Singapore Expats

Quitting a job with an EP only a few months after commencing work?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
ventolin

Quitting a job with an EP only a few months after commencing work?

Post by ventolin » Sun, 22 Jan 2017 12:02 pm

Hello

So I've been working at NTU as an admin staff now for 2 months now on an EP. But things just don't feel right for me. The job scope doesn't seem like a good fit for me and personally I am facing some struggles living in Singapore (I have never lived in a big city like this). I am thinking to resign by giving a 14 days notice but I'm not sure if I can do that (the employment is for a 1 year contract, but either party may terminate it with a notice).

Should I just submit a resignation letter and move on? I feel bad because they have conducted the staff search, interviews, dealing with MOM and HR... and the staff have been welcoming and warm. But I really doubt I can stay here for a long time.

duluoz1

Re: Quitting a job with an EP only a few months after commencing work?

Post by duluoz1 » Sun, 22 Jan 2017 10:33 pm

How will you continue to stay in Singapore without an EP?

Sent from my SM-A800I using Tapatalk

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 22 Jan 2017 10:42 pm

You will have to give 1 months's notice as the IRAS requires the employer to file a tax clearance (IR-21) 1 month before your final day of work. Additionally they will have to withhold any and all salaries from the time of your notice until they receive the tax clearance and pay your taxes. They will be required to deduct those taxes from your final paycheque. If you have been here less than 60 days and are leaving the country you will be given tax free status. However, if you have been here over 60 days (employed or not) but less than 183 day, you will be considered non-resident at will be taxes at a flat 15%. Should you subsequently find a new job, then any excess taxes you paid will be applied to your taxes at the end of the tax years once you final taxes have been re-figured.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ventolin

Post by ventolin » Mon, 29 May 2017 12:15 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:You will have to give 1 months's notice as the IRAS requires the employer to file a tax clearance (IR-21) 1 month before your final day of work. Additionally they will have to withhold any and all salaries from the time of your notice until they receive the tax clearance and pay your taxes. They will be required to deduct those taxes from your final paycheque. If you have been here less than 60 days and are leaving the country you will be given tax free status. However, if you have been here over 60 days (employed or not) but less than 183 day, you will be considered non-resident at will be taxes at a flat 15%. Should you subsequently find a new job, then any excess taxes you paid will be applied to your taxes at the end of the tax years once you final taxes have been re-figured.
I am resigning this August 1st and my commencement date was January 26, which in total would be 187 days. However in between these dates I have been out of the country for a few times for vacation (and shopping in JB lol) - do these days still count towards those 183 days?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 29 May 2017 2:20 pm

ventolin wrote: I am resigning this August 1st and my commencement date was January 26, which in total would be 187 days. However in between these dates I have been out of the country for a few times for vacation (and shopping in JB lol) - do these days still count towards those 183 days?
Yes, including the time you go home to sleep - all of it is Taxable :D

You pay tax from the start till end of your employment. Not how many days your worked or was eating snake.

ventolin

Post by ventolin » Mon, 29 May 2017 4:24 pm

ecureilx wrote:
ventolin wrote: I am resigning this August 1st and my commencement date was January 26, which in total would be 187 days. However in between these dates I have been out of the country for a few times for vacation (and shopping in JB lol) - do these days still count towards those 183 days?
Yes, including the time you go home to sleep - all of it is Taxable :D

You pay tax from the start till end of your employment. Not how many days your worked or was eating snake.
Aha, thank you. I don't eat snake but that clears things up! Thanks :D

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 29 May 2017 9:31 pm

ventolin wrote: Aha, thank you. I don't eat snake but that clears things up! Thanks :D
you know what it is meant by eating snake, in local lingo ? Means skiving !!!

ventolin

Post by ventolin » Mon, 29 May 2017 10:21 pm

ecureilx wrote:
ventolin wrote: Aha, thank you. I don't eat snake but that clears things up! Thanks :D
you know what it is meant by eating snake, in local lingo ? Means skiving !!!
Oh :o I had no idea lol #-o :oops: