean the disappearing ball and the wall one? That test was a "wtf" moment for me too. I kind of smashed all the numbers when I realized I did it wrongly (somehow I got in?) but ya that one was an interesting one.

I'm not sure if there's an age limit, but there's people reaching 30 in my cohort and still here. So basing on your nickname with a 1988, I guess that that is your birth year? You should be fine. I'm '89 anyway so if here is an age limit then I'm pushing it too

Niner_niner_wun

Post by Niner_niner_wun » Fri, 02 Jun 2017 4:28 pm

Hello ahboy25, could you share your experience during the course?

ahboy25
Regular
Regular

Post by ahboy25 » Fri, 02 Jun 2017 4:33 pm

Niner_niner_wun wrote:Hello ahboy25, could you share your experience during the course?
This course is no joke. Non-stop studying. Fresh grads should be used to it but those who have already worked a few years will have to de-rust the brains. 16 modules, 13 of which have a 70% passing mark, 3 of which 85%. BUT, instructors are not out to fail you, just study hard and ask questions. There's no stupid questions (even ones like "does an aircraft have a reverse gear" -_-") but it is fun la. No problem afteryou get used to the pace

jtzw1988

Post by jtzw1988 » Fri, 02 Jun 2017 4:34 pm

Niner_niner_wun wrote:Hello ahboy25, could you share your experience during the course?
the course don seem too tough for him? hahaha! he's always so active in this forum! :P

ahboy25
Regular
Regular

Post by ahboy25 » Fri, 02 Jun 2017 4:42 pm

jtzw1988 wrote:
the course don seem too tough for him? hahaha! he's always so active in this forum! :P
Hahaha, no la there's no such thing as a breeze through the course especially with modules like air navigation (you'll find out soon enough XD). But like I said, I try to provide as much info for potential PATCOs to be as prepared. Even when you guys do make it in, I can provide some help if needed in SAA haha.

Nine-nine-wun knows how it is XD

Niner_niner_wun

Post by Niner_niner_wun » Fri, 02 Jun 2017 4:44 pm

jtzw1988 wrote:

The reason I put that question out there was because. I noticed everyone asking about getting the. Job instead of asking what the journey after getting the job is going to be like
Last edited by Niner_niner_wun on Fri, 19 Jan 2018 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jtzw1988

Post by jtzw1988 » Fri, 02 Jun 2017 4:53 pm

Niner_niner_wun wrote:
jtzw1988 wrote:
Well I went through the course with ahboy25 and I would say it isn't like a walk in the park BUT with extra effort its not an easy course to fail.

The reason I put that question out there was because. I noticed everyone asking about getting the. Job instead of asking what the journey after getting the job is going to be like.
hi both! someone's slacking while at "work". hahhaa! I think I am ok studying given the industry I am in, we study a lot to get out license too. The difference is one is self funded, the other is funded by company and still gets paid studying.

ahboy25
Regular
Regular

Post by ahboy25 » Fri, 02 Jun 2017 4:59 pm

jtzw1988 wrote:
Niner_niner_wun wrote:
jtzw1988 wrote:
Well I went through the course with ahboy25 and I would say it isn't like a walk in the park BUT with extra effort its not an easy course to fail.

The reason I put that question out there was because. I noticed everyone asking about getting the. Job instead of asking what the journey after getting the job is going to be like.
hi both! someone's slacking while at "work". hahhaa! I think I am ok studying given the industry I am in, we study a lot to get out license too. The difference is one is self funded, the other is funded by company and still gets paid studying.
Nah now it's down time, and we have everything's done and dusted... for now. So all's good! Well since you're used to studying then it'll only be to your advantage here! Fingers crossed you get through!

jtzw1988

Post by jtzw1988 » Fri, 02 Jun 2017 5:10 pm

Niner_niner_wun wrote:
jtzw1988 wrote:

how is the training like for new PATCO? Any simulation kinda training? I used to be doing IT and supporting air force school C3 training room so I am under the impression that the simulation room is dark with all the radar equipment?

how is the shift when doing OJT? how izit like the 1st year you are in SAA? Are you able to take leave etc?

ahboy25
Regular
Regular

Post by ahboy25 » Fri, 02 Jun 2017 5:24 pm

jtzw1988 wrote:
Niner_niner_wun wrote:
jtzw1988 wrote:

how is the training like for new PATCO? Any simulation kinda training? I used to be doing IT and supporting air force school C3 training room so I am under the impression that the simulation room is dark with all the radar equipment?

how is the shift when doing OJT? how izit like the 1st year you are in SAA? Are you able to take leave etc?
First phase is pretty much 90% theory except for modules which require you to be familiar with the simulators then ya you get to go in and play around on the simulators. Other than that, most of the time is spent in the classrooms.

You'll find that the simulation rooms are anything but dark. It's brightly lit and aircon cold as hell. Same goes for satcc.

Shifts are split into 3 shifts, morning afternoon and night. As for the rest of your questions, we aren't one year in yet so I can't answer it wholly yet hahaha! But so far it's all good! (Not so much what we heard for the next phase of training though)

jtzw1988

Post by jtzw1988 » Fri, 02 Jun 2017 5:27 pm

ahboy25 wrote:
jtzw1988 wrote:
Niner_niner_wun wrote: Well I went through the course with ahboy25 and I would say it isn't like a walk in the park BUT with extra effort its not an easy course to fail.

First phase is pretty much 90% theory except for modules which require you to be familiar with the simulators then ya you get to go in and play around on the simulators. Other than that, most of the time is spent in the classrooms.

You'll find that the simulation rooms are anything but dark. It's brightly lit and aircon cold as hell. Same goes for satcc.

Shifts are split into 3 shifts, morning afternoon and night. As for the rest of your questions, we aren't one year in yet so I can't answer it wholly yet hahaha! But so far it's all good! (Not so much what we heard for the next phase of training though)
So if during training you alrdy have plan for holiday? Able to go off?

Niner_niner_wun

Post by Niner_niner_wun » Fri, 02 Jun 2017 5:31 pm

jtzw1988 wrote:
ahboy25 wrote:
jtzw1988 wrote:

Last edited by Niner_niner_wun on Fri, 19 Jan 2018 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ahboy25
Regular
Regular

Post by ahboy25 » Fri, 02 Jun 2017 5:45 pm

jtzw1988 wrote:
ahboy25 wrote:
jtzw1988 wrote:

There's block leave after each phase of training so you can go then! like 1 week or so depending on your cohort