Singapore Expats

Applying for PR soon, guess my chances

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
vokano

Applying for PR soon, guess my chances

Post by vokano » Tue, 27 Dec 2016 4:31 pm

Hi,

Just thought I'd start posting my (hopefully short) journey here for records and also it may be of benefit to others.

I will be submitting my PR application soon. If you feel like it, try to predict my outcome (approved / not-approved, % of success, etc) and I will let you know if you're right when I get my results.

Here are my details:

Male
30 years old
Single
Born Chinese with Canadian citizenship
Educated in reputable foreign university, bachelor's degree
Been in Singapore for a bit over 1 year
15K+ salary a month
Have PEP
1 Notice of Assessment only (but due to PEP, I will have to report my income 10 days after new years so it may count as 2 by the time they review my application)
Working in an IT oriented MNC
Bilingual (Chinese & English)

My own prediction: I probably will get rejected the first time like many others in the forum who have better qualifications than me and have stayed in Singapore longer than me before applying. However, many of the same people were approved the second time, so I guess I have to apply the first time before I can apply a second time.

The reason I may get approved is it seems like (at least anecdotally) many expats are leaving the country lately due to the receding economy therefore I may have less competition. Without knowing any actual numbers, this would just be a speculation.

Despite my prediction, I am still quietly hopeful I may get lucky!

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Re: Applying for PR soon, guess my chances

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 27 Dec 2016 5:10 pm

Too early for you to apply. Even if you report your salary to MOM 10 days after 1st January, it wont count as 2 NOA's.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 28 Dec 2016 11:25 am

vokano wrote: Born Chinese with Canadian citizenship
!
Does this mean you were born in China and are now a Canadian Citizen?

If so maybe that count against you also first time around as you look like a non-staying type of person.

However if you are already identifying yourself by your ethnicity before your nationality then you sound like you will fit right in here as you already talking the the talk of the local system.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

As is often said , you are guaranteed NOT to get PR if you don't apply :D
Life is short, paddle harder!!

vokano

Post by vokano » Wed, 28 Dec 2016 12:09 pm

SingaporeFlyer: Yep, you're right, may be too early to apply and have any confidence for approval... my general thinking is if I apply now, it'd take 4-6 months or longer for them to consider and likely reject me. On the rejection letter, they may say to wait six months to a year to try again. After this wait period, I'd be a bit more than two years in Singapore (with three NoAs) which would be the "recommended" time to apply. So whether this first application works or not, it should have little impact on the date in which I file my application after staying here for over two years.

All this is based on the assumption that first-time applications tend to not get approved so I just want to get that out of the way. Though this is stacking assumptions on top of anecdotal evidence based on other assumptions, definitely not the most reliable platform to stand on. At least applying is free and it can demonstrate to the government that I am ernest about becoming a PR, so there doesn't seem to be any harm. Hope this works out.

Barnsley: Yep, born in China and now a Canadian citizen. My Form 4A says the same. Day-to-day in SG though, I find myself often having to explain why I have a North American accent despite saying I am Chinese and looking Chinese, so I've been just introducing myself as Canadian to save time =)

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 28 Dec 2016 12:38 pm

vokano wrote: All this is based on the assumption that first-time applications tend to not get approved so I just want to get that out of the way
There are many cases where applicants have resided for 3+ years and had their PR on the first attempt.

Just my 2 cents, it is not going to be easy for you, as you have already taken Canadian Citizenship and now trying to get Singapore PR.

Also, don't wait for the rejection letter asking you to wait for 6 months to 1 year. Gone are those days and now it is very very rare.

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by brian_singapore » Thu, 29 Dec 2016 11:01 am

How old were you when you immigrated to Canada? Do you still hold Chinese Citizenship?

My wife is chinese ethnicity but immigrated to Canada as a small child with her family and received her citizenship as part of that.

None of this was ever articulated on our PR application (other then she was Canadian), but it was accepted. We also had a second nationality we added in our early 30s.... We applied as a family so our profile is very different, but it does suggest it's not necessarily a show-stopper as our application was accepted about 3 months ago.

thomasanoop76

Post by thomasanoop76 » Thu, 29 Dec 2016 11:46 am

I've been following this forum for 2 years silently, this is my first message. My sg pr application was approved yesterday - I feel the need to share my experience for the benefit of others others who might be in a similar situation.

My profile : Indian/male/ 40 years /married./ 2 male kids
Working in healthcare.
One of the restructured hospitals
Been in Singapore for 6.5 years
Wife IT qualified, currently not working.
Annual net income SGD 220K
Applied on 27/05/16(all 4 family members) approved on 27/12/16.
This is my second attempt.

First application in 2014.Rejected after 7 months.Letter said "you are welcome to continue on your current pass" (so called kiss of death)

Only a few things changed from first application to second one - pay increased from 180 K to 220K ( I got a minor promotion) and I had one more child.

Not sure if these are significant factors to change the verdict.I did not expect approval this time around; did not even put in a covering letter this time..
So in a nutshell, very difficult to second guess the decision making process...all the best to all of you languishing out there.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 29 Dec 2016 6:06 pm

I reckon with a 22% increase in salary, an additional male child, been here 50% longer than the first time and working in the healthcare sector all contributed to your current success.

Oh, and yeah, CONGRATULATIONS and thanks for the anecdotal data for our other readers. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 29 Dec 2016 6:14 pm

He has also crossed > 5 years of staying in SG. That matters too..

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 29 Dec 2016 6:20 pm

That too.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

vokano

Post by vokano » Thu, 25 May 2017 5:52 pm

Hi,

Just posting an update here for others' reference as promised originally.
My PR got approved last week!

Didn't expect to be approved but did, I am glad =)

Good luck to everyone else!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 25 May 2017 6:19 pm

vokano wrote:Hi,

Just posting an update here for others' reference as promised originally.
My PR got approved last week!

Didn't expect to be approved but did, I am glad =)

Good luck to everyone else!
Congrats.

I knew CBC are welcome :D Just kidding !!

Congrats anyway !