Singapore Expats

Considering a move from the US to Singapore with an autistic child

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
x9200

Re: Considering a move from the US to Singapore with an autistic child

Post by x9200 » Mon, 21 Mar 2016 4:42 pm

merichan wrote:That's how we ended up going the local school way ( that was before current tightening of inscription), they were the only ones not asking what conditions our child had, only interested to know if child could keep up with academic level.
Yep. The situation on the marked is such that there are many many more kids in need than places in the ISs so vast majority of ISs accept only those who they think they will have less problems with. It has nothing to do with help, education, therapy. Pure business and self-serving convenience. Some may even accept low functioning kid to the mainstream classes as long as he or she makes no troubles. Making any reasonable progress is not required and paying for the school organized therapies (regardless of the quality) may be. Later, one day the kid may just be kicked out what is less damaging anyway to all the years the kid had wasted staying in such institution.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 21 Mar 2016 4:52 pm

OP - you need to visit and assess the schools and chances of acceptance before moving out. That's my final word.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

BQOI

Post by BQOI » Sun, 27 Mar 2016 2:57 am

Thank you to everyone who posted in response to my question, both publicly and through private messaging. The information you provided was extremely helpful and I appreciate your candor. After weighing the options, we have decided to stay where we are. Had it not been for our family issues, I think my husband and I would have liked living in Singapore very much, but I don't think it's in the cards for us, at least not for the time being. Thanks again for your time and generosity. BQOI.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 27 Mar 2016 8:38 am

I know this was a terribly difficult decision and that to feel constrained in ones career by your children can be dreadful and guilt inducing. Best wishes.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Sally_Sally

Post by Sally_Sally » Thu, 31 Mar 2016 5:36 am

Having lived in SG for 6+ years with Spec Needs Child (ASD+) I can give some advice on schools as I have had to move my son from the "highly recommended" school because the teacher was pinching him and hitting him with ruler to "help him learn to write". When I looked at next school, I was a lot more observant.
What I learned is that all the schools are profit businesses, and small classes do not support salary for a Qualified Spec Ed teacher from a "western" country. So, you will find that spec needs teachers, therapists are from 3rd world countries which do not have a culture of respect for spec needs individuals. These teachers are very inexpensive to employ and will be on different contracts to the "real" teachers. They may be happy smiling people, but not like teachers from home. The school will have all Western teachers for mainstream, and None in Spec Ed.
My advice, if you MUST move to Singapore, is to really open your eyes at the school visit. Do the classrooms have windows to the hallway - is the entire classroom visible from any observation window. Are some of the classrooms hidden? Ask about the teacher qualifications or look on the website - then look up the school to confirm that the school the teacher attended actually has the degree on offer that the teacher says they have. One school is run by a person claiming to have a Phd and the bio says is Psychologist but this person is neither - the school will not disclose where this "educator" got a Phd. Another is run by a person claiming to be Spec Ed teacher but actual US university degree is in "Communications".
Singapore is a different world if you are not coming from Asia. The SG universities don't teach Spec Ed to teachers - it is not topic covered. Children with Spec needs do not need to attend school in SG. The MOE is not too worried about education for expat spec needs child.
The school tells you about the very long wait list to get you desperate, they use this tactic to get you desperate enough to overlook problems and scare you not to complain.
If you are moving from some other part of Asia then SG will look great, but if you are in UK, Europe, Oz or USA and you child is in a good school, then don't move.
PLUS, there is only one very good developmental paediatrician in SG and there is a 18 month wait to see her. The SSNAP group is a help too - Singapore Spec Needs and Parents Facebook, parents will be candid if you ask the group a question.

ashersolomon

Post by ashersolomon » Fri, 02 Jun 2017 5:18 pm

Is searching for psychologists any good way of actually finding the facilities that do understand ASD?
I'm an european-academic-backgrounded psychologist-in-spe and we kinda heard that the very status of psychology and hence also disorders is not as established in some countries, i.e. Asian - that true you guys think?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 02 Jun 2017 5:53 pm

ashersolomon wrote:Is searching for psychologists any good way of actually finding the facilities that do understand ASD?
I'm an european-academic-backgrounded psychologist-in-spe and we kinda heard that the very status of psychology and hence also disorders is not as established in some countries, i.e. Asian - that true you guys think?
IMHO, it depends on severity of the case and complexity of the individual. If the case is very clear, i.e., ASD, low functioning, they will go by the book what probably is ok. If the case is somehow specific like SPD on the edge of ASD, then good luck finding the right therapist (also OT, ST). There are some but a few gems only.